Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

OK so far
By scott

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought rav4 for the quality and it's been great in the snow and it did have 29000 when purchased. Few minor things, air pressure warning problems, some brake issues.

Favorite Features

The way it handles in the snow is great.

Liking It
By Bree

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2002 Ford Explorer that I totaled in a roll over accident & I got the RAV4 to replace it, so far I think it was a great choice! I commute 50 miles to work & it was quite an improvement in fuel efficiency. I live in WI, so I needed something with 4 wheel drive to handle the poor winter driving conditions. After having driven a Ford there is a drastic difference in the design quality of the Toyota- seems to have the driver in mind with the interior layout. I miss having the smoother accelerating power of a V6, but will gladly take the better gas mileage of the RAV4.

Favorite Features

Honestly, the entire vehicle. I really love driving it. I also like the cargo nets and hooks for grocery bags.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.

Toyota good but certainly not perfect
By TJ

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Original equipment tires wore out at 40000km (even though they were inflated and rotated at factory specs). Paint damage at 75000km is terrible. Rocker panels and lower door panels are full of rock marks (factory mud guards too small). Gas mileage has never come close to high end of rating, stays around 26- 27MPG (imperial gallons) regardless of city or highway driving. It is dependable but the worst, most disappointing thing is looking at the amount of paint damage on a 3 year old vehicle...unbelievable.

Favorite Features

This Rav4 is the "Limited" version so seating is nice, performance adequate ride is firm. The practicality of the Rav4 is very good.

Suggested Improvements

DEFINITELY needs improvements in rocker panel, lower door paint protection. Factory tires are junk good for 40000km's. Rear door can't be opened when ice and snow collects on the rear bumper.

Great SUV
By mike

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife's vehicle, she loves it. Looked at Honda CRV, no comparison. RAV is much sturdier and roomier. Great utility, Camry reliability, pretty good gas mileage (for SUV it's great) and lots of room. I can't imagine a more space efficient vehicle. Takes me a while to find a comfortable seating position for a long drive - I'm 6'2". Wife is 5'3", says the RAV is even more comfortable than my Camry for her. Swing-out back door is a little awkward at times, but you get used to it. Tire pressure sensor is a pain at times (cold weather), but you can disable it. Overall, we've had the RAV 15 months, couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

Space, utility, back seat is comfortable and very roomy - no complaints sitting back there. Wife loves sunroof, interior and exterior design, 18" wheels, sitting high, passing gas pumps (very good MPG for SUV).

Suggested Improvements

Occasional wind noise. Different tailgate design. Steering wheel seems like it could use more tilt angle (lower) and more telescoping length.

Love it but improve all fabric & carpet
By nanat94

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Please note that the interior is black... not first, but only choice in the metroplex. I love driving the car and the design is great. Importantly, the one-inch difference between this updated model and the Highlander (previously owned the 2002) means a $10,000 savings. I can live easier with the lesser standard interior fabrics!).

Favorite Features

Quick and ease of putting rear seats down. Storage is abundant; The net secure for items. I love the design of the sport in particular; easily added bug shield. Bought inserts for the cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

The fabric on door shows smudges; carpet looks cheap, upholstery shows everything and is rough on bare legs. (REALLY disliked!) It is difficult to clean around tire cover and it gets scratched easily & is too low. Wish the rear window could be lowered. Needs all vinyl 2-tone interior choice!