2008 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Happy Camper
By Wm Leider on 07/19/10 15:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Rav4 Jan 2010 and traded my 2006 Matrix. Wife and I wanted something a little bigger and easier to get in and out of. I'm very pleased with both Toyota's and will buy another when I tire of this one.

Good and not good points
By DonH on 11/08/09 17:19 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First of all the bad. Road noise on this car is excessive and the ride is not good. I wasted money by putting the premium sound system in it. Unless it's parked you can't hear it very well. I've had trucks made in the 80's that had a comparable ride. You feel and hear every bump. I see that the 2009 reviews noted similar issues. It's a car that's used by my wife and the interior carpet looks like it's 5 years old. There is no reason for it except for very poor quality. The seats are not very comfortable. The good is that mechanically it's a very good vehicle. That's mainly why we bought it. Just make sure you can live with the other issues. Maybe the Limited version has better sound proofing.

Terrible
By k on 10/28/09 20:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2008 4 cyl rav 4 is the worst vehicle I have ever owned out of 15 toyotas. It rides like a tank especially in the rear. Why don't people tell the truth about this vehicle so some poor buyer won't be hurt? Can't wait to get rid of it. I've been with Toyota for 30 years and have been treated very well but the ride of this vehicle makes me sick and I will rethink my next vehicle.

One year old
By Fred on 12/27/08 07:10 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased an '07 RAV4, February, 2008, used, from a Toyota dealer, replacing a '01 Ford Taurus. Bought a 4 cyl, fwd. Use for daily commuter and weekend chores. Occasional trips. Just recently, averaged 27.5 mph at a steady 75 mph on a 500 mile round-trip. Around town, am getting 22 to 24 mph. As a daily driver, the car is excellent. Perfect for weekend chores. The swing rear door does cause some problems while carrying lumber, however, I knew that when I purchased the vehicle. Otherwise, car is perfect for intended use. Am very pleased with performance, handling, and overall build.

Good and Bad
By Sal on 12/25/08 08:39 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This seems to be a good car. My wife has a 2008 CRV and I naturally compare the 2. CRV has a nicer interior, but not as comfortable. The CRV is a higher trim level. CRV has better pick up and, so far, better fuel mileage. RAV4 is easy to get in an out of, has a lower lift to load back, easier folding seats, looks more manly and has better visibility. The cruise stalk is terrible, in the way. 2001 Escort was on the wheel, why can't a 2008 RAV4?. Doors should look when you put in gear. This is more of a runaround then a fall in love vehicle.

Not Happy
By Carlos on 12/03/08 10:51 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought my Rav-4 and am already not happy. I have been getting some back pains since buying the car. Test drove a couple of small SUVs because wanted to downsize and at the dealership this was great, but have started to have problems with the back hurting, no place to put change with out it ringing all the time, push button dash area stinks because everything I put in it slides and bangs, car bounces more than I like on highway, and cargo area light is a joke. My SUV also does not ding when the lights are left on, I plan to check when I go in for my first service.

Excellent Automobile
By Lynn Hollenbach on 10/26/08 14:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Previously purchased an '07 Subaru Outback and disappointed with the interior space, although a great driving machine. Have had the Rav4 for 3 weeks and my wife and I absolutely love this car. Excellent driving position and front seat comfort and visibility while the 4 cylinder engine provides more than adequate power. If we lived up north I would recommend the all wheel drive, but in Maryland and/or further south the FWD is excellent since EST and traction control are standard. The 6 cylinder only truly necessary if one lives in a hilly area. Averaging 25 MPG. Our favorite car in 40 years of driving.

Ahh, another Toyota!
By JHfrmPV on 08/31/08 22:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We had 3 Toyotas sitting at our house (Highlander Hybrid, 4Runner, and Camry), so it's no shock they were at the top of our list when it was time to get our daughter a car. We absolutely love the car all around and would definitely recommend it to everybody! MPG are excellent as we are getting 26 on average. Looked into the Escape as well and for a couple thousand more, you get better quality, mileage, and of course, legend reliability. Plenty of room for everyone, got it with the third row for convenience. Tight, but still fine. If you are looking at any comps, just go to the Toyota dealer and buy this car. You will never wish to look back! Now, we PROUDLY display 4 Toyotas at our home!

Love my ride!!
By luv2laff on 06/08/08 18:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my RAV4. I have the most basic model, but I love it. I traded in an aging Camry -- this is my third Toyota and they continue to be my favorite. Kids gone, so this is my 50th birthday present to me, and I don't regret the purchase at all. Handles well, love the interior, does have a transmission clunk when put into drive in the morning, but otherwise it's great. I did a lot of research before purchasing this SUV, and I definitely do not regret it. Getting older, so I love being able to "throw my hip" up into the seat instead of squatting down to get into a sedan (smile). No effort getting in or out for my elderly Mom.

Upholstery problems
By sewsue on 05/28/08 06:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this 08 base RAV at the end of October. It's now 7 months old and this is an update to an earlier post. The front upholstery continues to pill and fuzz and just look really, really bad. The back seats are fine since they are hardly used. I have an 8 year old car that looks better inside than this one. It took a certified letter to Toyota for Toyota to tell my dealer they would help them solve the problem. They've offered custom seat covers, but that was over a month ago and I'm still waiting to see if they match the rest of the interior. Wish I didn't like the handling and pep so much - it would be much easier to just get rid of the RAV.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.