Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Tough as nails, 150,000 and a front impact
By dcayres

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has 150,000 miles on her. Last October I rear-ended someone and thought she was done for. I pulled the frame back out a few inches, installed a new radiator and she's back running as strong as ever. My only complaint would be the wind noise, honestly. The clutch was replaced around 15,000 miles ago, but that's been the only mechanical issue. Regular maintenance, tires, and brakes have all been reasonably inexpensive. This is the first car I have ever kept until it was paid off. In the past, I would grow tired of issues, but not this baby. I am going to drive her until the wheels fall off.

TSC, radio controls on the wheel, cargo area with wide opening door, cargo net, cargo hooks, and a cargo cover, and if you need more room, you can remove the rear seats in a snap.

I think this was addressed in the '06 model, but the rear seats aren't the roomiest, but I never sit back there, so I don't mind.

4 yr. review
By harshad

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rav4 in Feb 2005. its my commuter car. It's trouble free so far after 45000 miles. Manual tranny is great. I still get 25 mpg in Minnesota winters and around 28 MPG in summer. I take a seat out in summer and can put 2 road bikes easy. This vehicle has to be top 5 reliable fun to drive on consumer reports.

Just plain efficient and reliable.

None. Toyota actually messed up the little spunky character by making it big and stopped manual tranny.

Fun to Drive
By Theresa Dahlstrom

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'd never heard of a RAV4 until my son showed me a photo the night before we went car shopping. It was love at first sight! We drove several small SUVs, but the RAV4 was by far the most fun to drive. It is zippy and handles great. I've enjoyed 65000 trouble-free miles. The ride is quite firm, but makes the driver feel like one with the road.

Fun to drive; great looking.

Rear passengers need a smoother ride; better gas mileage; larger tank.

Good car until it rolled
By Anne

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this little SUV, it had over 40,000 trouble-free miles. Never thought it would "roll" easily. My daughter - good driver - in her 20s, no previous accidents - was going about 20 mph and hit the back of a black parked car on a very dark street. The Rav basically tipped over - it ended up on its side almost even w/the car it hit. Paramedics and police at the scene said, yes, SUVs do that. I've heard of larger SUVs rolling but I thought you'd have to be traveling much faster. No airbags went off because she wasn't going fast enough. Thank goodness only minor injuries. Be careful in any SUV, even the great little RAV. Hopefully this was a fluke of an accident.

Fun to drive, nice steering, reliable, versatile.

Better mpg. And the rollover problem.

3 yr. review on 05 Rav4
By harshad

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just had third birthday for my 05 Rav4. With new Michelin LTX tires this car drives well in Minnesota. So far no issues. I am still getting 26 to 27 MPG in mixed driving. I have got 34000 trouble free miles. I like this body style than the new one. It's much slicker and compact.

Styling, gas mileage, reliability.

None.