2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
steeringwheel clunking
By mayson on 03/06/10 12:43 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed the vehicle for 4 years. We take it to the Eastern Sierras for trout fishing and can take the steep grades with ease with the V6. The only problem that I have encountered is the steering wheel clunking on slow turns. The steering knuckle was replaced under warranty at approximately 15,000 miles. Now at 29,000 miles it is clunking again on the replaced unit. There is definitely a design flaw by Toyota and they need to own up to it. I will be taking it in for servicing and demand a replacement even if it is over 36 months warranty time limit.

NO GOOD BUILD QUALITY
By DSANCHEZ on 02/10/10 19:12 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My first SUV, good fuel economy, good comfort & easy to drive. But in my opinion no good build quality, the brakes have been replaced twice, the first time was in Dec. 2007. The dampers has been replaced once. Noise in the back started six months ago, finally the last month Toyota Shop found the cause of the noise: one large screw of the left damper support is damaged!!!

ALMOST PERFECT FOR THE FIRST 36000 MI
By ovi on 02/07/10 05:00 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased the RAV4 in feb 2006 , it works very well in city drive , highway ride is dominated by infernal noise , the design is nice but the quality of this vehicle is nonexistent . After the first car wash i noticed a lot of white paint chips on the front hood then soon after 36000 a two thousand dollars array of repairs started : rear shocks, front brakes , intermediary steering shaft , belt tensioner ,dash glove compartment door . At 74500 miles every time i stop an a traffic light i have to shift in neutral because of very heavy vibration and noise and the CD changer works occasionally . The technicians at the dealership find all this normal , if soo , TOYOTA IS NOT FOR ME.

Lady owner
By ANNE on 01/31/10 22:37 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle is wide, roomy, zippy, comfortable. Has plenty of pockets and storage places. Nice to have spare wheel out of boot compartment. So easy to get in and out of with higher seats and doorway large enough to allow for a tall person without unnecessary stooping. But topping everything is the ease of the electronic steering and the use of cruise control on longer trips on the flats. The only con is the surging of the auto gear system, at unexpected times.

good except in heavy snow
By MReid on 01/31/10 03:38 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the RAV-4 in Florida before moving to Germany. It is a 4WD with all season tires. In heavy snow & ice I have been slipping and sliding everywhere, rear-end fishtails out of turns and I'm not driving fast. I find this disappointing. I was expecting much better traction in the snow. I also think Toyota needs to put the emergency flashers closer to the drivers side hands and not over to the passengers side, it is very inconvenient. Also, Toyota could redesign the rear door to open up instead of out. Otherwise, I love the vehicle, great cargo space and great turning radius.

Fun, Safe, Reliable, Sharp!
By Chris on 12/21/09 19:09 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned this rav4 limited 4wd since aug 2006, so here's a real road test. Sticker said: 23-28 9 city/hwy), I average 28 mpg, with a few tanks getting 30-33 mpg. And yes it's a 4wd. Only changes made, were those junky Yokohama tires at 29k miles. Everything else is original & still going strong!

UNRELIABLE
By MIKE on 12/08/09 22:15 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Unreliable for the long run. Had several warranty repairs, rear shock absorbers, water pump, steering shaft. Then after 60000 kms no support from Toyota Canada. Try and do repairs through the dealers and end up paying 2 times the price on parts alone.

My "Dream" car
By Gram on 12/08/09 16:35 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My RAV4 is an unbelievable value. I had a 1999 RAV4 before I bought the 06, and it was one of the most reliable cars I have ever driven. Performance/handling is excellent, with ESC (electronic stability control). Fit and Finish is OK, with cloth seating, and some nice interior touches. Major flaws include no cargo net (when I have a heavy load, sometimes things fall out.), and that's about it. My RAV4 is probably one of the most reliable cars out there, today. Truly, my RAV4, is my "Dream" car.

Loved our Rav
By Warren on 11/29/09 06:32 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our Rav was one of the best cars we've owned and we were so impressed on Toyota that when we needed a larger vehicle we bought a Sienna. The interior was so cool and everything was well placed and plenty of compartments to put stuff. Great car!

A Tin Can
By adavid on 11/05/09 06:19 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this RAV last summer and could not believe the road noise it generated on highways. Didn't matter that I replaced all 4 tires...it was still so frustratingly loud, after a long trip, my ears would ring for hours. Later I find out that the sound/vibration barriers are pretty much non-existent in this car. The v6 engine is very jumpy and gas mileage is a joke. Poor build quality is not something I associate Toyota with but in this case... Make sure you take one out on the highway before you buy...you won't believe your ears!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.