Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Love my RAV!
By c. fougner

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! Safe, fun to drive, great fuel economy and, of course, amazingly reliable like all Toyotas!

Lock in 4wd should stay on up to at least 35mph. It pops out at 25 mph, and even on the worst days 30 mph is a normal speed.

Good and not good points
By DonH

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First of all the bad. Road noise on this car is excessive and the ride is not good. I wasted money by putting the premium sound system in it. Unless it's parked you can't hear it very well. I've had trucks made in the 80's that had a comparable ride. You feel and hear every bump. I see that the 2009 reviews noted similar issues. It's a car that's used by my wife and the interior carpet looks like it's 5 years old. There is no reason for it except for very poor quality. The seats are not very comfortable. The good is that mechanically it's a very good vehicle. That's mainly why we bought it. Just make sure you can live with the other issues. Maybe the Limited version has better sound proofing.

Good mechanically.

Better sound proofing, improve the ride, better quality carpet.

Irritating issues make this a 6.0
By Kevin

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Toyota, after years of Ford ownership. I'll be going back to Ford as their build quality and value for money are better. I like the fuel economy, load capacity and power, but the body styling is awful, the radio is tinny and cheap, the tires didn't last and the traction control is absolutely awful - when all four wheels are spinning (like when you're stuck in snow), the TC cuts power to the engine meaning you can't "bully" your way out of the snow. I need chains to get out of my own driveway! My Ford Escape had no problems at all in the snow. Overall this gets a 6.0 and I'll not look at Toyota again.

Engine power, cargo carrying ability.

The radio is just unbearable. The last time I had a radio this bad it was am AM set built into a 1980 Chevette. When I complained about it the dealers comment was "they used cheap speakers, so there's nothing we can do". The tires only lasted 40k, which is junk for a car this high priced.

Terrible
By k

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2008 4 cyl rav 4 is the worst vehicle I have ever owned out of 15 toyotas. It rides like a tank especially in the rear. Why don't people tell the truth about this vehicle so some poor buyer won't be hurt? Can't wait to get rid of it. I've been with Toyota for 30 years and have been treated very well but the ride of this vehicle makes me sick and I will rethink my next vehicle.

None, it's a garbage vehicle.

Fix the suspension so it won't hit so hard in the rear and it might be an ok vehicle.

Excellent SUV
By SLucy

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. My first small SUV as previously owned Dodge truck and Durangos. Bought new 18 months ago for V6 w/ tow package. I tow a 19' boat (~3,500 towed weight) and all sorts of stuff in my cargo trailer. I have been very impressed with the towing! I don't miss my full size truck (trailer is easier to load) or the gas mileage. I included trailer brakes on the boat trailer and am glad I did as brakes are the only weak point of the RAV4. Roomy, reliable, fun to drive and competent towing makes me very happy.

Zippy V6, Better than expected towing performance, great audio pkg (have added XM), lots of passenger and cargo room.

Brakes are only adequate. There is a little torque steer. Electric power assist steering has soft 'center' feel.