Used 2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great all around SUV
By Toyota Convert

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Drove a new 2010 RAV and decided to save $$$ and buy used since there was no difference in looks. My 2007 RAV (12k miles) like many others had a noise/clicking in the steering wheel when turning. After research I found out about the intermediate steering shaft for which Toyota issued a TSB. Since mine still had the factory warranty (also bought it certified) I took it back to the dealer and it was repaired in a few hours, no questions asked. I signed for the warranty and saw it was 516.00. The car is now 100% to my liking and I enjoy it more every day in every way. Love it - can't go wrong!

Favorite Features

Easy to use controls - well placed and displayed. The fold down seats in rear are a snap with the rear release. Really like the cargo area size for a small SUV and the ease/design of the cargo nets and cover.

Suggested Improvements

Could make a better tire cover design for ease of use - best idea would be to stow spare elsewhere and take it off the back.

Disappointed in Rav4 dependability
By Kerry Ross Boren

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several other Toyotas and I liked them for their dependability. I purchased a 2007 Rav4 for that reason and have been greatly disappointed. The brakes went out at 17,000 miles; an oil hose broke at 23,000; the tires wore out at 20,000 and had to be replaced; the paint job is chipping; the exterior is made of fiberglass and is easily damaged; the power steering column is failing and will have to be replaced at 23,000 miles. What a disappointment. Toyota fails to warranty any of these defects or make a recall for potentially dangerous ones. I have had this vehicle a little more than two years and it has proved to be an expensive liability. I will not purchase another Toyota.

Favorite Features

Drive-ability; style; comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job (paint chips easily); notification of defects and replacement under warranty; recall on dangerous defects; better body (fiberglass is subject to damage).

Steering Shaft and Rack Problems
By chris

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car, until I hit about 50,000 miles, then I noticed a knock in the steering, Total cost of repair on the vehicle will be close to $3000.00. Needs steering shaft and rack. Over 36,000 miles this is not covered and I just turned 52,000. I took it to the dealership complaining of an occasional knock at 20,000 and then again at 30,000 and they could find nothing wrong; they told me to get an alignment, this made it a little better but know it is highly annoying to drive the vehicle. There is a Tech bulletin out there for this problem, too bad they don't recall these parts. With the bad publicity you would think they would rectify this problem. I am not sure I would get another Toyota.

Great except for one thing!
By daf62757

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is actually my wife's car. I drive it about once or twice a week. The car now has 55K miles and the problems, or complaints that I want to mention are the lack of power when the AC is on, and the knocking that comes from the steering column linkage. The power is expected because it's a 4 cylinder. The linkage problem is a flaw that has received a technical notice, but no recall. Very frustrating that Toyota won't recall this and fix a potentially dangerous problem. Otherwise, a very good car and excellent for your wife to use for work or kid hauling.

Favorite Features

Size. Very good interior room and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Larger 4 cylinder to improve performance. Make it a hybrid for gas mileage improvement.

Poor Toyota quality and service
By sandy

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I experienced a windshield tick soon as I purchased the vehicle. Toyota service attempted a fix and it got worse. The tick was intermittent and after several trips to the dealer, and test drives, the dealer resealed the windscreen. The problem resurfaced recently. The dealers are unable to diagnose and fix it. My 36,000 mile warranty is expiring. There is also a rattle around the dash on the passenger side. Toyota is unable to diagnose that problem as well. I occasionally hear other noises and vibrations as well in the interior from the sun roof area and around the passenger door. Toyota replaced defective sun visors, and the glove compartments. The radio display mysteriously would go blank.