Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Got one of the last few 08 RAV4 left
By BenLiu

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought one of the few 2008 V6 AWD base model left after comparing Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, and 08 Highlander. Perfect size for my family of 4 with 2 teenagers. Like the efficiency of the electric-on-demand AWD with reasonably good mpg and absolutely fun to drive. However, don't expect the quietness/refinement of a Camry. Road vibration/noise sometimes noticeable at any speed. If you want to take advantage of the last few 08 RAV4 left like I did, make sure you check out the 09 model before making the decision as Toyota made some good improvements which may be important to you.

Powerful V6 engine, solid frame & nice handling. Spacious 2nd row and hidden storage (without the optional 3rd row seat).

Gas tank too small (only 15.9 G), both front and rear center arm rests too low, 2nd row seats area a little too small for adult passenger's comfort. Clock way too small. Old fashion antenna , room bumper cover too small (both were improved on 2009 model), road vibration sometime noticeable.

Read This Please
By Mike S

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Don't know if I would recommend. Virtually all the "crabs" I read pre-purchase were true. Driver's position is tight (I'm 6,2) uncomfortable, yields backaches, plastic edges in door panels cut into the legs, radio whines if iPod/satellite radio is vehicle powered, dashboard info difficult to see in daylight, overhead lights blind driver at night, cup holders are dumb and restricted, rear seat does not fold down completely, front passenger seat does not fold down, the cargo area light is a joke, rear door hinged on wrong side, rear glass does not open, etc. Sport suspension is excellent, brakes are reasonable. Gas mileage is disappointing at 21/24, power is fine with 4 cyl in flat areas like FL.

Reliable.

Fix the uncomfortable front seats (this is the first support cushion I ever had to buy). Redesign "razor" door panels, hinge rear door on opp side, change front overhead lighting, get rear seat to fold down completely, make pass seat fold down, put decent lighting in rear storage, fix the radio buzz.

Love My New Rav 4
By Branden

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There's a lot to like about this vehicle, and a few minor annoyances. The pick up is amazing with the V6 engine (I previously had a 4 cylinder). Lots of room compared to older models. Plenty of legroom for passengers in back, and plenty of cargo space.

Power seats, blue tooth capability for cell phone, hook up for my iPod, and moon roof.

Should have a built-in garage door opener, need a light in the cargo area, make the head rests adjustable front-to-back.

Rattling dashboard
By Karen

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 rav4 4x4 base model in February 2008. It was the best vehicle I ever owned until it hit 850 miles and that's when I could hear a loud constant rattling coming from the dashboard, more specifically the center console. The vehicle was brought back to the dealership 4 times and was never permanently fixed. The master technician, who was great to deal with even replaced my vents in the center dash with a new RAV4 on the sales lot. At times it sounded like a popcorn machine! Finally, a field technical expert from Toy inspected the vehicle and determined that it was A NORMAL OPERATING CHARACTERISTIC! Very disappointed, 1st and last Toyota I'll ever own.

Exterior design, fuel economy, daytime running lights, smooth and comfortable ride

Toyota needs to improve cheaply made interior, more specifically center console! Inside is all plastic, even on the sport and ltd! Also rear door should open rt to left or make it a hatchback. Can't unload easily at curbside!

Ahh, another Toyota!
By JHfrmPV

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We had 3 Toyotas sitting at our house (Highlander Hybrid, 4Runner, and Camry), so it's no shock they were at the top of our list when it was time to get our daughter a car. We absolutely love the car all around and would definitely recommend it to everybody! MPG are excellent as we are getting 26 on average. Looked into the Escape as well and for a couple thousand more, you get better quality, mileage, and of course, legend reliability. Plenty of room for everyone, got it with the third row for convenience. Tight, but still fine. If you are looking at any comps, just go to the Toyota dealer and buy this car. You will never wish to look back! Now, we PROUDLY display 4 Toyotas at our home!

Comfort, space, MPG, quality, all of the standard features, and it seems very durable. I fit fine even though I am 6'3". Just in general, it is such a good car.

After 3 months, pretty much nothing! If anything, third row room, but we never use it much anyway so its not worth complaining about.