120K miles and still purring like a kitten
By cinderella123 on
2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
I'm the 3rd owner of my '06 4cyl 4WD, base model RAV, which had a 110K miles on her when purchased from a private seller. She was well cared for by her previous owners, with the replacement of the rear window wiper motor as the biggest issue. Since owning her, I've maintained her well and she purrs like a kitten & runs like a race horse. I've read a lot of negatives reviews here, but neither I nor the previous owners (judging from car reports and Toyota service records) have encountered any of it. I couldn't be happier with the continued solid & reliable performance of my Made in Japan RAV4, and look forward to years with her. It's all in the personal care and maintenance you give them.
Favorite Features
Fav feature has to be the exterior design; the RAV4 is just the sexiest looking SUV out there IMO. I also like the large rear side windows, that are not little triangle shapes like in other mid-size SUVs; rear visibility was a major "must have" on my list. Also the design and positioning of the side mirrors and rear view is so ergonomically well done that watching the rear action is like having eyes in the back of my head and looking out a big expansive window. There's no effort at all in seeing everything behind you. Gas mileage is also great considering the size.
Suggested Improvements
Well, I've got an 06, so I would imagine anything I say has been improved upon already in subsequent models.
By squarebomb
on 10/24/12 16:15 PM (PDT)

Wow! You got lucky with your RAV4. But you didn't mention any of the recalls on your vehicle and there are a few. Check your shiny stainless steel muffler and see how nice it still looks. Ours rusted through and Toyota considered it normal. Meanwhile, our 1999 RAV4 L's exhaust system still looks new. Listen carefully to your water pump bearings about to grenade. Keep an eye out on your coolant level. Make sure you take it in for the rear trailing arm recall. If you don't have the steering wheel knock, consider yourself lucky. Make sure your rear shocks are not leaking. When you get CEL, VSC and 4WD lights come on at the same time, get the codes read. Chances are one or more of your 6 ignition coils have gone bad. Our 1999 RAV4 L is solid compared to our 06 V6 Limited. Good luck.