2006 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Bad Engine
By Tracy on 04/20/10 06:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was having some issues regarding quality - replaced ECU and water pump and for the last 25,000 miles I've had an oil issue and was told last week that I need a new engine. A new engine with less that 100,000 miles. Don't buy a Toyota.

NO GOOD BUILD QUALITY
By DSANCHEZ on 02/10/10 19:12 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My first SUV, good fuel economy, good comfort & easy to drive. But in my opinion no good build quality, the brakes have been replaced twice, the first time was in Dec. 2007. The dampers has been replaced once. Noise in the back started six months ago, finally the last month Toyota Shop found the cause of the noise: one large screw of the left damper support is damaged!!!

Loved our Rav
By Warren on 11/29/09 06:32 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our Rav was one of the best cars we've owned and we were so impressed on Toyota that when we needed a larger vehicle we bought a Sienna. The interior was so cool and everything was well placed and plenty of compartments to put stuff. Great car!

Expected a little more!
By cayugajim on 01/29/09 14:12 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'll begin by saying that my RAV4 was purchased to replace a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. So for comparison purposes, the RAV is a far superior vehicle. However, the 4 cyl in my base model is underpowered and hesitates when cold. According to the dealer, this is normal and part of the vehicle's computer program to maximize efficiency. Fuel economy is also a bit disappointing. With a ratio of 70/30 city/hwy driving, I've never exceeded 22 mpg (usually around 20). On the plus side, the all wheel drive is great and the vehicle is very reliable. It's also quite roomy and easy to drive. The hard plastic spare tire cover looks great, but is a bear to put back on!

Best vehicle we have had.
By Donna on 01/07/09 08:03 AM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car. Gets us through the snow. Gas mileage is better than we could expect for being called a "truck". Stay with the higher rated Ethanol gas (manual states tested). We have on occasion had to fill up with the regular brands. Expensive!! Had a 1995 Altima before. It got us 100km more on ethanol. This vehicle gets us 100kms more than the Altima on a fill-up. (Both same size of tank.) Averaged 32 mpg on a trip that had freeway and city driving. Original tires were 17 inch all seasons. Very stiff ride. Felt all the bumps in the road. When needing snow tires, we called around and found out you could put on 16 inch tires. Saved us a lot of money, and, have a smoother ride.

No more Toyotas
By gina on 04/26/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

There is something very wrong with this car. The list of problems with this car is huge. It grinds, growls, shifts hard, steers hard, and every time I go in for an oil change I have to replace or repair something. I have replaced steering column, and it needs to be replaced again, I replaced battery, front brakes, rear brakes, air filter, fuel filter and all the pricey tune-ups. Replaced spark plugs, wires, and right now I am so sick of Toyota, this was a new car.

Great Outdoor/Commuter Vehicle
By Jim Meyer on 10/18/07 10:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car to replace my 15-year-old Camry. I like to go on hiking trips, and this thing has the suspension and the room to get me where I want to go. It's also a great commuter car, handles well in traffic, takes potholes with aplomb. No significant problems, great mileage for an SUV. Being tall, I enjoy not having to duck my head when getting in and out. I have driven this car over deeply-rutted, sandy and rocky dirt roads with ease, and have slept in the back during a 3-week camping trip. I was thinking about a pickup truck, but now I really don't think I need one - this car has gotten me to all the trailheads I have wanted to get to. After 27,000 miles I couldn't be more pleased.

Oh, what a feeling!
By Gwen on 08/18/07 11:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Had my Rav (4 cyl) for over a year and love everything about it. Bought the base model with extras like all the airbags. Didn't get fancy wheels, but washing the covers is lots easier.It's never been on a trip so I have only gotten about 25 mpg average. Got some bad fuel once and had some acceleration problems, but it wasn't the car's fault. Lots of backseat leg room, very comfortable for passengers. Also like the fact that the front passenger airbag will not come on if the front passenger is too light. Love parking it too, it fits nearly anywhere, even it the large SUV beside you goes over the line, you've still got room.

Not a bad miniSUV
By RJ on 07/30/07 11:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Despite what people seem to think, the 4-cyl engine is more than adequate around town, and if you put on a set of dedicated snow tires, you won't need AWD (especially with Toyota's traction control). Mileage is in the mid to low 20s in mostly stop and go traffic with the AC going. (One minor gripe is the first 3 fan settings on the AC are fairly weak and while the 4th is decent, it sounds like a jet engine.) Tons of leg room in every seat and the rears recline as well. Plenty of storage room, both in the cubbies and in the "trunk". The rear door can be a bit heavy and hard to open for curb-parking, but the detent holds it well, even on hills.

Joyce and Jim's Rav 4
By Joyce & Jim on 07/24/07 14:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We were recently in a serious accident on a local freeway in southern California in our RAV4. The car is totaled. We were struck, tipped over and slid across 2 lanes. Because of the safety features of this car we walked away with a few bumps and bruises. We strongly recommend this car and are in the process of buying a new 2007 model.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.