RAV4 at 2,000 miles
By Kevin on
2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I traded in my 1999 Sienna since the kids are older and don't need the van with mediocre mileage and performance. I test drove the RAV4 with a 4 cylinder and was unimpressed, very noisy during acceleration and not much power. Then I tried the 6 cylinder and it is awesomely powerful off the line. I have put on 2,000 miles in about 6 weeks and I have gotten 23-24 mpg. I'm sure I would do better if I could keep it under 75. So far, the RAV4 has been fun to drive and performs more like a car then other SUVs I have driven. Took the kids skiing in the Catskills and it took the mountains effortlessly. Can't wait to try the 4X4 in the snow.
Favorite Features
Excellent acceleration off the line and the mpg of a 4 cylinder SUV. Merges effortlessly onto the highway. Traction and stability control are reassuring as are the 6 airbags.
Suggested Improvements
The door handles protrude and get in the way of the window actuators. The center console cupholders are too low and too far forward. Looks like a beverage slosh would wash right into the downhill assist button. Needs an elbow extendor/rest off the center console box.