Used 2007 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

2007 Rav4 $1700.00 Water eva System
By kkb3130

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Original owner 66949 miles. Symptom Check Engine lite/ Swerve tires lite & VSC lite. Advised "cracked" Canister (77740-0R010) $1000.00 no ryme or reason given. Repair done in 2hrs, very unhappy & will be trading in for another brand near future. I feel this was design flaw in system & toyota not taking resposibility. My next car won't be Toyota. kkb3130

Excessive Oil Consumption
By ravnmad

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2007 RAV4 ran dry on oil at 96,000 miles. Always maintained in a reasonable manner. Dealer and manufacturer refused to help offset repair cost that included replacing the 2.4 AZ-FE engine. There is a technical service bulletin addressing the design flaw of the 2AZ-FE engine, specifically related to the piston and ring assembly (TSB-0094-11). Reall list for this RAV4 includes intermediate shaft in steering column, Faulty air bag sensor, Rear lower control arm failure, unexpected acceleration and power widow switch fire hazzard to name a few. This list doesn't include the many TSB's affecting quality, namely the excesive oil consumption bulletin.

Favorite Features

Prior to the engine failure, the gas mileage was good.

Suggested Improvements

Get back to the basics that made Toyota a quality standard and honor customer loyalty. The Toyota Way is no longer practiced. I was a big fan of Toyota until I experienced very poor quality and even poorer customer support. Do not buy one of these unless the procedure outlined in the TSB has been performed. At a minimum, make sure to have an oil consumption test performed before making any commitment. You will not get support from Toyota.

Blown up rav4 @ 90K - Not recommended
By nomorerav

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just paid off my 2007 rav4 when it blow a motor. The water pump is located in the back and it broke. My wife drove it and blow up the motor. 8 grand for a new one. Even if she did not blow it up, the water pump is on the back of the engine. This requires the motor to be pulled to change it out. A $2000 to $3000 job depending on where you get it done. I had electrical problems. Tire wear issues, brake problems. All the senors would randomly go off on it. The Tire pressure senors where always needing replaced. I ended up junking the car, basically threw 20K down the drain. I know 2 other people that have had issues with water pump or rear main seal. And they all had there engines blown.

Suggested Improvements

Get another suv or at least the v6 and not an 2007, from what I read that was the worst year to own

Big Disappointment
By amy

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Rav 4 has 67000 miles and needs a new short block. The car is using too much oil. Estimated cost of repair is over $5000.00. In addition, the the light on the HV/AC controls need to be replaced. While under warranty we had to have the steering shaft and water pump replaced. I have had great experience with Toyota's in the past. But, this is not acceptable.

Favorite Features

flexibility of space.

Suggested Improvements

Make a quality product.

Great all around SUV
By Toyota Convert

2007 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Drove a new 2010 RAV and decided to save $$$ and buy used since there was no difference in looks. My 2007 RAV (12k miles) like many others had a noise/clicking in the steering wheel when turning. After research I found out about the intermediate steering shaft for which Toyota issued a TSB. Since mine still had the factory warranty (also bought it certified) I took it back to the dealer and it was repaired in a few hours, no questions asked. I signed for the warranty and saw it was 516.00. The car is now 100% to my liking and I enjoy it more every day in every way. Love it - can't go wrong!

Favorite Features

Easy to use controls - well placed and displayed. The fold down seats in rear are a snap with the rear release. Really like the cargo area size for a small SUV and the ease/design of the cargo nets and cover.

Suggested Improvements

Could make a better tire cover design for ease of use - best idea would be to stow spare elsewhere and take it off the back.