2007 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
WATER PUMP Failures - Majorly Expensive
By amyb6 on 12/31/13 11:59 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am on my third, very expensive, water pump replacement. Toyota recalls for everything and they should certainly cover this one!!!! It is a design flaw for sure.

Issues with the car.
By pinkldy56 on 07/03/13 14:28 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 17,603 miles the water pump needed replacement which entailed removing the engine to get to the pump due to poor design. Fortunately the repair was under warranty. At 28,748 miles the car needs a new steering shaft which is not covered under the warranty because the car is already six years old; total cost at dealership service was $236.52 for the part and labor will be determined when I get he repair done.

Class Action? ...Anyone?
By booorav4 on 02/25/13 11:30 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine on my 07' Rav4Sport blew up at 86k miles. I had all repairs, replacements, even oil changes performed solely at Toyota dealerships. Something shoots out from inside the engine while I'm driving on the fwy one day, spews ALL of the oil out from inside, about 6-8 quarts, my rear wheels kicking that sludge back up onto that stupid rear gate with the tire on it while I desperately try to exit the fwy. I get it towed to the dealership where I had gotten an oil change 6 days prior; to find that there is a 3 sq inch hole in the bottom block and that I need a new engine. I take this up with corporate, aaand they're nice enough to offer me $1k toward the purchase of a new lemon.

oil burning Rav 4
By rav88 on 01/09/13 14:25 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

the first Rav 4 I had (2006) was a "lemon" as whenever it rained the car flooded. So Toyota did replace the car after I got a lemon law attorney. This 2007 is guzzling oil and the representative I just spoke with me told me 1 quart for every 1000 miles is normal. WHO ARE THEY KIDDING? And the car has had maybe 6 recalls. Toyota deserves to be out of business.

Excessive Oil Consumption
By ravnmad on 11/08/12 07:52 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2007 RAV4 ran dry on oil at 96,000 miles. Always maintained in a reasonable manner. Dealer and manufacturer refused to help offset repair cost that included replacing the 2.4 AZ-FE engine. There is a technical service bulletin addressing the design flaw of the 2AZ-FE engine, specifically related to the piston and ring assembly (TSB-0094-11). Reall list for this RAV4 includes intermediate shaft in steering column, Faulty air bag sensor, Rear lower control arm failure, unexpected acceleration and power widow switch fire hazzard to name a few. This list doesn't include the many TSB's affecting quality, namely the excesive oil consumption bulletin.

Blown up rav4 @ 90K - Not recommended
By nomorerav on 10/19/12 10:38 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just paid off my 2007 rav4 when it blow a motor. The water pump is located in the back and it broke. My wife drove it and blow up the motor. 8 grand for a new one. Even if she did not blow it up, the water pump is on the back of the engine. This requires the motor to be pulled to change it out. A $2000 to $3000 job depending on where you get it done. I had electrical problems. Tire wear issues, brake problems. All the senors would randomly go off on it. The Tire pressure senors where always needing replaced. I ended up junking the car, basically threw 20K down the drain. I know 2 other people that have had issues with water pump or rear main seal. And they all had there engines blown.

2007 rav 4 v6 sport fully loaded
By dante_sparda on 10/16/12 12:11 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Brought a 2007 rav4 used few years back.i live on a hill so first thing i replaced the brakes and tires and brought some good yokohoma's from tire rack and felt the difference in handling the factory tires are horrible. you get about 19 to 20 miles city + highway. the ride is still stiff you do feel bumps. only thing i have done on the car is change tires,brakes , oil filter, air filter and cabin filter for the last years other wise no major issue..A.c does give out some stench even after getting serviced and cleaned.. going for a Subaru forester after reading some reviews..

Good car, though not exciting
By shootingstar3 on 02/21/12 18:01 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our RAV with 32k miles on it and have owned it 3 yrs now. Previously I had an '01 RAV which I just loved. This one is a very good car, but somehow not as satisfying. It has been reliable and versatile and pleasant, but I did like the seats, styling and overall size better in the old one. This car is more of a soccer mom car and since I don't have kids, I'm considering trading it for something more fun and sporty for a change.

Great vehicle with some reliability issues
By wolfzr2 on 08/25/11 11:48 AM (PDT)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new in 2007, I have around 50,000 miles on it now. I'm getting my 3rd transmission put in. The original failed at 25k with a cracked output shaft, and the 2nd one is whining constantly due to a poorly honed final drive gear. The steering shafts pop under stress, and the rear diff makes an odd THUNK when shifting into Drive from reverse. I'm on my 3rd set of tires, and I've already had to replace the front pads and rotors. Having said that, it's an awesome vehicle in the snow. Great power from the V6, plenty of room for 4. Just wish it had held up better.

Dumb water pump location
By brettgjacobs on 12/15/10 11:58 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Rav4 used about a year and a half ago. No, problems up until recently. My Rav turned 90,000 miles and I took it in for an oil change and the mechanic told me that the water pump was failing. Normally, this is a pretty simple repair on most cars but for the V6 specific Rav4 the water pump is buried behind the engine and requires the mechanic to lift or drop the engine to get to the water pump. So, it's about a 700-1000 issue to fix and most all V6 Rav's will need this nearing 100,000. Just a heads up! Otherwise, I love my Rav4!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.