2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
What fun!
By Love it on 03/30/08 08:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love the way this vehicle handles. It is quite nimble and quick. In the V6 model acceleration is better (much better) than I had with a V8 Explorer. Interior room is very satisfactory allowing me to have my large breed dog crate in the back without issue and to also offer room to the other dogs. It is fun to drive!! We did some off road driving yesterday through mud, up hills and over some rough terrain. I have the V6 Ltd model and am very pleased so far. I am small so the seats work well for me as does the rest of the car. The best thing about this SUV is the handling. It is so fast out of the starting blocks it was tough to get used to. Turning radius is on a dime. Stopping on a dime OK.

Upholstery problems
By sewsue on 03/18/08 17:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my base model 2008 RAV4 at the end of October. Love everything about it except the upholstery. At 3 months old and under 5500 miles, the fabric on the seats and on the door panels is starting to pill and fuzz. Toyota tells me this is "normal wear and tear". Thankfully my dealer disagrees. They are trying to find me matching fabric. Glad I no longer have kids and their gear to haul around. The interior would not survive. Wish now that I had chosen the Limited trim level with leather seats.

Love what it does for me
By Bradley Jordan on 03/17/08 10:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought my RAV4 yesterday. I was reluctant to buy it as a RAV4 had been labeled a girls' car but the style and look have changed my mind. My gas mileage is actully better than my 2000 Civic right now. I plan on filling up at a quarter of a tank instead at the true empty. I am quite happy with it. Love the storage bins under the floor. I will propbly drive this car into the ground like my CIvic and Camry. I would definitely recommend it. I got tinted windows and the luggage rack.

2008 Rav4 V6
By Max on 03/13/08 09:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in our sports car for the new RAV4. Our hope was to achieve the gas mileage abilities of our Nissan Maxima (family car) while gaining a more versatile vehicle. We did have one noise issue that was hard to track down since it would only happen at freeway speeds. The source of the noise was the roof rack cross member (it was loose). This caused a noise as it shifted position due to wind speed pushing it backward. The 2nd noise source was a loose radio antenna. We are averaging between 22.5-24 MPG in mixed driving (65%+ city) with the V6. Our RAV has just over 1000 miles on it and I suspect the MPG will be increasing.

Excellent vehicle. Good job Toyota Japan
By sammy b on 03/02/08 21:14 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Rav4 v6 4wd sport last week and I love it. It is built very well, and performs great at acceleration and handling. It gets very good mileage for 269hp v6 w/4wd. Stable at high speeds, comfortable, looks good, fits perfect in my garage, what else is there to say. Test drive one and you'll be hooked like I was.

Great Winter Ride
By Lila Sterling on 02/15/08 22:27 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car about a month and put on over 1,000 miles. I sold my Saab 9-5 wagon when it would not go up the driveway of our new home. The RAV has NO problem going up a very steep incline in ice and snow. It does make the "beep" sound to let me know that it is adjusting for slippage. I test drove it hard to make sure it could handle Catskill Mountain weather and it has proven to be just what it promised. Mine has "down hill assist" which I like because sometimes I have to go to work before the local plow person comes to our driveway and it really does help. Also there is LOTS of storage space. I picked up two big chairs for a friend and they went right in.

Awesome
By ghana on 02/08/08 02:19 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Still breaking this car in, have only driven about 250 miles, but am totally impressed with the entire package. Fast, responsive, comfortable, quiet, good visibility, spacious, tight handling, great looking, nice riding, solid car. Cruising at 70 mph, and tach only reads about 2000 rpm. My old car, a v6 also, used to read 3000 rpm. I live in the U.K. where sometimes it's better/safer to drive on the freeways fast (80mph+). I used to be a little concerned about motor wear in my old car. I don't think I'll have to be concerned about it anymore. I don't think that the 5 speed auto trans has any big issues. The V6 version is the best.

RAV4 handles well in the mountains
By MAC on 01/22/08 11:28 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the '08 RAV4 Sport V6 AWD right before the snow season. I drive on snow/ice covered roads regularly. The car handles well and rarely slips as I go up and down steep hills and around tight curves usually in 2-6 inches of snow at roughly 35 mph. I have not needed to use the lock-in feature for 4WD but it's nice to know it's available if snow gets too deep. On dry pavement, the RAV4 feels like a car. It's not bouncy like a truck frame 4WD and gets far better gas mileage. Plus, it really holds true speed with speed control engaged. No drift acceleration or deceleration through mountainous terrain. Fun to drive.

Lovin my Rav4
By matxutca on 01/19/08 17:16 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2008 V6 4WD Rav4 for a week and lovin' every minute of drivining it. I've already tested the PSI warning light as I had a nail in the tire within a few days of purchasing. Had the light not gone on, I suspect I would have had a flat tire vs. being able to check it out before it went completely flat. Engine very quiet - to the point it sounds like it stalled. It's the perfect size - takes up the same space in the garage as my Volvo S70 - maybe even a little less space.

Best of class
By Engineer on 01/05/08 15:49 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned the 6-cylinder Ltd version since November 07. It's a lot of fun to drive. The power of the V6 is amazing, and likewise the stopping ability is great, too. It corners very well, with a surprisingly tight turning radius, making it very easy to park. It has excellent visibility, which makes it easy to back out of a parking space. The dual climate controls work much better that the dual climate controls in my American-brand sedan. The side-opening rear door makes it easy for my 5-foot tall wife to load groceries and close the door afterwards. The 8-way adjustable seat gives her a good view of the road. She loves the car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota RAV4 in NJ is:

$181 per month*