Used 2007 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

History of problems
By jimdereynier

2007 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2007 Rav 4 First 100,000 miles= a real problem At 80,000, external oil line blew- lost all oil but was just coming up an I 95 ramp so I was able to save engine- This occurred before the recall- - Bad battery in the first 18 months. - $600 air bag electronic line went bad- no recall. - Disk brake rotor plate- front and rear and to be replace- under 60,000 miles. 100,000- to 238,000 - Car works like a Toyota - and even get much better mileage than the first 100,000.- Bottom line- the engineering team should have been fired.

Favorite Features

This engine is way over powered- love it getting on to an interstate. Has more cargo space than 1990 4runner and 1999 pathfinder

Suggested Improvements

Who ever came up with the idea of running the camshaft oil line on the outside of the engines need to have serious training- a 100 years this line has been on the inside of the engine.

2007 Rav4 $1700.00 Water eva System
By kkb3130

2007 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Original owner 66949 miles. Symptom Check Engine lite/ Swerve tires lite & VSC lite. Advised "cracked" Canister (77740-0R010) $1000.00 no ryme or reason given. Repair done in 2hrs, very unhappy & will be trading in for another brand near future. I feel this was design flaw in system & toyota not taking resposibility. My next car won't be Toyota. kkb3130

WATER PUMP Failures - Majorly Expensive
By amyb6

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am on my third, very expensive, water pump replacement. Toyota recalls for everything and they should certainly cover this one!!!! It is a design flaw for sure.

Favorite Features

Runs great in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Fix water pumps at no charge to the consumer.

Issues with the car.
By pinkldy56

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 17,603 miles the water pump needed replacement which entailed removing the engine to get to the pump due to poor design. Fortunately the repair was under warranty. At 28,748 miles the car needs a new steering shaft which is not covered under the warranty because the car is already six years old; total cost at dealership service was $236.52 for the part and labor will be determined when I get he repair done.

Favorite Features

I love the 6 cyl speed when I need to enter a crowded highway. The cabin space is roomy and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The new 2013 RAV 4 has a better access to the water pump if repairs are needed.

Class Action? ...Anyone?
By booorav4

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine on my 07' Rav4Sport blew up at 86k miles. I had all repairs, replacements, even oil changes performed solely at Toyota dealerships. Something shoots out from inside the engine while I'm driving on the fwy one day, spews ALL of the oil out from inside, about 6-8 quarts, my rear wheels kicking that sludge back up onto that stupid rear gate with the tire on it while I desperately try to exit the fwy. I get it towed to the dealership where I had gotten an oil change 6 days prior; to find that there is a 3 sq inch hole in the bottom block and that I need a new engine. I take this up with corporate, aaand they're nice enough to offer me $1k toward the purchase of a new lemon.

Favorite Features

I quite liked it when the engine worked normally and did not experience any other sort of malfunction. Which in my 6 years of ownership has amounted to about an hour and a half.

Suggested Improvements

Replace my engine or vehicle immediately.