Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

My Gold Buggy
By mary ofield

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I LOVE my faithful RAV4; sturdy, reliable, zippy, easy to park!!

Rushbaby
By Rushbaby

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First, I have been driving toyotas before I was aloud to drive...35 years. I have owned used and new. I had a 2005 rav4 ...great car. Everything about that car...5 stars. I bought a 2009 limited V6 3.5 and it is a nightmare. The suspension recall fix involves an epoxy seal on the links which make the adjustable links...unadjustable. meaning...if the rear is out of alignment. ..you have to pay $500+ to have the recall fix done again. I have never had to do anything other than maintenance to my toyotas. This one...3rd pair of shocks...this time i used monroe shocks. ER brake cable...drive train assembly ($1400 part). Blower motor...Such a disappointment... I have 150000 miles on the odometer and it runs great. Done with it.

Love the RAV4
By primal_v

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2009 RAV4 4 2.5 litre 4 cylinder, base model, for my wife. Let me tell you this...if I were to get in it blind-folded, not knowing which vehicle I was in, I would have never guessed that it was a RAV4. The ride comfort is amazing! The independent suspension decreases body roll over uneven pavement. Road noise for a vehicle of this size is more than acceptable. Braking is smooth & quiet. It absorbs bumps in the road like they were nothing. Wind noise is average but better than most. Acceleration is excellent. I barely have to apply pressure to the throttle to get it to move. Without even having to stomp down on the pedal & the 4 cylinder turns into a monster & easily pulls away

Engine is quite. 4 cylinder engine has good acceleration. Quite ride. Excellent handling. Smooth transmission. Comfortable seats. Rear seats recline & slide forward & backward. Light output is good. Low road noise. Handles well for an SUV.

I really don't have many complaints with this vehicle. I kind of wish that it had factory tinted windows & fog lamps but that's ok. Clear glass makes visibility better. Also the light for the rear door is actually on the door...so as you open it wide, it doesn't really illuminate the rear cargo area that well.

Great SUV
By Chuck from NY

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this used with 12K miles on it & couldn't be happier. Perfect size for our needs.

Love the fuel mileage, getting 28 in commuter driving and 32 on highway at 70 MPH. Interior is roomy & very comfortable. Very surprised at the low noise level inside. Traded a 08 Nissan Altima & the RAV 4 is not much louder. Supurb looks & handling. DRLs, airbags, traction & stability control.

Better antenna, FM seems to fade easily. Make heated mirrors standard as well as availability of Moon Roof on base model. Otherwise this SUV is just perfect.

Buy Cheap, Buy Often
By JHol

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The old saying goes, "Buy cheap, buy often." I purchased this car less than a month ago with Toyota in mind of having a reputation for reliability that is second to none in the industry. That was the main reason for looking at Toyota, even with the whole recall mess. I verified my model 2009 with vin starting with "J" was not part of the recent recall. We took the car on a road trip and got amazing gas mileage. I have the 4-cyl model and it was perfect. Plenty of room and even more incredible is the seats in back are adjustable and will slide back to maximize leg room. Great idea Toyota! Love the car!

The back seats slide back to maximize leg room. Lots of storage compartments. Gas mileage is great for a vehicle this size! Not a dog either, good acceleration. Little mood lighting at night in center console area.

I agree with most, the carpet is rather poor on this vehicle and hard to clean. You really need a strong vac to clean it.