Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Love the RAV4
By primal_v

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2009 RAV4 4 2.5 litre 4 cylinder, base model, for my wife. Let me tell you this...if I were to get in it blind-folded, not knowing which vehicle I was in, I would have never guessed that it was a RAV4. The ride comfort is amazing! The independent suspension decreases body roll over uneven pavement. Road noise for a vehicle of this size is more than acceptable. Braking is smooth & quiet. It absorbs bumps in the road like they were nothing. Wind noise is average but better than most. Acceleration is excellent. I barely have to apply pressure to the throttle to get it to move. Without even having to stomp down on the pedal & the 4 cylinder turns into a monster & easily pulls away

Favorite Features

Engine is quite. 4 cylinder engine has good acceleration. Quite ride. Excellent handling. Smooth transmission. Comfortable seats. Rear seats recline & slide forward & backward. Light output is good. Low road noise. Handles well for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

I really don't have many complaints with this vehicle. I kind of wish that it had factory tinted windows & fog lamps but that's ok. Clear glass makes visibility better. Also the light for the rear door is actually on the door...so as you open it wide, it doesn't really illuminate the rear cargo area that well.

Great SUV
By Chuck from NY

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this used with 12K miles on it & couldn't be happier. Perfect size for our needs.

Favorite Features

Love the fuel mileage, getting 28 in commuter driving and 32 on highway at 70 MPH. Interior is roomy & very comfortable. Very surprised at the low noise level inside. Traded a 08 Nissan Altima & the RAV 4 is not much louder. Supurb looks & handling. DRLs, airbags, traction & stability control.

Suggested Improvements

Better antenna, FM seems to fade easily. Make heated mirrors standard as well as availability of Moon Roof on base model. Otherwise this SUV is just perfect.

Buy Cheap, Buy Often
By JHol

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The old saying goes, "Buy cheap, buy often." I purchased this car less than a month ago with Toyota in mind of having a reputation for reliability that is second to none in the industry. That was the main reason for looking at Toyota, even with the whole recall mess. I verified my model 2009 with vin starting with "J" was not part of the recent recall. We took the car on a road trip and got amazing gas mileage. I have the 4-cyl model and it was perfect. Plenty of room and even more incredible is the seats in back are adjustable and will slide back to maximize leg room. Great idea Toyota! Love the car!

Favorite Features

The back seats slide back to maximize leg room. Lots of storage compartments. Gas mileage is great for a vehicle this size! Not a dog either, good acceleration. Little mood lighting at night in center console area.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with most, the carpet is rather poor on this vehicle and hard to clean. You really need a strong vac to clean it.

No recall but beware
By Ricky

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife was picking up son from school in this vehicle and car accelerated with her foot on the brake. Took car to dealer and was told it was from Japan and no problems had been reported and no recalls we in effect. They did mash brake to try and duplicate problem but refused to replace anything. My wife and daughter get carsick so I have to ride in back seats when we travel as a family. Front seats are comfortable but rear is stiff and hard to adjust. We have bought 3 new Toyotas in our lifetime but this was our last. My wife was mad and scared after her experience so we traded for a Chevy the next weekend.

Favorite Features

Lots of engine power for a 4 cyl. We averaged 27 mpg. Lots of storage in rear compartments because of outside spare tire.

Suggested Improvements

Make safety number 1. Make back seats a little higher and softer. Put real carpet in. I don't know what that stuff is but its hard to vacuum.

Recall Jitters
By Ellen

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a magnificent car inside and out. Rides like a dream. Much better than CRV. Interior is laid out much better than any other small SUV. Joy of ownership blunted by Toyota woes. What a shame.

Favorite Features

Interior space, quiet, efficient engine, amazing MPG

Suggested Improvements

Remove all visible "Toyota" logos