Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

It will get you to where you need to go but not much else
By cato1998

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my RAV 4 for 5 years now and it's the 3rd Toyota I've owned ('91 celica and '00 celica being the others). All my toyotas have been really great on quality. I bought this RAV 4 because of it being more practical than my 2000 toyota celica I traded it in for. The RAV 4 can get me through the midwestern snow storms without much problems (big problem with my celica). It gets great gas milage for a SUV but the RAV 4 is pretty vanilla. Not really exciting to drive. It will get me to where I need to go but that's about it.

-Great gas milage. I get 22 mpg in town and 28 on the road which isn't bad for a small SUV. -It gets me through the snow drifts in the winter and traction on icy roads. -Quality! The only quality issue I've had in the 5 years I've owned this is the water pump leaking at 34000 miles. Because it was still under the powertrain warranty, it was replaced at no cost. Other than that, I've had no problems with this car.

-Road noise! I have to have the radio up LOUD to hear it over the road noise when cruising at medium or higher speeds. Yes the road noise is that loud! -Cheap interior materials. LOTS of hard cheap plastic! -Hard seats make it uncomfortable for long trips. I put the car on cruise control and stretch out my legs and try and move around in my seat because it gets uncomfortable. -Side opening tailgate. It takes up a lot of room to swing the gate open. If you have cargo that you are trying to haul that is long (such as lumber), you can't extend it out the back because it isn't a hatch back type. Not a very practical design.

High pitched sound on 40 mph+
By ToyotaOwner

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm just writing to say that yes, my 06 RAV4 has the high pitched noise at 40 mph. It's been going on for years now - and the sound continues sometimes up into the 60s. Extremely annoying. Also, I have a hum that is constant when idling. Windows stick into the runner - had them replaced once. But issue has returned. Rav4 is noisy, I agree. These little annoyances are causing me to look into another model. Seats are like sitting on cardboard...wish they were more plush and comfy. I get GREAT gas mileage though. Taken trips and once got 31mpg - usually highway driving allots 26-30 mpg and in town 23-24 mpg. Great vehicle - just the constant, daily noises are wearing on me.

Dog friendly - particularly small dog.

Make the seats more comfortable, please.

Great for familys!
By ananomous

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our 2006 Toyota rav4 base 4x4 w/ 3rd row in 2009 used to be a lease but there has been no problems. we have 5 kids and one adult and a driving teen and its ran great for long car trips and commuting. good car that will last a long time. A lot of trunk space and cargo it has seats that fold flat. easy to get into 3rd row has 10 cup holders and more!

3rd row, 4x4, gas mileage, seating, easy to park, almost indestructible, mp3 plug in, light doors, car seat anchors.

small 3rd row, hard to plug in mp3, small middle seat, a/c and heat only in 1st row.

Well worth it - I highly recommend
By medina607

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my base 4 cylinder 4WD new, have averaged only 10,00 miles a year, and have absolutely no complaints. Very reliable. Great looking little SUV with surprising cargo capability - I once fit a twin size mattress in it with the back hatch closed. Have to believe that buying one of these used is a good choice.

Looks, acceleration, cargo capability

None

Fun Factor
By tom

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it second hand from US (1 year, 7,000 miles) and drive it in Europe, where RAV4's with 269 hp are very rare. Fun factor is acceleration and faces of the guys from $50.000 branch cars when they cannot get me on the road ;-) It's bigger when it comes to passenger & luggage space then EU model. Good. Very silent compared to cars I had (even Mercedes C-Class is louder inside). Fuel consumption relatively high, but when you check 270 hp competitors you will see, that actually RAV4 isn't fuel hungry really. Interior from stone ages, even 2010 model left it almost untouched. Lack of board computer (EU's have it). Relatively reliable only when properly serviced.

Acceleration of Porsche Cayenne (basic model) for the 25% value of it. Comfy on the highway, gets loud over 160-180 km/h (+100 mph). Sleeper type of a car, which easily makes drivers of expensive & fancy cars sweating.

- Stoneage interior design. - Stronger brakes required or even a must! - Could wear better tires, serial Yokohama-ones are a nightmare. Exchange it right away and give it for free to your enemy. Mine Dunlop Sport SP01 gave this car another life (summer time).

• SUV