Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Good Vehicle but Overpriced
By Ken Hartley

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

OEM tires worn out at 37,000 miles. More noise than I would like on concrete highways. Wind buffets when windows are down to the point they have to be rolled up. Rear seats not very comfortable.

Power and reliability.

Better Tires, more sound proofing, ability to remove roof racks, replace oil filter canister with screw on type oil filter, put dual exhausts on RAV, add padding to rear seats. make a (real 4 wheel version) and real all wheel drive version.

I would prefer to buy
By Suren

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like this SUV, more comfortable and fun to drive. I have Sport V6 with 3.5 L, excellent pickup.

Happy Camper
By Wm Leider

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Rav4 Jan 2010 and traded my 2006 Matrix. Wife and I wanted something a little bigger and easier to get in and out of. I'm very pleased with both Toyota's and will buy another when I tire of this one.

Size, economy, looks.

None

Not so reliable as they say
By Jacko

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I don't know what the fuss is all about. It's nice for the first few months, then you start seeing all the negative aspects of the car. Yes, it looks nice, it has lots of room, but there are issues. Overall, very overrated car. In reality, as an owner - I'd say it's terrible.

Looks good. During winter it's pretty grippy on snow.

Windshield cracks every winter, brake problems, seats uncomfortable for long trips, too noisy, feels cheap, Gas mileage is average, the interior is not thought out. Who places cup holders right where you have power plug? You can't charge your phone and have a cup there. Lots of dumb things like that

At first impressed and then not so much
By spidermum

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a 7 year Toyota owner and didn't think twice when it was time to buy a another car. My 2003 Corolla took me to 150,000 miles with no problems (besides standard maintenance). I bought my CERTIFIED 2008 RAV4 in November of 2009 and have had to replace the breaks, tires, and battery since then. At first, I loved the snappiness (torque) of my V6 Rav4. After replacing the breaks and the tires (after 6 months of ownership) I was a little discouraged. Then, my battery went out and what I didn't know is that the power steering is powered by the battery. I lost complete power steering in the middle of a major intersection and am thankful to be alive.

Torque of the V6 is great! Very spacious.

Warn folks about the battery. I had no sign that my car was about to break down in the middle of taking a left onto a major highway. I lost all power steering and my car's electronics were flipping out. I plan to trade this RAV4 in for a more reliable Toyota or Honda.