Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Reconsidering It
By Ray

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My first complaint is the interior. Really cheap looking. Other comparable models like the CR-V have much nicer interior. Toyota really lacks technology in their interiors. Cargo area lighting is so terrible! Why put the light on the door which is going to be open? Furthermore, door opens to curbside! Why? I'm only 5'7 and I sit with the seat all the way back, and that is already tight for me. if you're tall, definitely don't get a Toyota. They for some reason only have enough room for people my height. Radio antenna is cheap also. Unscrews easily which causes radio static. MPG not as good as advertised.

Favorite Features

Daytime running lights. All wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

They should make a compartment on driver side for holding quarters! There is no small compartment like on other vehicles. I have no place to stow away loose change. Car seems to make whistling/howling sound when cruising around 20-25 mph.

Not Just For The Younger Set
By KarenB

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I am an older lady who loves my RAV4. So often you drive down the road and all you can see of the driver in front is an inch of blue hair sticking above the steering wheel. In the RAV4 I can sit up high and have better control of the highway and my surroundings. It's easy to get in and out of and I can do it in style. A big thumbs up for my RAV!!

Best SUV ever!!!
By Shahbaz Sakhi

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought our 1st SUV, and we are loving it! We bought it in white, Sport, 4X4. The RAV4 rides smooths on 18" alloys, and despite having great power, it is still a gas sipper. Our kids are loving it, too. With a high wheel base, and 4X4, I am looking forward to the snow. Love my snow white RAV4!

Favorite Features

Everything!! Moonroof, 18" alloys, interior, exterior, everything!

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system, slightly bigger rear view mirror.

Mountaineer Replacement
By Cape Cod Dad

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Divorced father, 2 kids (13 & 10), needed a replacement vehicle for a 97 Mountaineer. Looked at Acadia, Enclave, TaurusX, Mazda CX9, CRV & Odyssey. Purchased V6 Sport 4WD 11/07. Vehicle has 24,500 miles on it now. Very pleased with the gas mileage (averages a consistent 27 mpg when driven between 60-65 mph). Very quiet riding vehicle, nothing rattles or squeaks, very tight. JBL sound system is wonderful. Kids love positioning options of backseats I should have purchased more comfortable / flexible leather/ powerseats. On long rides its worth the extra money. My 1st Toyota, won't be my last. Very pleased.

Favorite Features

JBL sound system, V6, multiposition rear seatbacks, overall fit and finish, quiet ride, strong A/C and heating system

Suggested Improvements

coin box section in upper portion of center console, loud fluttering sound when 2 front windows are opened more than 1/2 way and rear windows are not open, front console coffee cup holder too close to aux power outlet,

Got one of the last few 08 RAV4 left
By BenLiu

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought one of the few 2008 V6 AWD base model left after comparing Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, and 08 Highlander. Perfect size for my family of 4 with 2 teenagers. Like the efficiency of the electric-on-demand AWD with reasonably good mpg and absolutely fun to drive. However, don't expect the quietness/refinement of a Camry. Road vibration/noise sometimes noticeable at any speed. If you want to take advantage of the last few 08 RAV4 left like I did, make sure you check out the 09 model before making the decision as Toyota made some good improvements which may be important to you.

Favorite Features

Powerful V6 engine, solid frame & nice handling. Spacious 2nd row and hidden storage (without the optional 3rd row seat).

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank too small (only 15.9 G), both front and rear center arm rests too low, 2nd row seats area a little too small for adult passenger's comfort. Clock way too small. Old fashion antenna , room bumper cover too small (both were improved on 2009 model), road vibration sometime noticeable.