Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Wish I had bought one sooner.
By Tricia

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Every Chevy or Ford I've owned needed constant repair. I bought this last year, used from a dealer. What a great lil suv. The only thing I've bought are tires, oil and filter. Its never left me stranded. I've never had to call my dad to come rescue me. Gas mileage is awesome. Mine is the sport with the Hood scoop. My dads getting too old to keep working on broken down vehicles. I think he loves that I've had it with no issues. Parking in tight spots is a breeze too. I've got 149,000 miles and runs like it's brand new. If I could change anything it would be the awd to 4wd .. I like to control that myself. But I'm not complaining. I've read they can go to 300,000 so I'm crossing my fingers... love this suv!

BEST SUV EVER MADE
By Linda

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Rav 4 over a year ago with over 100,000 miles on it. This vehicle is a beast!! Three months after I bought it, I had a full car load of people when a DUMP TRUCK rammed into my drivers door, HEAD ON, going about 30 mph!! I am amazed that this little SUV held up the way it did!! Other than some small cuts from broken glass, everyone was okay!! Upon having the accident, my Rav 4 was left in the body shop for over a month so that some major body work could be done to it (the damages left by the dump truck were everything BUT minor). I honestly thought that my "new" ride would never be the same again...but I was wrong. Here it is over a year later and my RAV 4 is still going just as strong as ever!! Other than the accident, I have not had to put it in the shop one time!! It is now at 140,000 miles and it continues to drive just as good, if not better, than some of the brand new cars I have seen!! I LOVE MY 2005 RAV 4 (not to mention, it hardly uses any gas) !!!!

Bestest Little SUV Ever
By jerseyan

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After trading in a 2001 Rav4 we purchased a new 2005. It has been a pleasure to own, and wish Toyota still made this style. We like the size, it has plenty of zip, not bad on gas, easy to park, and great in the snow, holds the road in the rain with the AWD. I do most of my own work and changed the wires and plugs at the 100,000 mile mark. The only maintenance was a new battery, front brakes, tires, new rear shocks, and runs like the day it left the dealers lot. It also helps that it is garage kept.

This was the top of the line when purchased, there wasn't any entertainment (other than cd/am/fm), navigation, Bluetooth, USB, climate control available when it was purchased. We don't miss it, and less chance of something going amiss. Now at 125,000 miles this is the most dependable, reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Easy to park, great highway mileage up to 29 mpg, and if it lasts to 300,000 miles my wife isn't going to part with it anytime soon.

Back seat is roomy enough and with them flat or taken out if needed, it offers plenty of room for cargo.

Tough as nails, 150,000 and a front impact
By dcayres

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has 150,000 miles on her. Last October I rear-ended someone and thought she was done for. I pulled the frame back out a few inches, installed a new radiator and she's back running as strong as ever. My only complaint would be the wind noise, honestly.
The clutch was replaced around 15,000 miles ago, but that's been the only mechanical issue. Regular maintenance, tires, and brakes have all been reasonably inexpensive.
This is the first car I have ever kept until it was paid off. In the past, I would grow tired of issues, but not this baby. I am going to drive her until the wheels fall off.

TSC, radio controls on the wheel, cargo area with wide opening door, cargo net, cargo hooks, and a cargo cover, and if you need more room, you can remove the rear seats in a snap.

I think this was addressed in the '06 model, but the rear seats aren't the roomiest, but I never sit back there, so I don't mind.

212000 and goin strong
By over200000

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've been through 3 sets of front brakes 3 sets of tires, 2 water pumps and I think thats it. Just regular maintenance keep this little guy going. Oil changes every 7-10 thousand miles, radiator fluid flushed once a year, trans fluid changed every 50,000 miles. Thats about it. Just installed new struts and shocks long over due made an amazing difference in the ride. Oh I did have to have the Air Sensor thingy replaced it wasnt cheap like 350. The sensor light kept going on the dash.

Gas mileage I'm getting 26-32 a gallon. Yes allot of hwy.

N/A