2007 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Excellent Compromise
By Bill W on 12/12/08 04:06 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota got it pretty much right with this little SUV. It has one of the best power trains ever put into a vehicle. We don't baby it, and at 76 mph we get an honest 26 mpg. Stunning. Good use of interior space with spare outside the car, but the cover for said spare does not like car washes: it is easily pried loose by spinning car washers, then falls off and gets scratched or damaged. Still hate Toyota's unwillingness to sell me cars the way I want them optioned. We had ZERO choice of options as sport models destined for our 5-state region all came equipped the same way. Toyota made a BIG mistake with the front seat geometry: They need more rear travel and the rear needs to be lower.

Almost the perfect vehicle
By Jeff on 12/11/08 16:55 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Can't argue with gobs of V6 power and 27 mpg. I've driven from FL to CO and back 2 times - no problems pulling 16-20 hours at a time in the saddle. JBL sound w/ subwoofer is awesome. Back seat is cavernous and comfortable. Love the reclining seats. The full size spare allowed me to get off a mountain pass after ruining a tire on a rock hidden in the snow. Try doing that with a donut spare. Downhill assist is a lifesaver on snowy, steep grades. I don't like the lousy 4WD system. Above 25 mph you have 2WD. If you lose traction you are on your own, even though there is a 4WD system that could help you out. I also hate the Sport's ridiculous harsh ride. Get the Limited for the softer suspension

Smooth Hwy, Little Rough Local Part 2
By sy on 10/21/08 22:43 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Follow up to my 4/12/08 review. Hesitation when accelerating is a torque steer issue. The front wheel drive can't handle the massive horsepower. Changed oil and tried premium gas to no avail. This engine is meant for 4WD & not really for FWD. Changed my local driving habits for this vehicle, cannot punch it from a start or at slower speeds & step on it when it's moving faster. Edmunds has an article, "Long-Term Test: 2006 Toyota RAV4" that goes into detail about this acceleration issue with FWD. Wished it came out sooner. We'll probably spend a few more bucks & get into the luxury segment next time. One thing I do know, this engine is sound and should last for a very long time.

Reliable, but poorly designed features.
By Andi on 09/21/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

6 Cyl offers quick pickup to get into traffic. Stylish looking. Driving w/ Sun/Moonroof up can be noisy. Fold-down seats are a cinch to use and offer a lot of storage room for trips to store.

Mostly Happy with Purchase
By Les on 09/16/08 12:10 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The snappy appearance and features are nice. The V-6 is powerful at about the same size as the engine in our Highlander. I have read many of the customer reviews and did not see anyone mentioning an engine whine between 35-45 mph. I don't know if this is a problem with having the V-6 and only 2w drive (does the engine need more resistance?).

RAV4s are GREAT SUVs
By 300winmag on 08/25/08 20:35 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My V6 RAV4 Sport 4WD has so much content and quality for a $25k SUV that one year later I'm still amazed at how Toyota did it. I live in the Mojave Desert and the optional "Tow Prep Package" w/bigger radiator & heavy duty alternator is a blessing. From all the many standard "Star Safety System" features - standard on ALL models - to the competence of the vehicle in many situations from the highway to rocky roads to snow to the speed (the V6 is a hot rod!) to the great mileage which, according to my ScanGauge II data center I installed, is right on at 27 mpg highway. This is still the best SUV for the money when power, mileage and quality are factored into the equation.

I like everything but the gas mileage
By Stan on 08/16/08 08:28 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 6 cyl is awesome and the handling is nice. But there is a lot of air noise and it is not a quiet ride. We now drive the sedan on long trips because of the interior noise. With gas at $4 a gallon, and going up, it may become too expensive to drive. I barely get 24 MPG on the interstate, driving 320 miles round trip, and barely 23 MPG, driving to work, and that's a 40 mile trip on the highway. My dealer told me, there is nothing he can do about the gas mileage if the check engine light is not "on". The ride is "OK" but not great.

07 Rav4 Sport V6
By Russ copping on 08/05/08 22:12 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Wife and I love the vehicle. To nit pick anyway: V6 offers fierce acceleration. Needing work... tranny has disconcerting habit of being "between gears" when braking to about 15 or 20 and then accelerating... races a bit before engaging proper gear. Pass gear engages too easily. No postings seen on this. May be adjustable by Toyota. Mildew smell from A/C vents at start up but dissipates quickly. Bit noisy at hwy speeds. White paint fairly fragile and nicks rather easily. Driving with one rear window down causes causes a 2 or 3 cycle "bup-bup- bup" pressure oscillation which is no fun on the ears. Don't push anything or front cap will crack. I still love the car and would buy another one.

Sister Salvation - Lil Blue
By Sister Salvation on 06/30/08 04:31 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My second RAV4! I liked my 2003 RAV4, but was ready to upgrade from the standard model. I love my new 2007 RAV4. After much debating and shopping around, I felt this had more bang for the buck and better gas mileage. The V6/4WD makes a HUGE difference as far as handling. The dealer also told me about making sure you are in D for drive vs 4th and I have not had an issue with mileage (21-23/27-30 depending on ac usage) I have driven/owned other competing models over the years and felt they didn't and still don't measure up to the RAV4. Most small SUVs still had that gocart feel. This is a solid, dependable car. I also really like the darker nautical blue color that is not that common.

Just out of college car
By VT on 06/17/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was a very generous gift from my parents for college graduation and although I would be happy with any car given to me, I am overall very pleased with this car. It's an SUV but doesn't necessarily drive like one. It accelerates fast and handles well around turns, it is not top-heavy like many SUVs. The storage is great! I've had that thing packed with 5 adults and enough luggage to where I've had to rely on my side mirrors to back-up, but everyone was comfortable and I heard no complaints, to my face that is. Fairly fuel-efficient for an SUV. Although if that's your priority, I would suggest a Ford Escape or Mercury Mariner.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.