Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Best Small SUV
By Allie

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Toyota, and my second RAV-4 - I previously had a 2003 2WD model and decided to upgrade to the 2005 4WD "L" model. I couldn't be happier! The engine was improved in 2004 providing more horsepower which completely removed the "gut-less" reputation the RAV-4 had. This vehicle has plenty of get-up-and go for a 4- cyl. SUV! Stylish and fun to drive, while achieving high safety and reliability ratings. The standardization of anti-lock breaks and the additional air bags make the "L" model a top choice!

The overall-look and styling of the vehicle itself - very sleek and sporty. Interior controls are all easily accessible and user-freindly. Imporved horsepower, additional stability control and safety features a plus. High reliability and resale value another reason to seriously consider Toyota.

Window tinting is a great feature, but would be nice if the front driver/passenger windows were a closer match in tinting to the rear windows. I had front windows of my solid-black (color-keyed) RAV custom tinted. Looks sharp, keeps down glare and keeps vehicle cooler.

In the top percentile for sure
By deeman

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

One really can not complain about Toyota performance and value. It's a tough market out there today with all the mini-utes and I don't anything will be disappointed with owning a Rav4. The driving experience is excellent. The manual transmission is definitely the way to go for fun driving and acceleration. The AWD system is the best in class.

Engine, Acceleration, Handling, Build Quality, Driving Fun Factor, Gas Mileage, Much better looking than CRV's, resale value, low cost of ownership, nice roof racks, dealer and service professionalism, functional interior ergonomics. Better performance and price value than all American mini SUV's.

Toyota has fallen behind with the rear design internally and externally. They must emulate the Nissan X-Trail and Kia Sportage with the fold down seats, Rear Door that opens UP with a window that also opens. The Toyota, Honda, and Jeep rear door with the wheel has got to go. Steel wheels must go als

My RAV 4
By Pat McGuiter

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This truck is great. I had to rate this SUV a "10" in every category. I traded my 4 runner in for this car and I am so happy with it. Especially now that fuel costs are through the roof, it's great on the highway. Best car I ever owned.

The pickup on this 4 cylinder is unbelievable. Seating is very comfortable. Easy to handle, even on the sharpest turns. The cargo area is big for a smaller SUV truck.

I have only one complaint on the Toyota's... you need to have an active outlet so you can leave your cell phone charged when the car shuts off.

Best of All Worlds
By Greg

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great Zippy Vehicle...It is so fun to drive. I have the Evergreen Metallic that looks so sharp and the sunroof that comes in handy for ventilation. The RAV meets all of my expectations, and I have only 5500 miles on it, so my fuel economy should increase soon. It averages about 24 mpg now, and I read other reviews that rate it slightly higher. All of the features seem to be well thought out, and I also have the side curtain air bags that adds to my confidence in case of an accident.

Spare wheel that is the same as all the rest. It seems to be a rare occurence in all my previous vehicles. Nice aluminum wheels make the RAV look real sharp.

Make a hybrid like the Honda Accord that has lots of power, but utilizes the batteries to improve fuel economy.

Almost Perfect
By TGIX

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am crazy about my Rav4! In well over a million miles of driving over the past 30 yrs, & that includes a lot of varied vehicle types, the Rav4 is my absolute favorite. Design is tops (I get stopped/asked about it an avg. of once every few weeks, twice in the past 4 days). Love it's exceptionally high safety ratings. No car I've driven before gets ABOVE the rated miles per gallon as this one does! I average 30 mpg or better of city and highway combined! Got 33 mpg going up and down steep mountain roads with two kayaks on top! Never get less than 27 mpg!

Form & Function. Gorgeous vehicle with performance too. Steering, Accel, & Braking - all superb. Great overall space use. Rear seat removal not hard. Many stowage compartments, many tough, tie downs. High clearance for snow. ABS, Traction Control, Cruise, Pwr windows, INCLUDED on base model!

I praise the car a lot and am a tough critic. The ONLY two improvements that I'd like to see are a tougher plastic?/vinyl? interior and exterior trim. Both stratch entirely too easy, like butter compared to others. At 6' tall, I need a tad more leg room driving. The rear seats could also use more