2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Love the RAV4
By primal_v on 01/30/12 18:59 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2009 RAV4 4 2.5 litre 4 cylinder, base model, for my wife. Let me tell you this...if I were to get in it blind-folded, not knowing which vehicle I was in, I would have never guessed that it was a RAV4. The ride comfort is amazing! The independent suspension decreases body roll over uneven pavement. Road noise for a vehicle of this size is more than acceptable. Braking is smooth & quiet. It absorbs bumps in the road like they were nothing. Wind noise is average but better than most. Acceleration is excellent. I barely have to apply pressure to the throttle to get it to move. Without even having to stomp down on the pedal & the 4 cylinder turns into a monster & easily pulls away

Great SUV
By Chuck from NY on 06/20/10 10:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this used with 12K miles on it & couldn't be happier. Perfect size for our needs.

Buy Cheap, Buy Often
By JHol on 04/30/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The old saying goes, "Buy cheap, buy often." I purchased this car less than a month ago with Toyota in mind of having a reputation for reliability that is second to none in the industry. That was the main reason for looking at Toyota, even with the whole recall mess. I verified my model 2009 with vin starting with "J" was not part of the recent recall. We took the car on a road trip and got amazing gas mileage. I have the 4-cyl model and it was perfect. Plenty of room and even more incredible is the seats in back are adjustable and will slide back to maximize leg room. Great idea Toyota! Love the car!

No recall but beware
By Ricky on 04/05/10 20:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife was picking up son from school in this vehicle and car accelerated with her foot on the brake. Took car to dealer and was told it was from Japan and no problems had been reported and no recalls we in effect. They did mash brake to try and duplicate problem but refused to replace anything. My wife and daughter get carsick so I have to ride in back seats when we travel as a family. Front seats are comfortable but rear is stiff and hard to adjust. We have bought 3 new Toyotas in our lifetime but this was our last. My wife was mad and scared after her experience so we traded for a Chevy the next weekend.

Recall Jitters
By Ellen on 02/18/10 07:08 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a magnificent car inside and out. Rides like a dream. Much better than CRV. Interior is laid out much better than any other small SUV. Joy of ownership blunted by Toyota woes. What a shame.

Spongy brakes
By Joe Dallas on 02/10/10 12:23 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have been driving it for 5 months now. It is reliable so far. The I4 has enough power to get into hwy and passes. The folding backseat flat the trunk and accept large stuff. It average local 23 and highway 26 MPG. One thing that alerts me is it has spongy brake and can be very low when press it (about 1" from the floor). It takes too long to actually feel brake taking effect. A large foot may actually touch the gas padel unintentionally. It brakes fine though. Checked with the dealer service and was told "this is by design and it is normal." Thinking about the gas padel recall and then adding this spongy brake, the feeling is not very comforting. Generally it is a good car.

California Rav4
By KC on 08/28/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We own a generation 1 rav4 and have nearly 250,000 miles on it. We have a baby on the way and needed more room for a car seat. We test drove a few other makes and models and ultimately decided to buy a new rav4. I really enjoy the peppy 4cyl engine and the decent gas mileage. I am 6'1" tall and find the front leg room to be a bit lacking. Also, the new rav4 doesn't brake as well as our old rav4. However, the new rav4 turns easier and maneuvers better. I miss being able to park in the tiniest spaces, but hey now we have room for a stroller, groceries, and a car seat. I would recommend a 2009 rav4 to anyone looking for a small SUV that is lots of fun to drive.

I love my RAV4!
By Lynn on 08/24/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2009 Toyota RAV4 drives very smoothly, has a lot of pep for a 4 cyl and great visibility. I don't like driving in general and takes me a while to get used to a car, but I felt very at-ease with this car right from the beginning.

The Practical One
By Bob in Ohio on 08/13/09 16:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

One of the more practical vehicles on the road the 2009 Rav4 offers efficient packaging, two competent engines and enough safety and convenience to satisfy just about everyone. If you had to choose only one vehicle to transport a family, haul furniture and find its way through inclement weather this compact to mid-size SUV is tough to beat. There is some comfort loss in exchange for space, especially in the rear seat. The cushions are rather flat and don't provide much support so make sure those that will inhabit the space take a test ride. Road and wind noise isn't in the luxury class but it is livable especially when you consider the relatively light weight of the vehicle vs. the size.

I love my Rav
By Deborah on 08/13/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

If you didn't know this was a four cylinder vehicle, you wouldn't know by its performance. It has far more useful extras, even in the base model I have, than any of the competitors. It also has more storage, hidden, accessible and functional storage - all three. The tailgate is easy to open and the drive is smooth for an SUV except at extremely low speeds (under 20 mph) and even then not bad. I love this car and am glad I chose it. Fuel economy seems to be greater so far than specified on the government websites. Seats are extremely easy to fold up and they fold up flat and low - better than any other model I looked at, and I looked at a lot of them. This is important as I have dogs.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota RAV4 Suv in VA is:

$96 per month*