Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Not Happy
By Carlos

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought my Rav-4 and am already not happy. I have been getting some back pains since buying the car. Test drove a couple of small SUVs because wanted to downsize and at the dealership this was great, but have started to have problems with the back hurting, no place to put change with out it ringing all the time, push button dash area stinks because everything I put in it slides and bangs, car bounces more than I like on highway, and cargo area light is a joke. My SUV also does not ding when the lights are left on, I plan to check when I go in for my first service.

The folding and adjustable rear seats, the 6 disc changer, gas is great.

Better suspension so that it rides smoother, better seats so that back does not hurt, coin holder better than the dumb hole next to steering wheel where it rings at every turn, better lighting in cargo area. I would like auto-locking when car reaches 10 or 15mph.

Quite possibly the Perfect Vehicle
By sp33dy_gr33n

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely love this vehicle. It is very quick with the V6 engine, and gets great gas mileage (25 mpg) for a 4wd, V6, SUV. The dimension of the vehicle are great too. Not too big, and not too small, and looks great.

The engine and trans. Great performance in the snow. Sliding rear seats.

Rear dome lamp to better illuminate the luggage area at night.

So far, so good
By John C

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's our first Toyota (past is mostly Hondas & Fords), and has been a good purchase so far. It replaced our Ford Explorer, and the ride and handling are great. 3rd row seat is good, but tight for the kids on short rides. Good ride / handling, and the 4 cyl engine has good acceleration (better than the CRV and V6 Escape we tested). Easy to get in and out for my wife (only 5' tall), and has good seating position. She drives it mostly around town, so we are only averaging 21 mpg, but hope to get better results on highway trips. Interior is well constructed, controls are easy to use with good layout. Looking forward to mileage on longer trips, and to see how good AWD drive is in the snow

Nice ride, easy/tight handling (easy to parallel park). 3rd row seat. Good gas mileage and responsive acceleration for a 4 cylinder. Toyota quality and safety record is impressive so far.

Obviously if they could put a little more torque into 4 cyl engine, or improve gas mileage, then the good would become great. Wait to see if mileage and AWD perform as desired.

Fun and Versatile RAV4 Limited V6
By hkwilson1977

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the RAV4 right before Labor Day weekend. It's one of the best cars I've owned, so far. The V6 is extremely powerful. When you really punch it, it can feel almost dangerous due to the torque, so be careful! :) Gas mileage is averaging about 22 mpg. Overall, this is an awesome vehicle for our family of 5. No regrets, I would definitely buy one again!

Powerful V6 engine that gets nearly as good of gas mileage as the 4-cyl, roomy interior, 3rd row is great for the kids, tight turn radius, practical yet fun to drive.

Steering responsiveness feels a bit "numb". Addition of an A/B button for the power driver seat would be handy. Higher quality interior materials. A little more sound-dampening material would be nice.

Problems with brakes and rattles
By Unhappy Owner

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first Toyota I have ever owned and will probably be the last. I have only had it for 2 months and I have lots of complaints. There are a lot of rattles coming from the dash and when I took it in of course they said they were not out of the ordinary. But, a bigger more serious problem is that the car has shut down on me twice while waiting at a red light. I have had to take the car in 4 times and they have put it on the computer and have not been able to duplicate the problem. They told me it's the traction sensor and that I am putting extreme pressure on the brakes which is causing the computer to think I am stopping suddenly and shutting down the engine. Is that nuts?

Spacious, comfortable, nice ride, peppy

Fix the traction control system and make the ABS brakes not so sensitive that the car shuts down.