Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Blown engine before 90,000 miles
By Jan Johnson

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from the dealership, new. They did all the service. This year, with car still under 90K miles, the engine blew. This car had never been abused. Oil and engine had been maintained on schedule. I'm a 63 year old female - no hard driving was taking place in this car. The car was taken in for all standard service points. Was driving back from the airport and heard this sound - sounded like a rod or something - and drove it straight to the dealer. Cost to repair - estimated at $6000 to $7000 or so, before repairs were made. I was not happy. After several conversions and an expression to the dealership about my lost faith in Toyota - I had hoped to own this car to over 200,000 miles or more - they eventually involved the factory. In all fairness, the factory ended up picking up all but about $1500 or so, which I paid. My faith in Toyota has been shaken significantly - I guess in 2006 there was still the legacy of the previous management regime and their lost focus on reliability. Beware.

Bad Engine
By Tracy

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was having some issues regarding quality - replaced ECU and water pump and for the last 25,000 miles I've had an oil issue and was told last week that I need a new engine. A new engine with less that 100,000 miles. Don't buy a Toyota.

NO GOOD BUILD QUALITY
By DSANCHEZ

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My first SUV, good fuel economy, good comfort & easy to drive. But in my opinion no good build quality, the brakes have been replaced twice, the first time was in Dec. 2007. The dampers has been replaced once. Noise in the back started six months ago, finally the last month Toyota Shop found the cause of the noise: one large screw of the left damper support is damaged!!!

Fuel Economy & Easy to drive

Improve the manufacturing quality, make it stronger

Loved our Rav
By Warren

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our Rav was one of the best cars we've owned and we were so impressed on Toyota that when we needed a larger vehicle we bought a Sienna. The interior was so cool and everything was well placed and plenty of compartments to put stuff. Great car!

The interior, looks, reliability, Ipod connector, gas mileage was good, etc.

2wd Rav does not handle well in the snow, paint quality on the metal wheel rims was peeling and rusting and an intermittent radio problem when it's hot out.

Expected a little more!
By cayugajim

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'll begin by saying that my RAV4 was purchased to replace a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. So for comparison purposes, the RAV is a far superior vehicle. However, the 4 cyl in my base model is underpowered and hesitates when cold. According to the dealer, this is normal and part of the vehicle's computer program to maximize efficiency. Fuel economy is also a bit disappointing. With a ratio of 70/30 city/hwy driving, I've never exceeded 22 mpg (usually around 20). On the plus side, the all wheel drive is great and the vehicle is very reliable. It's also quite roomy and easy to drive. The hard plastic spare tire cover looks great, but is a bear to put back on!

Reliability, comfort, looks, rear seat fold-down latch. This vehicle is also great in the snow!

4 cyl power and hesitation, fuel economy, road noise, radio is not as clear as my Corolla. The spare tire cover is difficult to replace and will destroy your knuckles. Also, the tire pressure monitor is extremely sensitive (I always find myself adding air when the outside temp changes).