Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Excellent
By Carlos

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nothing to complain.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, aux in, steering controls, audio system with subwoofer.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission could be smoother. Sometimes it is rough between gears specially when you slow down and hit the gas again it feels like a jump.

Love it
By dalmar

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a Honda crv first and in our opinion the 2008 Honda CRV can not compare with the Toyota. It has a great comfortable interior and has extras the Honda does not. Roof rack, hands free dialing and a unbelievable comfortable seat. Leg room is excellent and even the back seat has lots of leg room.

Favorite Features

Comfort, leather heated seats, nice looking.

Suggested Improvements

I do think the mileage could be improved.

Oh what a feeling?
By Brad

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the RAV specifically for gas mileage when the price per gallon was near $5. It has delivered high 20's on the road and around 20mpg in town. Ho-hum. The engine pulls like a freight train and easily tows up to the 3500# limit. Unfortunately, the engineers didn't sort out the torque steer problems under heavy acceleration, it can be very darty. Also, notice the acceleration rate keeps coming on even after I stop pushing on the gas any harder (like a turbo). We bought the Sport to get the darker interior, but the ride quality is too harsh for commuter style driving. And, worst for last, the AT has an irritating whine at 25-35 mph that is louder after warmed up.

Favorite Features

High resale value. Reliability. Only SUV this size and price that was seriously set up to tow 3500# without heroics. It's a Camry on steroids.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission whine (fluid viscosity?), include auto-off headlights on all models (mine is loaded but missing that? sheesh), redesign tailgate to swing AWAY from curb, make a driver's seat for a full-size American rear, improve the warranty.

So far, so good!
By Openroad

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have put about 5000 miles on a lease/return since purchased 10/08 including about 1500 miles in extremely nasty snow/wind/icing conditions across the northwestern US. Handles snow packed "driveways" with 12-15% grades. We have room for my yellow lab in his kennel, 3 suitcases and a box of apples behind the split rear seat. Road noise is less than our Subaru OB. We have averaged 25+ MPG since purchase with individual tanks running between 24 MPG and 29 mpg highway. V6 cruises easily at 70 MPH with power to spare while passing. Driver visibility is great.

Favorite Features

Pleased with the fuel economy. The arrangement of space in rear seats and behind the rear seats is great. 5- speed AT allows you to select the appropriate gear when climbing or descending steep grades. I like the space saved with the externally mounted spare tire.

Suggested Improvements

I don't care for the external appearance. The lines/shape should be changed to something a little more... sleek(?) The 4-wheel lock feature automatically reverts to all-wheel mode. I would like to be able to lock it in and have it stay there for tough road conditions.

LOVE IT!!!
By yanksgrl2446

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new from the dealership last year (jan. 07), and I was looking for a slight upgrade from a small sedan, and for a car with better reliability in the snow, considering I live in the Northeast. Last year didn't really snow but this year we've gotten a few big storms one with snow falling 3-4" per hour and I had absolutely no problems! the anti skid is fantastic and the 4WD kicks on automatically so I didn't have to do anything but drive! I've driven the car down to Florida and to DC and had no problems got good gas mileage (26 MPG), I love the car and would recommend it to anyone looking for a small SUV. Its very spacious and comfortable... and it drives just like a car!

Favorite Features

anti-skid, auto 4WD, clearance, roomy interior, spar tire on back, dual climate control, iPod hook up

Suggested Improvements

control iPod from radio dash