Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
"Almost" Perfect....
By Tuttman on 03/26/09 16:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Not very comfortable for driver on long drives. Vehicle is listed at 21mpg city and 28mpg highway. After the first year my mpg went down to 18 city and 25 highway. I can barely get 280 miles from a tank of gas in the city. Dealership says nothing wrong. (dealerships are all rip-offs) Exhaust has a rattle at low rpm's. Other than that, I love this car. After 3.5 years and 37000 miles, it has needed NO repairs other than scheduled maintenance. The most reliable car I've ever owned.

4 yr. review
By harshad on 02/20/09 12:21 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rav4 in Feb 2005. its my commuter car. It's trouble free so far after 45000 miles. Manual tranny is great. I still get 25 mpg in Minnesota winters and around 28 MPG in summer. I take a seat out in summer and can put 2 road bikes easy. This vehicle has to be top 5 reliable fun to drive on consumer reports.

Fun to Drive
By Theresa Dahlstrom on 08/03/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'd never heard of a RAV4 until my son showed me a photo the night before we went car shopping. It was love at first sight! We drove several small SUVs, but the RAV4 was by far the most fun to drive. It is zippy and handles great. I've enjoyed 65000 trouble-free miles. The ride is quite firm, but makes the driver feel like one with the road.

Good car until it rolled
By Anne on 05/04/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this little SUV, it had over 40,000 trouble-free miles. Never thought it would "roll" easily. My daughter - good driver - in her 20s, no previous accidents - was going about 20 mph and hit the back of a black parked car on a very dark street. The Rav basically tipped over - it ended up on its side almost even w/the car it hit. Paramedics and police at the scene said, yes, SUVs do that. I've heard of larger SUVs rolling but I thought you'd have to be traveling much faster. No airbags went off because she wasn't going fast enough. Thank goodness only minor injuries. Be careful in any SUV, even the great little RAV. Hopefully this was a fluke of an accident.

3 yr. review on 05 Rav4
By harshad on 03/18/08 10:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just had third birthday for my 05 Rav4. With new Michelin LTX tires this car drives well in Minnesota. So far no issues. I am still getting 26 to 27 MPG in mixed driving. I have got 34000 trouble free miles. I like this body style than the new one. It's much slicker and compact.

My Dream Car
By Denise Guldin on 01/11/08 14:57 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my RAV4. This car is great to drive and I love its safety rating. I find it to be very roomy and I am able to haul large items easily with the seats folded down. I like the gas mileage I get when I fill up also. It is easy to park, easy to handle and has get up and go when I need to accelerate. I am glad I got the 2005 RAV because I like the style and lines of the car compared to the 2006 model which is little bigger. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Awesome Ride
By Michael Daytona on 07/03/07 09:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just got this used with 6,612 miles on it. It has the security alarm and L package along with roofrack and moonroof. I love its handling and how easy it is to drive and park, though it looks much bigger than it actually is. I would highly recommend looking at one of these SUVs. The RAV4 is awesome with storage and room as well. The seats can recline, move back or forward or be taken out completely in the rear.

We RAV Toyota
By Faithfully Yours on 04/12/07 13:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I drove no car but Toyotas in last 30 years. RAV4 AWD is another great hit. Traction is so good that we no longer shovel snow on the drive way. Acceleration is remarkable given the size of the engine. Antilock brake is so effective on all road conditions, shine or rain.

Disturbing chirping noise
By rwallace7 on 04/10/07 10:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

All that I can say is that I love the performance of my 2005 RAV4 except for the disturbing "chirping" noise that consistently occurs when going over mild bumps in the road. It is very annoying and the dealership cannot resolve the problem after making 5 service appointments. The noise seems to be coming from where the lower part of the windshield meets the cal panel. I'm not sure I spelled that correctly. Anyway, this problem ruins the entire fun of driving this vehicle. Sorry, I can't recommend a RAV4 to anyone. ... disappointed buyer.

Love that RAV!
By Greg on 04/09/07 11:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 30000 trouble free miles on my RAV4. I had a leaking shock at 24k miles, and they not only replaced the broken one, they replaced the one on the other side so that the vehicle would have the same ride on both sides. Excellent vehicle.