Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Brake problem
By RICE

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought rav4 2005 from maplewood brach and it has a sever problem of brake during snow and cold weather. It slides on very little snow. Even if you are driving low and try to stop it skids. It doesn't stop immediately as you step on the break. It keeps going with a sound gggggg struggling to stop. So my wife is not happy to drive during snow time.

During the dry weather it is excellent.

It is very scary and unsafe to drive during snow time. Even if it is very light (1/2 inch) snow, the brake doesn't properly stop the car.

Break Failure
By Rear Break Money Pit

2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife bought the 2005 Rav4 4 years ago, and has had to replace the rear breaks 3 times, going on four now. Everything else about the car she loves, but the constant issue with the rear breaks is causing us to sell. In their infinite wisdom, Toyota cheaped out on the rear breaks making them disk breaks, not drum breaks which they should be. We live in northern Vermont, 3 mile up a gravel road and my wife has to drive over a mountain pass everyday driving to work. Needless to say, we need working breaks, and the Rav4 has not provided it. The dealership has worked with us a little bit, but we still have speny about $2000 over the past 4 years on breaks alone. Very disappointed Rav4 owners!

Love everything but the REAR BREAKS!!

FIX THE REAR BREAKS!!

"Almost" Perfect....
By Tuttman

2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Not very comfortable for driver on long drives. Vehicle is listed at 21mpg city and 28mpg highway. After the first year my mpg went down to 18 city and 25 highway. I can barely get 280 miles from a tank of gas in the city. Dealership says nothing wrong. (dealerships are all rip-offs) Exhaust has a rattle at low rpm's. Other than that, I love this car. After 3.5 years and 37000 miles, it has needed NO repairs other than scheduled maintenance. The most reliable car I've ever owned.

Handles like a sports car, ULTRA reliable, looks great.

Better gas mileage, lower drivers seat for more comfort.

4 yr. review
By harshad

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rav4 in Feb 2005. its my commuter car. It's trouble free so far after 45000 miles. Manual tranny is great. I still get 25 mpg in Minnesota winters and around 28 MPG in summer. I take a seat out in summer and can put 2 road bikes easy. This vehicle has to be top 5 reliable fun to drive on consumer reports.

Just plain efficient and reliable.

None. Toyota actually messed up the little spunky character by making it big and stopped manual tranny.

Fun to Drive
By Theresa Dahlstrom

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'd never heard of a RAV4 until my son showed me a photo the night before we went car shopping. It was love at first sight! We drove several small SUVs, but the RAV4 was by far the most fun to drive. It is zippy and handles great. I've enjoyed 65000 trouble-free miles. The ride is quite firm, but makes the driver feel like one with the road.

Fun to drive; great looking.

Rear passengers need a smoother ride; better gas mileage; larger tank.