Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

"Almost" Perfect....
By Tuttman

2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Not very comfortable for driver on long drives. Vehicle is listed at 21mpg city and 28mpg highway. After the first year my mpg went down to 18 city and 25 highway. I can barely get 280 miles from a tank of gas in the city. Dealership says nothing wrong. (dealerships are all rip-offs) Exhaust has a rattle at low rpm's. Other than that, I love this car. After 3.5 years and 37000 miles, it has needed NO repairs other than scheduled maintenance. The most reliable car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Handles like a sports car, ULTRA reliable, looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, lower drivers seat for more comfort.

4 yr. review
By harshad

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rav4 in Feb 2005. its my commuter car. It's trouble free so far after 45000 miles. Manual tranny is great. I still get 25 mpg in Minnesota winters and around 28 MPG in summer. I take a seat out in summer and can put 2 road bikes easy. This vehicle has to be top 5 reliable fun to drive on consumer reports.

Favorite Features

Just plain efficient and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

None. Toyota actually messed up the little spunky character by making it big and stopped manual tranny.

Fun to Drive
By Theresa Dahlstrom

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'd never heard of a RAV4 until my son showed me a photo the night before we went car shopping. It was love at first sight! We drove several small SUVs, but the RAV4 was by far the most fun to drive. It is zippy and handles great. I've enjoyed 65000 trouble-free miles. The ride is quite firm, but makes the driver feel like one with the road.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive; great looking.

Suggested Improvements

Rear passengers need a smoother ride; better gas mileage; larger tank.

Good car until it rolled
By Anne

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this little SUV, it had over 40,000 trouble-free miles. Never thought it would "roll" easily. My daughter - good driver - in her 20s, no previous accidents - was going about 20 mph and hit the back of a black parked car on a very dark street. The Rav basically tipped over - it ended up on its side almost even w/the car it hit. Paramedics and police at the scene said, yes, SUVs do that. I've heard of larger SUVs rolling but I thought you'd have to be traveling much faster. No airbags went off because she wasn't going fast enough. Thank goodness only minor injuries. Be careful in any SUV, even the great little RAV. Hopefully this was a fluke of an accident.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, nice steering, reliable, versatile.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg. And the rollover problem.

3 yr. review on 05 Rav4
By harshad

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just had third birthday for my 05 Rav4. With new Michelin LTX tires this car drives well in Minnesota. So far no issues. I am still getting 26 to 27 MPG in mixed driving. I have got 34000 trouble free miles. I like this body style than the new one. It's much slicker and compact.

Favorite Features

Styling, gas mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

None.