Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Heater awful but nice car otherwise
By dczim

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you want to stay warm in winter while riding in the second or third row seat, I suggest buying another vehicle. Other than that, the RAV 4 is a great little car -- especially with the V6. I've had the dealership tear the vehicle down looking for the reason why there is no heat coming from the ducts in the second and third row seats. Their final verdict -- verified by Toyota's engineers -- the system is functioning as designed. Since I live in Wisconsin, going with a marginal heater is not an option. Toyota's suggestion -- trade it in for something that has heat but I take the loss on the vehicle -- about a $3-4K hit. Pretty rotten on Toyota's part but they know I have no choice.

V6 engine (very nice), just about everything else is good except the heater.

Fix the heater! Even in the two row version the heater is still weak! For future buyers, Toyota says they have no plans to change the heater. They only plan to eliminate the third row seat option. Also, I suggest having all the various buttons on the steering wheel, etc., illuminate in the dark.

Good family hauler
By tireguy

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

No surprises with the RAV4. I dove into this purchase with extensive research, and optioned it precisely to suit my family's needs (well, mostly my needs): Limited, V6, 4wd, leather, JBL, 3rd row, tow package. On paper, it's exactly what a family of 5 needs to motor about the local area (with three kids in car seats) in a bit of style. What this vehicle lacks (unbeknownst to the spec-sheet analyst) is any serious personality. It's fast, but handles like a van. It's a suitable light-medium duty tow vehicle; I frequently tow a 2,000 lb enclosed trailer and barely know it's there. The interior is laid out fine. Exteriorwise, the front is nice, but the back bumper is just plain ugly.

Powerful V6, almost too powerful for the suspension. Leather seats are firm, but comfortable. 3rd row seats flip up individually, so you can still transport a large, long item with three kids still seated by flipping down only one side of the middle and 3rd row. Note the 3rd row is only for kids.

Redo the ugly rear bumper. Include the dealer option bumper protector film as standard (so you don't scratch it). Figure out a better system for the mid-center seat belt. Stiffen the suspension on V6 models. Add a rub strip along the side; the naked doors are just begging for parking lot dings.

Need improvements
By mart

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought 2008 rav v6 limited 4wd in august 2008. Vibrations at 80 km/hrs. 4x4 assembly was changed but did not solve problem. Finally replace the drive shaft. Now it's fun to drive. Noise isolation is bad particularly in the back. Seats are not comfortable. Very hard. Other then that it's a great car and VERY performant.

performance of V6 engine, fuel economy

road noise, seats

Best smaller SUV ever owned!!!
By Nick

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I love this SUV... she calls it a rocket! With the 269 HP, it gets you going no matter what speed you are at. I tried the 4WD/AWD system and VSC this past snow storm and it didn't even flinch in 15" of snow, if you started going sideways, purposely or not, the VSC had you straight in 1 second. The interior is comfortable, roomy, and full of great extras. The sound system rocks with the JBL subwoofer. I tow a jet ski down on the beach with it and you can't even feel the ski back there. It could get a little better fuel mileage, but hey we are heavy on the pedal. 9500 miles into it and not one problem at all! Great SUV, highly recommend. Wish you could get 3rd row with leather.

269 HP!!!! JBL subwoofer, 4WD, VSC

The back bumper being painted gets scratched easily if someone taps your bumper or you drag something out of cargo area.

Great with a few reservations
By dennism

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my RAV4 for about 4 months and I like it a lot. The 4 cyl engine is amazing and the braking is the best I've ever had in a car. There are a lot of little extras which are nice. I have only two real complaints. The seat, while having a good lumbar support are quite uncomfortable. If you test drive be aware. The mileage is somewhat under the estimated mileage. My mixed city-highway is running between 18-21 mpg. Last, they should have had some heavy duty cover on the back bumper. It can easily get roughed up as you put things in the rear. They offer a little plastic cover, but it does not cover the critical area. This may have been fixed in the 2009 model. Great car-bad seats

engine is great. cargo area is quite spacious. 6 disc CD and audio system is nice.

new seats and protected back bumper