Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

One of the Best Cars I've Ever Owned
By David Chase

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new and except for routine maintenance have never had a problem. My daughter was taking the car to college so I called a local Mechanic to see have the car checked out - I was concerned that the car had a serpentine belt that might need to be replaced. They informed me that the engine had a timing chain (lasts longer) and that the car wasn't scheduled for its first tune up until 120,000 miles! I purchased this car at the same time I bought a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser - I made sure to purchase Toyotas that were made in Japan, not the U.S. (both were). I have had zero problems with both cars.

Roomy interior, great gas mileage, reliability

Upgrade the sound system, work on dampening road noise, smooth out ride

Replace water pump!
By Rav4 Owner

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Rav4 brand new in 2004 which is a 2005. Have had no major problems with it except for replacing the water pumps constantly! They are made very cheap, and its not cheap to replace either. And rear breaks are for sure bad as well like previous reviews have stated. Also, when it rains the car does not stay put on the road.

rav4 at 85,000 miles
By Corey

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Rav4 since 2006 and did not have to many issues at the time. At about 75,000 miles the alternator went out and is the biggest pain to get fixed due to the connector being a special piece from the rest. Since I got the car in 2006 it had a knocking noise in the engine that no one can seem to figure out. The gas has a severe hesitation and should probably be on a recall. It takes about 2-3 seconds from the time you step on the gas till the car preforms. Once it kicks in, it jerks very badly. Very easy to drive, almost like a go kart.

More room! More comfortable seats, Hesitation fixed.

Brake problem
By RICE

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought rav4 2005 from maplewood brach and it has a sever problem of brake during snow and cold weather. It slides on very little snow. Even if you are driving low and try to stop it skids. It doesn't stop immediately as you step on the break. It keeps going with a sound gggggg struggling to stop. So my wife is not happy to drive during snow time.

During the dry weather it is excellent.

It is very scary and unsafe to drive during snow time. Even if it is very light (1/2 inch) snow, the brake doesn't properly stop the car.

Break Failure
By Rear Break Money Pit

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife bought the 2005 Rav4 4 years ago, and has had to replace the rear breaks 3 times, going on four now. Everything else about the car she loves, but the constant issue with the rear breaks is causing us to sell. In their infinite wisdom, Toyota cheaped out on the rear breaks making them disk breaks, not drum breaks which they should be. We live in northern Vermont, 3 mile up a gravel road and my wife has to drive over a mountain pass everyday driving to work. Needless to say, we need working breaks, and the Rav4 has not provided it. The dealership has worked with us a little bit, but we still have speny about $2000 over the past 4 years on breaks alone. Very disappointed Rav4 owners!

Love everything but the REAR BREAKS!!

FIX THE REAR BREAKS!!