Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Compare all Vehicles in the same category
By Morris

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Seats are stiff. Stereo hard to read like trying to read your cell phone display when you are outside. Tailgate swings sideways... inconvienent if someone parks behind you. The bass in the radio vibrates when only set at a level "2". Radio sound is so so. Gas mileage is 23 mpg overall. Interior sides scuff VERY easily. I wish the passenger seat folded flat to hold an 8 ft ladder. Radio controls on the steering wheel should be standard.

Favorite Features

It's fast. Gas mileage is good but not as good as they say. I like that you can flatten the rear seats from the rear. The tailgate swinging sideways may be good for those loading a kayak on top. But I prefer the "lift up" tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Switch to tailgate that lifts up. Have scuffproof plastic inside. Radio is only so so sound. But you cant upgrade unless you go to the Limited. Make seats more plush. Put trip odometer button in easier access place on the dash instead of reaching thru the steering wheel.

First Foreign Car Buy a Disappointment
By KB

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After all of the great reviews on here and on Consumer Reports for Toyota, I was really excited to buy the new RAV4 Limited, my first foreign car. I'm not sure I'd do it again if I knew a few things in advance - I'm 6'1" tall and I need 1 or 2 more inches of driver side leg room, headlights don't turn on automatically and the electric outlet only works when car is on. Also, the acceleration is excellent, but the transmission doesn't seem to know how to accommodate it from a stop; my tires squeal too easily... and I'm not a stranger to good acceleration.

Favorite Features

Style, combination of cargo space and fuel mileage, solid build, acceleration, dual climate control. Front storage space.

Suggested Improvements

More driver side leg room! (Better comfort, period, for drivers taller than 5'10".) Auto headlights. Ability to charge a cell phone even if the ignition isn't on. A place to be able to clip my garage door opener. Cupholders that secure cups better.

Acceleration problem
By Lynn

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

There's a problem in acceleration delay/throttle lag that Toyota should be aware of by now. Since taking delivery JAN06, we've experienced continual erratic acceleration problems. These are significant delays - from 3-6 seconds - in delivering forward speed from either rolling starts or dead stops and is most evident when turning corners or going up hills. The delay is followed by a sudden delivery of power, then the car lurches forward with no change in pressure on the accelerator. When attempting to pass at highway speeds, after the delay it goes into passing gear and immediately drops back out. All conditions when this happens can be dangerous. I have reported to NHTSA. Dealer is no help.

Favorite Features

First Toyota. Main consideration was supposed reliability and quality. Except for acceleration problems, we might be satisfied with it. We are now very concerned about our purchase.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the acceleration problem before it causes an accident.

Our first cute ute
By Joe Greene

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have thoroughly enjoyed our RAV4. We have been accustomed to much larger and more pretentious cars (Except for a VW Golf Turbo) and have been very happy with this fun and utilitarian vehicle. We are a little disappointed with the fuel economy, averaging 17 in town and 20 on the road. Not as good as our Volvo S80. However, the Rav4 is fun to drive, holds a lot of stuff and at this point is very solidly built.

Favorite Features

Space, driving position, maneuverability, great appearance.

Suggested Improvements

A/C duct to rear seat, compass, trip computer, GPS.

Rav4 '06 3.5L 2WD after 3.5k miles
By Calin

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought it for brand reliability, utility and looks. We use to take 10-15 hrs drive roadtrips. Mileage is 16-22 city and 26-30 freeway. It completely depends on how you drive it. If you tend to rev over 2400 rpm when accelerating and over 2000 rpm normal driving you will get low mpg, otherwise you can get the 22/30 mpg. We love it as it is fun to drive at decent mileage and has plenty of space for how it looks from outside. The antenna does not bother you too much. We found the seat cushion ergonomics not so pleasant after 10 hr driving. Seat cushion is too hard and not long enough. A long drive can be uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

Huge space for passengers and cargo, outside spare gives plenty of cargo space inside, V6 is fun to drive, looks and finishing quality, visibilty, hopefully reliability and low maintenance cost over the long run.

Suggested Improvements

When you go over bumps is really noisy so do not try it offroad, JBL sound is not the best, work more on mpg improvement, incorporate antenna in back window, work on front cups ergonomics, work on seat cushion ergonomics, work on climate control logic as it tends to take too much control of its own.