Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

rav 4 bursts into flames
By lmcvey

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my 2008 rav 4....until I hit a deer going barely 25 miles an hour and the car burst into flames. Luckily, I got out of my car immediately after hitting the deer to inspect the damage. I honestly thought there may be little or no damage based on the minimal impact (airbags didn't go off and there was only a dent in the driver's side headlight area) but the car almost immediately started smoking and then promptly burst into flames. Toyota has been extremely non-responsive to my questions and I would never buy another one.

space

safety ratings, better customer service

Happy Camper
By Wm Leider

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Rav4 Jan 2010 and traded my 2006 Matrix. Wife and I wanted something a little bigger and easier to get in and out of. I'm very pleased with both Toyota's and will buy another when I tire of this one.

Size, economy, looks.

None

Good and not good points
By DonH

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First of all the bad. Road noise on this car is excessive and the ride is not good. I wasted money by putting the premium sound system in it. Unless it's parked you can't hear it very well. I've had trucks made in the 80's that had a comparable ride. You feel and hear every bump. I see that the 2009 reviews noted similar issues. It's a car that's used by my wife and the interior carpet looks like it's 5 years old. There is no reason for it except for very poor quality. The seats are not very comfortable. The good is that mechanically it's a very good vehicle. That's mainly why we bought it. Just make sure you can live with the other issues. Maybe the Limited version has better sound proofing.

Good mechanically.

Better sound proofing, improve the ride, better quality carpet.

Terrible
By k

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2008 4 cyl rav 4 is the worst vehicle I have ever owned out of 15 toyotas. It rides like a tank especially in the rear. Why don't people tell the truth about this vehicle so some poor buyer won't be hurt? Can't wait to get rid of it. I've been with Toyota for 30 years and have been treated very well but the ride of this vehicle makes me sick and I will rethink my next vehicle.

None, it's a garbage vehicle.

Fix the suspension so it won't hit so hard in the rear and it might be an ok vehicle.

One year old
By Fred

2008 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased an '07 RAV4, February, 2008, used, from a Toyota dealer, replacing a '01 Ford Taurus. Bought a 4 cyl, fwd. Use for daily commuter and weekend chores. Occasional trips. Just recently, averaged 27.5 mph at a steady 75 mph on a 500 mile round-trip. Around town, am getting 22 to 24 mph. As a daily driver, the car is excellent. Perfect for weekend chores. The swing rear door does cause some problems while carrying lumber, however, I knew that when I purchased the vehicle. Otherwise, car is perfect for intended use. Am very pleased with performance, handling, and overall build.

Interior room; peppy engine; sliding rear seats allowing for massive amount of legroom for rear passengers; fun to drive for a 4 cyl suv.

Accelerator is a bit touchy.