Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Bestest Little SUV Ever
By jerseyan

2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After trading in a 2001 Rav4 we purchased a new 2005. It has been a pleasure to own, and wish Toyota still made this style. We like the size, it has plenty of zip, not bad on gas, easy to park, and great in the snow with the AWD. I do most of my own work and changed the wires and plugs at the 100,000 mile mark. The only maintenance was a new battery, front brakes, tires, new rear shocks, and runs like the day it left the dealers lot. It also helps that it is garage kept.

At the time we purchased it all the features were standard and state of the art. Driving lights, bright headlights, low maintenance other than routine repairs, the interior has held up well. Great for grocery shopping, the nursery, the folding rear seats have proven to give us more than ample storage for what we use it for. The only drawback is on longer trips the seat is a little hard to me. But me wife is very happy with it. I have a Tacoma, but she always wants to take the Rav4, on the weekends she does all the driving. The both of us aren't that fond of the newer models since they changed the size. So I hope this will keep running for many more years.

It is hard to suggest on improvements on a vehicle this old. My wife uses this as her daily driver and brought it in for an oil change, the Tech couldn't believe the shape it was in. We are hoping to get another 150,000, she won't let it go and could care less about another new car. The only thing I would add would be an aftermarket Bluetooth. But again, it is the wife's car and she doesn't want it. She doesn't use the phone while driving, so I guess it is a good thing.

Tough as nails, 150,000 and a front impact
By dcayres

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has 150,000 miles on her. Last October I rear-ended someone and thought she was done for. I pulled the frame back out a few inches, installed a new radiator and she's back running as strong as ever. My only complaint would be the wind noise, honestly. The clutch was replaced around 15,000 miles ago, but that's been the only mechanical issue. Regular maintenance, tires, and brakes have all been reasonably inexpensive. This is the first car I have ever kept until it was paid off. In the past, I would grow tired of issues, but not this baby. I am going to drive her until the wheels fall off.

TSC, radio controls on the wheel, cargo area with wide opening door, cargo net, cargo hooks, and a cargo cover, and if you need more room, you can remove the rear seats in a snap.

I think this was addressed in the '06 model, but the rear seats aren't the roomiest, but I never sit back there, so I don't mind.

212000 and goin strong
By over200000

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've been through 3 sets of front brakes 3 sets of tires, 2 water pumps and I think thats it. Just regular maintenance keep this little guy going. Oil changes every 7-10 thousand miles, radiator fluid flushed once a year, trans fluid changed every 50,000 miles. Thats about it. Just installed new struts and shocks long over due made an amazing difference in the ride. Oh I did have to have the Air Sensor thingy replaced it wasnt cheap like 350. The sensor light kept going on the dash.

Gas mileage I'm getting 26-32 a gallon. Yes allot of hwy.

N/A

A Great, Reliable Vehicle
By tuttman

2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2005. Good power and performance. Gas mileage was as listed until year 2-3. Now averaging 22-23 MPG, but not bad for an AWD. Now after almost 7 years and 69,000 miles, it's never needed anything but normal maintenance. Extremely satisfied with my RAV4. Brakes lasted almost 60,000 miles w/auto transmission! Paint and interior still in almost like new condition. The only issue is an exhaust "growl" at low RPM's. Not a big deal. Road noise is a bit loud, but the stereo works great to cover that. I love this car and would highly recommend it.

Best Car
By Orin Beitlich

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Toyota ever and I wished I had done it sooner! I now have reached 100K miles and it runs the same as when I bought it. I have never had any major problems with it. Front brakes around 50K and regular maintenance at recommended mileage. Original Tires replaced at 36K which is better than expected. BF Goodrich now have 64K and still good tread. I have never done a wheel alignment on this vehicle. I have tracked my mileage and it was exactly the 24 MPG overall that Toyota said it would be. It is only FWD so in winter I take it easy but this has been a very reliable vehicle for us. The utility has been great and removable seats are wonderful. I am very satisfied with it.

Removable rear seats

Full Rear bumper and rear door opening direction, ie up instead of sideways.