2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Happy owner
By Frank on 10/29/08 00:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It was 10 years since I bought a new car and I chose the Rav4 over the CRV after careful consideration and driving the V6 version. I needed a new car for a newly emerging family so I needed something more useful than a 2 seater truck and Miata. I required fuel efficiency and a healthy reliability rating so Toyota and Honda were top of the list. I chose to get an SUV over a car because of the utility factor (I also have 2 big dogs). I can't comment on reliability yet but I am in love with this vehicle.

Best ever
By jueregn on 10/26/08 16:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is by far better than the Honda crv I had before. Gas mileage even with a 6 cyl is by far better than the Honda. Interior in the Honda was a little better. The main point against the Honda for me it has not the same power and the gas mileage is not as good. The seating and all the little bells and whistles are great. Handling and driving comfort are exceptional. Off road driving, attributed to great ground clearance and power, is great !

Excellent Automobile
By Lynn Hollenbach on 10/26/08 14:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Previously purchased an '07 Subaru Outback and disappointed with the interior space, although a great driving machine. Have had the Rav4 for 3 weeks and my wife and I absolutely love this car. Excellent driving position and front seat comfort and visibility while the 4 cylinder engine provides more than adequate power. If we lived up north I would recommend the all wheel drive, but in Maryland and/or further south the FWD is excellent since EST and traction control are standard. The 6 cylinder only truly necessary if one lives in a hilly area. Averaging 25 MPG. Our favorite car in 40 years of driving.

Leg cramps from uncomfortable seats
By Steve on 10/24/08 12:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really can't wait to get rid of this car. It's nothing like my old 4runner. Driver's seating position is so uncomfortable I have constant leg cramps. I tried spacers under seat legs, extra spring on gas pedal, lumbar pillow, seat cushion, none worked. I have to drive for now but this is the last toyota for me. That is saying a lot from a guy that had 4 so far but this one is not my favorite. Really don't like silly side-swinging rear door. Dash rattles. It struggles to get the rated MPGs. Transfer case whines a bit a certain speeds. I am just plain unsatisfied.

Great concept but weak execution.
By PGS031 on 10/21/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Failed on some basics: seats: too short, feels like stadium bench; angle of headrest horrible. Dash controls: paid designer too much; should hire an ergonomics engineer. Dash lighting and visibility - poorly lit & can't see some displays when wearing polarized sunglasses. Center and door arm rests too low. Throttle: peppy after lag, way too touchy, use more of the travel. 4x4 lock: this is an SUV, I want to control when it is 4x4 not have it automatically switch out at 25 mph. Rear bumper: add textures top for "stepping surface". "Premium" radio: whine w/ MP3; sound quality not very impressive. Window lock: driver can't open windows when lock is engaged. Strange clunk in back end.

Reconsidering It
By Ray on 10/21/08 15:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My first complaint is the interior. Really cheap looking. Other comparable models like the CR-V have much nicer interior. Toyota really lacks technology in their interiors. Cargo area lighting is so terrible! Why put the light on the door which is going to be open? Furthermore, door opens to curbside! Why? I'm only 5'7 and I sit with the seat all the way back, and that is already tight for me. if you're tall, definitely don't get a Toyota. They for some reason only have enough room for people my height. Radio antenna is cheap also. Unscrews easily which causes radio static. MPG not as good as advertised.

Not Just For The Younger Set
By KarenB on 10/16/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am an older lady who loves my RAV4. So often you drive down the road and all you can see of the driver in front is an inch of blue hair sticking above the steering wheel. In the RAV4 I can sit up high and have better control of the highway and my surroundings. It's easy to get in and out of and I can do it in style. A big thumbs up for my RAV!!

Best SUV ever!!!
By Shahbaz Sakhi on 10/11/08 21:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought our 1st SUV, and we are loving it! We bought it in white, Sport, 4X4. The RAV4 rides smooths on 18" alloys, and despite having great power, it is still a gas sipper. Our kids are loving it, too. With a high wheel base, and 4X4, I am looking forward to the snow. Love my snow white RAV4!

Mountaineer Replacement
By Cape Cod Dad on 10/09/08 04:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Divorced father, 2 kids (13 & 10), needed a replacement vehicle for a 97 Mountaineer. Looked at Acadia, Enclave, TaurusX, Mazda CX9, CRV & Odyssey. Purchased V6 Sport 4WD 11/07. Vehicle has 24,500 miles on it now. Very pleased with the gas mileage (averages a consistent 27 mpg when driven between 60-65 mph). Very quiet riding vehicle, nothing rattles or squeaks, very tight. JBL sound system is wonderful. Kids love positioning options of backseats I should have purchased more comfortable / flexible leather/ powerseats. On long rides its worth the extra money. My 1st Toyota, won't be my last. Very pleased.

Got one of the last few 08 RAV4 left
By BenLiu on 10/07/08 23:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought one of the few 2008 V6 AWD base model left after comparing Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, and 08 Highlander. Perfect size for my family of 4 with 2 teenagers. Like the efficiency of the electric-on-demand AWD with reasonably good mpg and absolutely fun to drive. However, don't expect the quietness/refinement of a Camry. Road vibration/noise sometimes noticeable at any speed. If you want to take advantage of the last few 08 RAV4 left like I did, make sure you check out the 09 model before making the decision as Toyota made some good improvements which may be important to you.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.