Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

The Perfect Small SUV
By Wally

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is truly a great small SUV. Since the 2006 RAV4 is now larger, it actually looks like a mid-sized SUV now. Gas mileage is great. It looks great. The V6 is very quick, and can easily pass by other vehicles on the road. In fact, it is faster than many vehicles out there today, including many sports sedans. It can reach 60 mph in 6.7 seconds, faster than any SUV out there. It is very roomy. Controls are nicely laid out. My RAV4 Limited came with factory installed heated leather bucket seats, which are very comfortable. If you're looking for a nice SUV, make sure you check out the RAV4!

Quiet engine, smooth ride, good acceleration on the V6 models.

Make a built-in navigation system and satellite radio an option.

Compare all Vehicles in the same category
By Morris

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Seats are stiff. Stereo hard to read like trying to read your cell phone display when you are outside. Tailgate swings sideways... inconvienent if someone parks behind you. The bass in the radio vibrates when only set at a level "2". Radio sound is so so. Gas mileage is 23 mpg overall. Interior sides scuff VERY easily. I wish the passenger seat folded flat to hold an 8 ft ladder. Radio controls on the steering wheel should be standard.

It's fast. Gas mileage is good but not as good as they say. I like that you can flatten the rear seats from the rear. The tailgate swinging sideways may be good for those loading a kayak on top. But I prefer the "lift up" tailgate.

Switch to tailgate that lifts up. Have scuffproof plastic inside. Radio is only so so sound. But you cant upgrade unless you go to the Limited. Make seats more plush. Put trip odometer button in easier access place on the dash instead of reaching thru the steering wheel.

First Foreign Car Buy a Disappointment
By KB

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After all of the great reviews on here and on Consumer Reports for Toyota, I was really excited to buy the new RAV4 Limited, my first foreign car. I'm not sure I'd do it again if I knew a few things in advance - I'm 6'1" tall and I need 1 or 2 more inches of driver side leg room, headlights don't turn on automatically and the electric outlet only works when car is on. Also, the acceleration is excellent, but the transmission doesn't seem to know how to accommodate it from a stop; my tires squeal too easily... and I'm not a stranger to good acceleration.

Style, combination of cargo space and fuel mileage, solid build, acceleration, dual climate control. Front storage space.

More driver side leg room! (Better comfort, period, for drivers taller than 5'10".) Auto headlights. Ability to charge a cell phone even if the ignition isn't on. A place to be able to clip my garage door opener. Cupholders that secure cups better.

Acceleration problem
By Lynn

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

There's a problem in acceleration delay/throttle lag that Toyota should be aware of by now. Since taking delivery JAN06, we've experienced continual erratic acceleration problems. These are significant delays - from 3-6 seconds - in delivering forward speed from either rolling starts or dead stops and is most evident when turning corners or going up hills. The delay is followed by a sudden delivery of power, then the car lurches forward with no change in pressure on the accelerator. When attempting to pass at highway speeds, after the delay it goes into passing gear and immediately drops back out. All conditions when this happens can be dangerous. I have reported to NHTSA. Dealer is no help.

First Toyota. Main consideration was supposed reliability and quality. Except for acceleration problems, we might be satisfied with it. We are now very concerned about our purchase.

Fix the acceleration problem before it causes an accident.

Our first cute ute
By Joe Greene

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have thoroughly enjoyed our RAV4. We have been accustomed to much larger and more pretentious cars (Except for a VW Golf Turbo) and have been very happy with this fun and utilitarian vehicle. We are a little disappointed with the fuel economy, averaging 17 in town and 20 on the road. Not as good as our Volvo S80. However, the Rav4 is fun to drive, holds a lot of stuff and at this point is very solidly built.

Space, driving position, maneuverability, great appearance.

A/C duct to rear seat, compass, trip computer, GPS.

• SUV