Used 2007 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

WATER PUMP Failures - Majorly Expensive
By amyb6

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am on my third, very expensive, water pump replacement. Toyota recalls for everything and they should certainly cover this one!!!! It is a design flaw for sure.

Favorite Features

Runs great in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Fix water pumps at no charge to the consumer.

Issues with the car.
By pinkldy56

2007 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 17,603 miles the water pump needed replacement which entailed removing the engine to get to the pump due to poor design. Fortunately the repair was under warranty. At 28,748 miles the car needs a new steering shaft which is not covered under the warranty because the car is already six years old; total cost at dealership service was $236.52 for the part and labor will be determined when I get he repair done.

Favorite Features

I love the 6 cyl speed when I need to enter a crowded highway. The cabin space is roomy and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The new 2013 RAV 4 has a better access to the water pump if repairs are needed.

Class Action? ...Anyone?
By booorav4

2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine on my 07' Rav4Sport blew up at 86k miles. I had all repairs, replacements, even oil changes performed solely at Toyota dealerships. Something shoots out from inside the engine while I'm driving on the fwy one day, spews ALL of the oil out from inside, about 6-8 quarts, my rear wheels kicking that sludge back up onto that stupid rear gate with the tire on it while I desperately try to exit the fwy. I get it towed to the dealership where I had gotten an oil change 6 days prior; to find that there is a 3 sq inch hole in the bottom block and that I need a new engine. I take this up with corporate, aaand they're nice enough to offer me $1k toward the purchase of a new lemon.

Favorite Features

I quite liked it when the engine worked normally and did not experience any other sort of malfunction. Which in my 6 years of ownership has amounted to about an hour and a half.

Suggested Improvements

Replace my engine or vehicle immediately.

oil burning Rav 4
By rav88

2007 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

the first Rav 4 I had (2006) was a "lemon" as whenever it rained the car flooded. So Toyota did replace the car after I got a lemon law attorney. This 2007 is guzzling oil and the representative I just spoke with me told me 1 quart for every 1000 miles is normal. WHO ARE THEY KIDDING? And the car has had maybe 6 recalls. Toyota deserves to be out of business.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

mirrors should have auto defrost. fix the oil burning problem.

Excessive Oil Consumption
By ravnmad

2007 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2007 RAV4 ran dry on oil at 96,000 miles. Always maintained in a reasonable manner. Dealer and manufacturer refused to help offset repair cost that included replacing the 2.4 AZ-FE engine. There is a technical service bulletin addressing the design flaw of the 2AZ-FE engine, specifically related to the piston and ring assembly (TSB-0094-11). Reall list for this RAV4 includes intermediate shaft in steering column, Faulty air bag sensor, Rear lower control arm failure, unexpected acceleration and power widow switch fire hazzard to name a few. This list doesn't include the many TSB's affecting quality, namely the excesive oil consumption bulletin.

Favorite Features

Prior to the engine failure, the gas mileage was good.

Suggested Improvements

Get back to the basics that made Toyota a quality standard and honor customer loyalty. The Toyota Way is no longer practiced. I was a big fan of Toyota until I experienced very poor quality and even poorer customer support. Do not buy one of these unless the procedure outlined in the TSB has been performed. At a minimum, make sure to have an oil consumption test performed before making any commitment. You will not get support from Toyota.