Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

BEST SUV EVER MADE
By Linda

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Rav 4 over a year ago with over 100,000 miles on it. This vehicle is a beast!! Three months after I bought it, I had a full car load of people when a DUMP TRUCK rammed into my drivers door, HEAD ON, going about 30 mph!! I am amazed that this little SUV held up the way it did!! Other than some small cuts from broken glass, everyone was okay!! Upon having the accident, my Rav 4 was left in the body shop for over a month so that some major body work could be done to it (the damages left by the dump truck were everything BUT minor). I honestly thought that my "new" ride would never be the same again...but I was wrong. Here it is over a year later and my RAV 4 is still going just as strong as ever!! Other than the accident, I have not had to put it in the shop one time!! It is now at 140,000 miles and it continues to drive just as good, if not better, than some of the brand new cars I have seen!! I LOVE MY 2005 RAV 4 (not to mention, it hardly uses any gas) !!!!

Bestest Little SUV Ever
By jerseyan

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After trading in a 2001 Rav4 we purchased a new 2005. It has been a pleasure to own, and wish Toyota still made this style. We like the size, it has plenty of zip, not bad on gas, easy to park, and great in the snow with the AWD. I do most of my own work and changed the wires and plugs at the 100,000 mile mark. The only maintenance was a new battery, front brakes, tires, new rear shocks, and runs like the day it left the dealers lot. It also helps that it is garage kept.

At the time we purchased it all the features were standard and state of the art. Driving lights, bright headlights, low maintenance other than routine repairs, the interior has held up well. Great for grocery shopping, the nursery, the folding rear seats have proven to give us more than ample storage for what we use it for. The only drawback is on longer trips the seat is a little hard to me. But me wife is very happy with it. I have a Tacoma, but she always wants to take the Rav4, on the weekends she does all the driving. The both of us aren't that fond of the newer models since they changed the size. So I hope this will keep running for many more years.

It is hard to suggest on improvements on a vehicle this old. My wife uses this as her daily driver and brought it in for an oil change, the Tech couldn't believe the shape it was in. We are hoping to get another 150,000, she won't let it go and could care less about another new car. The only thing I would add would be an aftermarket Bluetooth. But again, it is the wife's car and she doesn't want it. She doesn't use the phone while driving, so I guess it is a good thing.

Tough as nails, 150,000 and a front impact
By dcayres

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has 150,000 miles on her. Last October I rear-ended someone and thought she was done for. I pulled the frame back out a few inches, installed a new radiator and she's back running as strong as ever. My only complaint would be the wind noise, honestly. The clutch was replaced around 15,000 miles ago, but that's been the only mechanical issue. Regular maintenance, tires, and brakes have all been reasonably inexpensive. This is the first car I have ever kept until it was paid off. In the past, I would grow tired of issues, but not this baby. I am going to drive her until the wheels fall off.

TSC, radio controls on the wheel, cargo area with wide opening door, cargo net, cargo hooks, and a cargo cover, and if you need more room, you can remove the rear seats in a snap.

I think this was addressed in the '06 model, but the rear seats aren't the roomiest, but I never sit back there, so I don't mind.

212000 and goin strong
By over200000

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've been through 3 sets of front brakes 3 sets of tires, 2 water pumps and I think thats it. Just regular maintenance keep this little guy going. Oil changes every 7-10 thousand miles, radiator fluid flushed once a year, trans fluid changed every 50,000 miles. Thats about it. Just installed new struts and shocks long over due made an amazing difference in the ride. Oh I did have to have the Air Sensor thingy replaced it wasnt cheap like 350. The sensor light kept going on the dash.

Gas mileage I'm getting 26-32 a gallon. Yes allot of hwy.

N/A

A Great, Reliable Vehicle
By tuttman

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2005. Good power and performance. Gas mileage was as listed until year 2-3. Now averaging 22-23 MPG, but not bad for an AWD. Now after almost 7 years and 69,000 miles, it's never needed anything but normal maintenance. Extremely satisfied with my RAV4. Brakes lasted almost 60,000 miles w/auto transmission! Paint and interior still in almost like new condition. The only issue is an exhaust "growl" at low RPM's. Not a big deal. Road noise is a bit loud, but the stereo works great to cover that. I love this car and would highly recommend it.

• SUV