2006 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
OK so far
By scott on 10/09/09 20:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought rav4 for the quality and it's been great in the snow and it did have 29000 when purchased. Few minor things, air pressure warning problems, some brake issues.

Liking It
By Bree on 08/22/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2002 Ford Explorer that I totaled in a roll over accident & I got the RAV4 to replace it, so far I think it was a great choice! I commute 50 miles to work & it was quite an improvement in fuel efficiency. I live in WI, so I needed something with 4 wheel drive to handle the poor winter driving conditions. After having driven a Ford there is a drastic difference in the design quality of the Toyota- seems to have the driver in mind with the interior layout. I miss having the smoother accelerating power of a V6, but will gladly take the better gas mileage of the RAV4.

Toyota good but certainly not perfect
By TJ on 08/21/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Original equipment tires wore out at 40000km (even though they were inflated and rotated at factory specs). Paint damage at 75000km is terrible. Rocker panels and lower door panels are full of rock marks (factory mud guards too small). Gas mileage has never come close to high end of rating, stays around 26- 27MPG (imperial gallons) regardless of city or highway driving. It is dependable but the worst, most disappointing thing is looking at the amount of paint damage on a 3 year old vehicle...unbelievable.

Great SUV
By mike on 03/17/09 17:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife's vehicle, she loves it. Looked at Honda CRV, no comparison. RAV is much sturdier and roomier. Great utility, Camry reliability, pretty good gas mileage (for SUV it's great) and lots of room. I can't imagine a more space efficient vehicle. Takes me a while to find a comfortable seating position for a long drive - I'm 6'2". Wife is 5'3", says the RAV is even more comfortable than my Camry for her. Swing-out back door is a little awkward at times, but you get used to it. Tire pressure sensor is a pain at times (cold weather), but you can disable it. Overall, we've had the RAV 15 months, couldn't be happier.

Love it but improve all fabric & carpet
By nanat94 on 03/09/09 09:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Please note that the interior is black... not first, but only choice in the metroplex. I love driving the car and the design is great. Importantly, the one-inch difference between this updated model and the Highlander (previously owned the 2002) means a $10,000 savings. I can live easier with the lesser standard interior fabrics!).

RAV4 I$ A LEMON!!
By RAV4 I$ A LEMON!! on 03/04/09 08:53 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I commute from the SF Bay Area to Sacramento,70 miles each way. The stretch of freeway is rough & you feel every bump in the road. The seats are stiff and not enough thigh support. I had to get the brakes replaced at 40k with almost all freeway driving, not stop & go. The car sometimes doesn't start immediately (since purchase) and what I hate most is you can't get the key out of the ignition without moving the gear shift in park back & forth. The dealer says NOTHING WRONG... It had a major oil leak (covered w/power train) air noise from windshield, and rear door. rattles if not on a completely smooth surface. Needs torque & power to rear wheels in turns, & quick acceleration r feels unstable

Excellent value and utility
By medina607 on 02/22/09 16:45 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in an Explorer for the RAV4 and haven't regretted it. Amazing cargo space with the back seat down, and pretty good with it up too. The 4 cylinder engine is very peppy, although with my lead foot and in-town driving I average 21mpg. No mechanical or electrical problems at 33,000 miles. For a single person, couple, or small family its great.

Good little SUV but no sizzle
By RavCanuck on 01/30/09 14:28 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Nice little SUV that my wife loves to drive. Great for driving with car seat age kids due to ride height. 4wd pretty good in Canadian snow and has never been stuck even with the all seasons. Not the quietest or fastest with the 4 cyl but racing is not this SUV's forte anyways.

Expected a little more!
By cayugajim on 01/29/09 14:12 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'll begin by saying that my RAV4 was purchased to replace a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. So for comparison purposes, the RAV is a far superior vehicle. However, the 4 cyl in my base model is underpowered and hesitates when cold. According to the dealer, this is normal and part of the vehicle's computer program to maximize efficiency. Fuel economy is also a bit disappointing. With a ratio of 70/30 city/hwy driving, I've never exceeded 22 mpg (usually around 20). On the plus side, the all wheel drive is great and the vehicle is very reliable. It's also quite roomy and easy to drive. The hard plastic spare tire cover looks great, but is a bear to put back on!

Best vehicle we have had.
By Donna on 01/07/09 08:03 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car. Gets us through the snow. Gas mileage is better than we could expect for being called a "truck". Stay with the higher rated Ethanol gas (manual states tested). We have on occasion had to fill up with the regular brands. Expensive!! Had a 1995 Altima before. It got us 100km more on ethanol. This vehicle gets us 100kms more than the Altima on a fill-up. (Both same size of tank.) Averaged 32 mpg on a trip that had freeway and city driving. Original tires were 17 inch all seasons. Very stiff ride. Felt all the bumps in the road. When needing snow tires, we called around and found out you could put on 16 inch tires. Saved us a lot of money, and, have a smoother ride.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.