Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

2005 Toyota Rav4
By Frank

2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Never did I think I would buy foreign, but at the eight thousand mile mark, I am still happy with the purchase of the Rav 4. Gas mileage is great. Averaging 28 miles around town. Ride is good. After owning Chevrolet's for two decades, there is definately a different feel. I am pleased all around with Toyota.

Gas mileage. Ride is smooth. Engine has enough pep to keep it fun.

Comfort. Seats are too small.

Fun, Safe Little SUV
By Bob Alkov

2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 2005 Toyota automatic 4 dr AWD RAV- 4 is a fun, safe little SUV. It replaced a 1996 Toyota RAV-4 with manual that we drove to 90000 miles. We need it in the winter as we live on the side of a mountain at the 7000 ft level that gets lots of snow in winter. It has a lot of safety features such as side air bags for driver and all passengers, side impact door beams, stability control with traction control and antilock brakes with brake assist and EBD. Also gets 25 mp gallon.

We like the CD player, tonneau cover and darkened windows for privacy. The spare tire cover is attractive as are the alloy wheels with wheel locks.

The FM radio reception is poor. That could be improved. The rear seat leg room is a little cramped. There really is no rear bumper, the spare tire cover would take all rear impacts.

Bought three years ago and still love it
By Marcia Gruver

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best car I've ever owned, and I'm a 50-year-old woman, so I've been around the car block. It's compact enough that it gives decent gas mileage and being an SUV, it puts me on the same level as the rest of the world. (In fact, I'm a bit miffed they're planning to make the 2007 models bigger -- if you want bigger, move on up to a Highlander or a Sequoia. Leave the Rav 4 alone!)

I love the screws on the dashboard.

I do have a quibble: Putting the battery under a plastic shield that you have to open with quarters was an extremely dumb design decision, esp. since I think you've geared this vehicle toward woman. Imagine having to jump your car in the middle of the night and you can't get into that blasted shield!

2-RAV Family
By 2 RAVs

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my first RAV4 I purchased in March of 1998 and hated the thought of ever trading it in. When a van we had finally died, we replaced it with a 2005 RAV4- I hated looking at anything else because the RAV has been so dependable, it seemed silly to consider a different car. We thought about a different Toyota, but the size of the RAV is perfect for city driving and so comfortable on the open road. We have three growing kids between the ages of 7 and 14 and while the older RAV had a smaller back seat- the newer one has plenty of room for all three kids- and no complaining! I love the added get up and go in the 05. It's a great car I'd buy again.. maybe we'll go for three!

Comfortable seats, shoulder strap that easily adjusts where it is attached to the car, easy mobility of the back seats to increase hauling space, lots of storage boxes in front and back, removable rug in the back, lots of cup holders, great sound system with speakers everywhere!

Would like the DVD option, seat warmer option, more of a tint on the windows in the front.

Excellent vehicle
By Christine

2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have been pleased with my Rav4 since buying it in May. The gas mileage is very reasonable and I am certian that having a 4WD vehicle will come in handy for New York winters.

I like everything about it!

I wish they wouldn't redesign the Rav4, I must say I was disappointed in the preview on edmunds mentioning a third row of seats being added. Why change a great vehicle? If someone needs that many seats they should buy a minivan or other model. I would like a hybrid version though.