2006 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Review: Expected a little more!

2006 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Expected a little more!
By cayugajim on

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'll begin by saying that my RAV4 was purchased to replace a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. So for comparison purposes, the RAV is a far superior vehicle. However, the 4 cyl in my base model is underpowered and hesitates when cold. According to the dealer, this is normal and part of the vehicle's computer program to maximize efficiency. Fuel economy is also a bit disappointing. With a ratio of 70/30 city/hwy driving, I've never exceeded 22 mpg (usually around 20). On the plus side, the all wheel drive is great and the vehicle is very reliable. It's also quite roomy and easy to drive. The hard plastic spare tire cover looks great, but is a bear to put back on!

Reliability, comfort, looks, rear seat fold-down latch. This vehicle is also great in the snow!

4 cyl power and hesitation, fuel economy, road noise, radio is not as clear as my Corolla. The spare tire cover is difficult to replace and will destroy your knuckles. Also, the tire pressure monitor is extremely sensitive (I always find myself adding air when the outside temp changes).