2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Irritating issues make this a 6.0
By Kevin on 11/08/09 17:16 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Toyota, after years of Ford ownership. I'll be going back to Ford as their build quality and value for money are better. I like the fuel economy, load capacity and power, but the body styling is awful, the radio is tinny and cheap, the tires didn't last and the traction control is absolutely awful - when all four wheels are spinning (like when you're stuck in snow), the TC cuts power to the engine meaning you can't "bully" your way out of the snow. I need chains to get out of my own driveway! My Ford Escape had no problems at all in the snow. Overall this gets a 6.0 and I'll not look at Toyota again.

Terrible
By k on 10/28/09 20:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2008 4 cyl rav 4 is the worst vehicle I have ever owned out of 15 toyotas. It rides like a tank especially in the rear. Why don't people tell the truth about this vehicle so some poor buyer won't be hurt? Can't wait to get rid of it. I've been with Toyota for 30 years and have been treated very well but the ride of this vehicle makes me sick and I will rethink my next vehicle.

Excellent SUV
By SLucy on 09/30/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. My first small SUV as previously owned Dodge truck and Durangos. Bought new 18 months ago for V6 w/ tow package. I tow a 19' boat (~3,500 towed weight) and all sorts of stuff in my cargo trailer. I have been very impressed with the towing! I don't miss my full size truck (trailer is easier to load) or the gas mileage. I included trailer brakes on the boat trailer and am glad I did as brakes are the only weak point of the RAV4. Roomy, reliable, fun to drive and competent towing makes me very happy.

Love this car
By lo on 07/12/09 23:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have always wanted one and when I got rid of my echo I decided to go ahead and buy a rav4. I am 5'6 and I love it. The inside is roomy the radio does sound like its wheezing when the ipod is hooked up but oh well. I love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything. The lights in the trunk don't bother me and my seats do fold completely flat.

Very Impressed
By Camille on 06/23/09 07:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Rav 4. After a brutal northeast winter I had to get a reliable, sturdy car and fell in love with the Rav 4 on first site. It's a lot of fun to drive and with all the bells and whistles, I can't wait for winter. Even without the V-6 component, the 2.4 liter engine still moves like a rocket. Loving the Ipod Jack and the bluetooth features from the steering wheel- awesome!

Freeway Access Is No Longer Suicidal!
By Stellarink on 06/19/09 13:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Throughout 25,000 miles in 1 year, 24 mpg w/V6 in a metro city is great while my 4-cyl '06 PT Cruiser gets less than 18. The V6 and a comparable large rear window is the reason Toyota got my green. The turning radius surpasses my smaller Cruiser's. As you can tell, my practical focus is on safety, function, and economy. My wife's preference is style and speed. With the Rav, we get both. Researching options and reports, Toyota seems to exceed American auto-makers for trouble-free longevity. My wife (5'3") and I (6'2") both ride in stable comfort whether driving or riding. Leg and cargo room are ample and head room abounds in front & rear seats. Acceleration? Pray and fly with angelic speed.

Great little SUV for the price
By longlegsguy on 06/16/09 16:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Lots of pluses for this "little" Toyota (our first new car was a '71 Corolla, now THAT was little!). Traded in a 96 4Runner with the same engine, and we're blown away by the performance difference. 4Runner wasn't a slouch, but the RAV4 is a hottie. Even driving it hard on trips, we're getting 26.5-28.5 mpg on the road, which is dang good; best we ever got with the old truck was 18.5. My wife likes the way the hood slopes down; says she can see more of the road up front. I'm 6'5" and although it isn't what I'd call roomy, the RAV4 is adequately sized; we took a 9-hour road trip with 5 in the car (2 seater) and all came back still speaking. A miracle! Never feels like a truck will blow us away.

Loving my Rav 4
By Eve on 05/14/09 05:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 1 year old, I still love my Rav 4. The Barcelona red color is gorgeous. I would buy it again. My parents want one in 4WD for the mountains. Test drove the Mitsubishi Outlander but the Rav 4 blew it away in performance and quality. I ordered the bumper guard to protect the very deep rear bumper and the vinyl cargo tray.

Could be better
By jerry on 05/04/09 14:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this SUV. I had a jeep and traded for this for fuel economy. I averaged over 26 mph on a 1000 mile trip. I don't like the excess engine noise when cold. Seats are hard but for a smaller person comfortable. Performance is better than Pontiac gt with 3.8. Some wind noise but have a Lexus also and it's quiet. Great steering response in the mountains where I live. Corners not a problem. I got a lifetime drivetrain warranty from the dealer for free as long as he does the service.

Heater awful but nice car otherwise
By dczim on 04/25/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you want to stay warm in winter while riding in the second or third row seat, I suggest buying another vehicle. Other than that, the RAV 4 is a great little car -- especially with the V6. I've had the dealership tear the vehicle down looking for the reason why there is no heat coming from the ducts in the second and third row seats. Their final verdict -- verified by Toyota's engineers -- the system is functioning as designed. Since I live in Wisconsin, going with a marginal heater is not an option. Toyota's suggestion -- trade it in for something that has heat but I take the loss on the vehicle -- about a $3-4K hit. Pretty rotten on Toyota's part but they know I have no choice.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.