2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
I would prefer to buy
By Suren on 08/05/10 15:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like this SUV, more comfortable and fun to drive. I have Sport V6 with 3.5 L, excellent pickup.

Happy Camper
By Wm Leider on 07/19/10 15:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Rav4 Jan 2010 and traded my 2006 Matrix. Wife and I wanted something a little bigger and easier to get in and out of. I'm very pleased with both Toyota's and will buy another when I tire of this one.

Not so reliable as they say
By Jacko on 05/13/10 21:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I don't know what the fuss is all about. It's nice for the first few months, then you start seeing all the negative aspects of the car. Yes, it looks nice, it has lots of room, but there are issues. Overall, very overrated car. In reality, as an owner - I'd say it's terrible.

At first impressed and then not so much
By spidermum on 04/30/10 21:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a 7 year Toyota owner and didn't think twice when it was time to buy a another car. My 2003 Corolla took me to 150,000 miles with no problems (besides standard maintenance). I bought my CERTIFIED 2008 RAV4 in November of 2009 and have had to replace the breaks, tires, and battery since then. At first, I loved the snappiness (torque) of my V6 Rav4. After replacing the breaks and the tires (after 6 months of ownership) I was a little discouraged. Then, my battery went out and what I didn't know is that the power steering is powered by the battery. I lost complete power steering in the middle of a major intersection and am thankful to be alive.

Good Value For The Price
By bgbowers on 04/22/10 08:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for 2.3 years putting approximately 23,000 miles per year on it. I bought the Base model. Wanted to get the Limited but my head would hit the roof line occasionally when going over bumps because of the sun roof intrusion into the cabin. The car has given me no mechanical problems and I've never taken it back to the dealer for any issue. I wanted a vehicle with both all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive capability. However, recognize that this vehicle is not designed for off-road use. No rattles or squeaks have developed. Car handles very well, but OEM tires wear out quickly, lasted 1 year. Actually this is good so you can replace them with ones of good quality.

Decent Vehicle
By RINNC on 02/17/10 10:06 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Drove this car for about 2 yrs. Fabric seats are comfortable on long distances,seat material started pilling shortly after purchased. Dealer replaced but same thing happened. Position of controls well placed. Radio sounds great and subwoofer in rear door does not rattle. Mp3 jack was stupidly placed in the cntr console below the power outlet. Lots of hard plastic but it does not look cheap. Handled well in the snow,only have front-wheel drv. The original tires wore out to fast. Can't see backlit orange temp and radio cntrl with sunglasses on. Back cargo net is cheap. Torque steer when accelerating.

Great Safe Vehicle
By KarenP on 01/05/10 06:20 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would just like to share that the 07'Toyota Rav4 Limited with the third row seat provided excellent Safety for myself and my daughter who was sitting in the back seat behind me. While sitting at a traffic light, we were hit from behind with another vehicle traveling at 50MPH. The Rav4 did what it was designed to do and that was to protect the integrity of the interior while the outside of the vehicle crumpled around us. The vehicle was totaled, but myself and my daughter walked away with only bruising and whiplash. I was so impressed by this, we purchased the same vehicle, 08'Rav4 Limited with the third row seat to replace the totaled one. Would highly recommend for safety!

Reliable but the good ends there
By unhappyRAVdriver on 01/03/10 11:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Four-wheel drive automatically disengages at 26mph and the salesperson did NOT point out that feature. Vehicle is the noisiest and worst riding I have ever had and I've driven SUVs for 20+ years. Front seats are unacceptable; very uncomfortable, short--cuts across the back of the thighs--and they don't adjust back far enough for me, a 5'6" driver. Very unhappy with this vehicle and I won't buy Toyota again.

Love my RAV!
By c. fougner on 12/10/09 07:52 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! Safe, fun to drive, great fuel economy and, of course, amazingly reliable like all Toyotas!

Good and not good points
By DonH on 11/08/09 17:19 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First of all the bad. Road noise on this car is excessive and the ride is not good. I wasted money by putting the premium sound system in it. Unless it's parked you can't hear it very well. I've had trucks made in the 80's that had a comparable ride. You feel and hear every bump. I see that the 2009 reviews noted similar issues. It's a car that's used by my wife and the interior carpet looks like it's 5 years old. There is no reason for it except for very poor quality. The seats are not very comfortable. The good is that mechanically it's a very good vehicle. That's mainly why we bought it. Just make sure you can live with the other issues. Maybe the Limited version has better sound proofing.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.