Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great concept but weak execution.
By PGS031

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Failed on some basics: seats: too short, feels like stadium bench; angle of headrest horrible. Dash controls: paid designer too much; should hire an ergonomics engineer. Dash lighting and visibility - poorly lit & can't see some displays when wearing polarized sunglasses. Center and door arm rests too low. Throttle: peppy after lag, way too touchy, use more of the travel. 4x4 lock: this is an SUV, I want to control when it is 4x4 not have it automatically switch out at 25 mph. Rear bumper: add textures top for "stepping surface". "Premium" radio: whine w/ MP3; sound quality not very impressive. Window lock: driver can't open windows when lock is engaged. Strange clunk in back end.

Seats: 2nd row forward/back adjustability; 3rd row split seats are great. V6 option. Fuel economy and fuel grade requirement. Responsive handling. OK turning radius. Good visibility all around. Functionality for size.

Length of seating surface. Allow 4x4 to 60 mph. Control ergonomics and functions. Arm rest heights. Sound system quality. Re-program throttle and eliminate lag. Could gain leg room by "thinning" seatbacks. Add front/back adjustability to headrest. Stiffen doors (shake when closed).

Reconsidering It
By Ray

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My first complaint is the interior. Really cheap looking. Other comparable models like the CR-V have much nicer interior. Toyota really lacks technology in their interiors. Cargo area lighting is so terrible! Why put the light on the door which is going to be open? Furthermore, door opens to curbside! Why? I'm only 5'7 and I sit with the seat all the way back, and that is already tight for me. if you're tall, definitely don't get a Toyota. They for some reason only have enough room for people my height. Radio antenna is cheap also. Unscrews easily which causes radio static. MPG not as good as advertised.

Daytime running lights. All wheel drive.

They should make a compartment on driver side for holding quarters! There is no small compartment like on other vehicles. I have no place to stow away loose change. Car seems to make whistling/howling sound when cruising around 20-25 mph.

Not Just For The Younger Set
By KarenB

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am an older lady who loves my RAV4. So often you drive down the road and all you can see of the driver in front is an inch of blue hair sticking above the steering wheel. In the RAV4 I can sit up high and have better control of the highway and my surroundings. It's easy to get in and out of and I can do it in style. A big thumbs up for my RAV!!

Best SUV ever!!!
By Shahbaz Sakhi

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought our 1st SUV, and we are loving it! We bought it in white, Sport, 4X4. The RAV4 rides smooths on 18" alloys, and despite having great power, it is still a gas sipper. Our kids are loving it, too. With a high wheel base, and 4X4, I am looking forward to the snow. Love my snow white RAV4!

Everything!! Moonroof, 18" alloys, interior, exterior, everything!

Better sound system, slightly bigger rear view mirror.

Mountaineer Replacement
By Cape Cod Dad

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Divorced father, 2 kids (13 & 10), needed a replacement vehicle for a 97 Mountaineer. Looked at Acadia, Enclave, TaurusX, Mazda CX9, CRV & Odyssey. Purchased V6 Sport 4WD 11/07. Vehicle has 24,500 miles on it now. Very pleased with the gas mileage (averages a consistent 27 mpg when driven between 60-65 mph). Very quiet riding vehicle, nothing rattles or squeaks, very tight. JBL sound system is wonderful. Kids love positioning options of backseats I should have purchased more comfortable / flexible leather/ powerseats. On long rides its worth the extra money. My 1st Toyota, won't be my last. Very pleased.

JBL sound system, V6, multiposition rear seatbacks, overall fit and finish, quiet ride, strong A/C and heating system

coin box section in upper portion of center console, loud fluttering sound when 2 front windows are opened more than 1/2 way and rear windows are not open, front console coffee cup holder too close to aux power outlet,