2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Good family hauler
By tireguy on 04/20/09 14:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

No surprises with the RAV4. I dove into this purchase with extensive research, and optioned it precisely to suit my family's needs (well, mostly my needs): Limited, V6, 4wd, leather, JBL, 3rd row, tow package. On paper, it's exactly what a family of 5 needs to motor about the local area (with three kids in car seats) in a bit of style. What this vehicle lacks (unbeknownst to the spec-sheet analyst) is any serious personality. It's fast, but handles like a van. It's a suitable light-medium duty tow vehicle; I frequently tow a 2,000 lb enclosed trailer and barely know it's there. The interior is laid out fine. Exteriorwise, the front is nice, but the back bumper is just plain ugly.

Need improvements
By mart on 04/04/09 08:26 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought 2008 rav v6 limited 4wd in august 2008. Vibrations at 80 km/hrs. 4x4 assembly was changed but did not solve problem. Finally replace the drive shaft. Now it's fun to drive. Noise isolation is bad particularly in the back. Seats are not comfortable. Very hard. Other then that it's a great car and VERY performant.

Best smaller SUV ever owned!!!
By Nick on 03/08/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I love this SUV... she calls it a rocket! With the 269 HP, it gets you going no matter what speed you are at. I tried the 4WD/AWD system and VSC this past snow storm and it didn't even flinch in 15" of snow, if you started going sideways, purposely or not, the VSC had you straight in 1 second. The interior is comfortable, roomy, and full of great extras. The sound system rocks with the JBL subwoofer. I tow a jet ski down on the beach with it and you can't even feel the ski back there. It could get a little better fuel mileage, but hey we are heavy on the pedal. 9500 miles into it and not one problem at all! Great SUV, highly recommend. Wish you could get 3rd row with leather.

Great with a few reservations
By dennism on 03/01/09 20:18 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my RAV4 for about 4 months and I like it a lot. The 4 cyl engine is amazing and the braking is the best I've ever had in a car. There are a lot of little extras which are nice. I have only two real complaints. The seat, while having a good lumbar support are quite uncomfortable. If you test drive be aware. The mileage is somewhat under the estimated mileage. My mixed city-highway is running between 18-21 mpg. Last, they should have had some heavy duty cover on the back bumper. It can easily get roughed up as you put things in the rear. They offer a little plastic cover, but it does not cover the critical area. This may have been fixed in the 2009 model. Great car-bad seats

Excellent
By Carlos on 02/12/09 16:30 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nothing to complain.

Love it
By dalmar on 02/03/09 21:24 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a Honda crv first and in our opinion the 2008 Honda CRV can not compare with the Toyota. It has a great comfortable interior and has extras the Honda does not. Roof rack, hands free dialing and a unbelievable comfortable seat. Leg room is excellent and even the back seat has lots of leg room.

Oh what a feeling?
By Brad on 01/14/09 19:32 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the RAV specifically for gas mileage when the price per gallon was near $5. It has delivered high 20's on the road and around 20mpg in town. Ho-hum. The engine pulls like a freight train and easily tows up to the 3500# limit. Unfortunately, the engineers didn't sort out the torque steer problems under heavy acceleration, it can be very darty. Also, notice the acceleration rate keeps coming on even after I stop pushing on the gas any harder (like a turbo). We bought the Sport to get the darker interior, but the ride quality is too harsh for commuter style driving. And, worst for last, the AT has an irritating whine at 25-35 mph that is louder after warmed up.

So far, so good!
By Openroad on 01/02/09 13:19 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have put about 5000 miles on a lease/return since purchased 10/08 including about 1500 miles in extremely nasty snow/wind/icing conditions across the northwestern US. Handles snow packed "driveways" with 12-15% grades. We have room for my yellow lab in his kennel, 3 suitcases and a box of apples behind the split rear seat. Road noise is less than our Subaru OB. We have averaged 25+ MPG since purchase with individual tanks running between 24 MPG and 29 mpg highway. V6 cruises easily at 70 MPH with power to spare while passing. Driver visibility is great.

LOVE IT!!!
By yanksgrl2446 on 12/30/08 09:42 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new from the dealership last year (jan. 07), and I was looking for a slight upgrade from a small sedan, and for a car with better reliability in the snow, considering I live in the Northeast. Last year didn't really snow but this year we've gotten a few big storms one with snow falling 3-4" per hour and I had absolutely no problems! the anti skid is fantastic and the 4WD kicks on automatically so I didn't have to do anything but drive! I've driven the car down to Florida and to DC and had no problems got good gas mileage (26 MPG), I love the car and would recommend it to anyone looking for a small SUV. Its very spacious and comfortable... and it drives just like a car!

One year old
By Fred on 12/27/08 07:10 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased an '07 RAV4, February, 2008, used, from a Toyota dealer, replacing a '01 Ford Taurus. Bought a 4 cyl, fwd. Use for daily commuter and weekend chores. Occasional trips. Just recently, averaged 27.5 mph at a steady 75 mph on a 500 mile round-trip. Around town, am getting 22 to 24 mph. As a daily driver, the car is excellent. Perfect for weekend chores. The swing rear door does cause some problems while carrying lumber, however, I knew that when I purchased the vehicle. Otherwise, car is perfect for intended use. Am very pleased with performance, handling, and overall build.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota RAV4 in NJ is:

$181 per month*