Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Not sure what all the hype is about
By villagefish

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The RAV drives more like a dune buggy than a 21st century vehicle and leaves an unrefined impression not generally associated with a Toyota (I have owned two other Toyota vehicles). The 4 cylinder engine is very loud and road noise is pronounced. I can hear suspension, wind, and tire noise at even the lowest speeds on newly paved surfaces. The ride is stiff and the steering feels artificially weighted. Throttle response is jerky, especially at low speeds. The lack of a rear bumper is a safety concern and the side hinged tail gate is inconvenient. I think this vehicle is cheaply made and not worth the high used vehicle price it commands. Suggest looking elsewhere.

The front and rear seats are roomy. Cargo space is generous. Braking performance is good.

More insulation from road, wind engine and tire noise. A rear bumper and top hinged rear tailgate. Better quality interior trim, steel rims that won't rust after 5 years. Reprogram the throttle response for smoother power delivery.

Love my 2nd RAV4 even more
By jduffy09

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1999 RAV4 that was bulletproof. I recently upgraded to a 2009 Sport V6 w/appearance package. The power of this V6 is amazing and yet fuel economy is not compromised. On a recent 500 mile round-trip I got almost 28 mpg. The 2009 is much more refined and significantly roomier than my old 1999 model. Rear-seat room is significantly improved, as is cargo room, and it is great for families with children and pets. The only disappointment for me is the ride. You feel every little bump, but I think that is specific to the sport model. And hey, it's an SUV after all, not a Cadillac.

The V6 really rocks!

I wish they could find a way to include a spare tire with the appearance package. Even if it was just a temp. (Our van has the spare mounted underneath.)

A very functional SUV!
By rdiddy801

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my RAV-4 for about four months now, and I'm quite happy with it. The ride is smooth and the suspension seems solid. I took it off road recently and it handled the terrain okay. I'm getting 25 MPG with a fairly even mix of city/highway driving. The interior is very functional--the back seats slide forward and back, and they split so you have more cargo options. I like the MP3 jack in the center armrest, and there's a little niche there that's perfect for an iPhone. My only complaints: the back window doesn't open (which would allow you to carry long lumber that could hang out the back, for example), and the rear hatch opens towards the curb.

MP3 jack in the arm rest, functional and easy-to-use center console, splitting and sliding rear seats, reliability, hidden cargo bins under the rear cargo cover, and decent MPG for a 4WD SUV.

Open the rear hatch so you can access it from the curb and make the back hatch window operable. Sometimes it would be nice if the gas tank were bigger, but I looked up the CR-V and the RAV's is bigger than it.

Perfect for a small family
By sh4n

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

- This is an amazing car for a family with young children. - Also a comfortable drive for someone over 6ft (I am 6'2"). - Great on gas, the v4 is peppy, but lacks power when a/c is being used - Interior perfect for kids as it was easy to clean up spills and other messes - Cargo room was very more than ample. Always came in handy for carrying small furniture, large mirrors, tvs etc. - Not a single problem over 4 years of use

- The height of this vehicle is perfect for getting in and out for tall drivers and not too tall for average people. - Very good on gas. I drive faster than the flow of traffic and I averaged 10.8L/100km combined.

Love this SUV
By pingel

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the 2009 base model about a month ago and love this vehicle. I traded in my 2006 Kia Sorento EX 4WD vehile that had only 71k on it but was a gas hog and very bad in the snow & slick roads. So far I am averaging 24-25MPG and love the ride. It looks good and feels good. We are going to take a 5 hour trip in a few weeks so we'll see how comfy it is on long trip. It is a little slow on the take off but if that is it's only draw back it's fine.

I love the way the back seats can be folded down with the pull of the handles from the far back end. Love the AUX availablilty so I can listen to all myold favorites.

The cup holders have a lot to be desired. too far to reach for them and no rubber to hold cups in tightly. Also need to move the hazard button closer. Heated outside mirrors on all models.