2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Not sure what all the hype is about
By villagefish on 01/01/15 07:44 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The RAV drives more like a dune buggy than a 21st century vehicle and leaves an unrefined impression not generally associated with a Toyota (I have owned two other Toyota vehicles). The 4 cylinder engine is very loud and road noise is pronounced. I can hear suspension, wind, and tire noise at even the lowest speeds on newly paved surfaces. The ride is stiff and the steering feels artificially weighted. Throttle response is jerky, especially at low speeds. The lack of a rear bumper is a safety concern and the side hinged tail gate is inconvenient. I think this vehicle is cheaply made and not worth the high used vehicle price it commands. Suggest looking elsewhere.

Love my 2nd RAV4 even more
By jduffy09 on 06/18/13 08:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1999 RAV4 that was bulletproof. I recently upgraded to a 2009 Sport V6 w/appearance package. The power of this V6 is amazing and yet fuel economy is not compromised. On a recent 500 mile round-trip I got almost 28 mpg. The 2009 is much more refined and significantly roomier than my old 1999 model. Rear-seat room is significantly improved, as is cargo room, and it is great for families with children and pets. The only disappointment for me is the ride. You feel every little bump, but I think that is specific to the sport model. And hey, it's an SUV after all, not a Cadillac.

A very functional SUV!
By rdiddy801 on 12/10/12 19:20 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my RAV-4 for about four months now, and I'm quite happy with it. The ride is smooth and the suspension seems solid. I took it off road recently and it handled the terrain okay. I'm getting 25 MPG with a fairly even mix of city/highway driving. The interior is very functional--the back seats slide forward and back, and they split so you have more cargo options. I like the MP3 jack in the center armrest, and there's a little niche there that's perfect for an iPhone. My only complaints: the back window doesn't open (which would allow you to carry long lumber that could hang out the back, for example), and the rear hatch opens towards the curb.

Perfect for a small family
By sh4n on 09/25/12 19:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

- This is an amazing car for a family with young children. - Also a comfortable drive for someone over 6ft (I am 6'2"). - Great on gas, the v4 is peppy, but lacks power when a/c is being used - Interior perfect for kids as it was easy to clean up spills and other messes - Cargo room was very more than ample. Always came in handy for carrying small furniture, large mirrors, tvs etc. - Not a single problem over 4 years of use

Love this SUV
By pingel on 05/24/12 11:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the 2009 base model about a month ago and love this vehicle. I traded in my 2006 Kia Sorento EX 4WD vehile that had only 71k on it but was a gas hog and very bad in the snow & slick roads. So far I am averaging 24-25MPG and love the ride. It looks good and feels good. We are going to take a 5 hour trip in a few weeks so we'll see how comfy it is on long trip. It is a little slow on the take off but if that is it's only draw back it's fine.

Love the RAV4
By primal_v on 01/30/12 18:59 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2009 RAV4 4 2.5 litre 4 cylinder, base model, for my wife. Let me tell you this...if I were to get in it blind-folded, not knowing which vehicle I was in, I would have never guessed that it was a RAV4. The ride comfort is amazing! The independent suspension decreases body roll over uneven pavement. Road noise for a vehicle of this size is more than acceptable. Braking is smooth & quiet. It absorbs bumps in the road like they were nothing. Wind noise is average but better than most. Acceleration is excellent. I barely have to apply pressure to the throttle to get it to move. Without even having to stomp down on the pedal & the 4 cylinder turns into a monster & easily pulls away

Not worth the price/poor value/poor workmanship
By stew16 on 07/28/11 09:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

questionable gas mileage at best, 4cyl is noisy, paint is the worst I have ever had on a vehicle, chipps to easily, toyota should put a full case of touch-paint in every vehicle. Has a tendency to accelerate, and the start stop button does not work as it is designed to do, alot of times the vehicle will not start when button is pressed. Toyota techs are even sure how to fix this problem nor can they explain how this is occuring with more frequency.

Honeymoon was over after 19500 miles
By la_rav4 on 04/29/11 17:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got mine Dec. 2008 after long research and traveling for a deal. Got one (2Grands under invoice $). Car's great to go uphills and snow, MPG(25+ hwy after 1year) and fun to drive, big cargo space. Many features like luxury equals. As someone said, Road noise is terrible AND rolling on the road, just as a boat on the sea. Dash design and cup holder location're stupid. i.e, you have to move the cup to push Emergency button or 4wheel lock button, audio power, & engine start button are all together with similar look so you have to be careful to push one of them, etc. Battery died w/o any reason. Been at the dealer 3 times this month. I lost one roof rail w/o using it(hwy? dealer?)

This RAV is the Mac Daddy
By glowwing on 03/01/11 21:03 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm 52 and this is by far the nicest car i have ever owned. i would never have guessed any car would beat my 4runner but i was wrong. The loaded 4 runner is great but all things considered the RAV takes the gold star!

Excellent reliability, some cost cutting evident
By mattwc1 on 01/08/11 20:24 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2009 Base 2.5L/AWD Rav4. First and foremost, I really like the Rav4. I have had it for about 10 months now and average between 25-28mpg (mostly highway driven). Interior is laid out well with great room for drivers and passengers. Rear passenger seats move fore and aft and recline. Sightlines are very good and all instruments are well laid out. Toyota revised the base engine for more horsepower/torque and smoother running and it is apparent. The engine is smooth and revs freely. Fuel economy is very good for a CUV. behind the rear seats provide ample storage with under floor storage bins and handy remore release levers to lower rear seats from the hatch.