2005 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Tough as nails, 150,000 and a front impact
By dcayres on 08/21/12 14:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has 150,000 miles on her. Last October I rear-ended someone and thought she was done for. I pulled the frame back out a few inches, installed a new radiator and she's back running as strong as ever. My only complaint would be the wind noise, honestly. The clutch was replaced around 15,000 miles ago, but that's been the only mechanical issue. Regular maintenance, tires, and brakes have all been reasonably inexpensive. This is the first car I have ever kept until it was paid off. In the past, I would grow tired of issues, but not this baby. I am going to drive her until the wheels fall off.

4 yr. review
By harshad on 02/20/09 12:21 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rav4 in Feb 2005. its my commuter car. It's trouble free so far after 45000 miles. Manual tranny is great. I still get 25 mpg in Minnesota winters and around 28 MPG in summer. I take a seat out in summer and can put 2 road bikes easy. This vehicle has to be top 5 reliable fun to drive on consumer reports.

Fun to Drive
By Theresa Dahlstrom on 08/03/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'd never heard of a RAV4 until my son showed me a photo the night before we went car shopping. It was love at first sight! We drove several small SUVs, but the RAV4 was by far the most fun to drive. It is zippy and handles great. I've enjoyed 65000 trouble-free miles. The ride is quite firm, but makes the driver feel like one with the road.

Good car until it rolled
By Anne on 05/04/08 20:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this little SUV, it had over 40,000 trouble-free miles. Never thought it would "roll" easily. My daughter - good driver - in her 20s, no previous accidents - was going about 20 mph and hit the back of a black parked car on a very dark street. The Rav basically tipped over - it ended up on its side almost even w/the car it hit. Paramedics and police at the scene said, yes, SUVs do that. I've heard of larger SUVs rolling but I thought you'd have to be traveling much faster. No airbags went off because she wasn't going fast enough. Thank goodness only minor injuries. Be careful in any SUV, even the great little RAV. Hopefully this was a fluke of an accident.

3 yr. review on 05 Rav4
By harshad on 03/18/08 10:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just had third birthday for my 05 Rav4. With new Michelin LTX tires this car drives well in Minnesota. So far no issues. I am still getting 26 to 27 MPG in mixed driving. I have got 34000 trouble free miles. I like this body style than the new one. It's much slicker and compact.

Awesome Ride
By Michael Daytona on 07/03/07 09:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just got this used with 6,612 miles on it. It has the security alarm and L package along with roofrack and moonroof. I love its handling and how easy it is to drive and park, though it looks much bigger than it actually is. I would highly recommend looking at one of these SUVs. The RAV4 is awesome with storage and room as well. The seats can recline, move back or forward or be taken out completely in the rear.

2 yr. update on my 05 RAV4
By harshad on 01/05/07 09:37 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have my RAV4 for almost 2 yrs now. It's been wonderful so far. 5 speed is a blast to drive, mileage has been between 25 and 28 (city). No problems so far (touch wood). The stock tires are not the best in snow but TC and VSC overcomes the problem. Lots of room after removing back seats.

This is the best car I've ever owned
By Maureen on 05/18/06 14:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had my little RAV for a little over a year now and love driving her. I'm 5' tall and my hubby is 6'4" and we both can fit in this little SUV. Gas milage, I'm getting 30 -31 in town and on the freeway. This RAV 4 is a 5 speed and has the bigger 4 cyl. with plenty of power. I like how the storage is organized and love the hooks for my plastic grocery bags. The smaller size of the 2005 is for me, easy to park!! To drive this car is like driving a small sports car.

Great Little Vehicle
By C Lemons on 04/12/06 13:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was always a big SUV driver but, with gas going up almost everyday....I needed a SUV that wasn't a gas hog so, I did my homework on value and cost to own and found the Rav-4. I am so glad I did. Great little SUV, handles good, scoots in and out of traffic, cute as a button and I am getting at least 29 miles to the gallon. Way to Go Toyota.

Toyota RAV4 Evaluation
By 4-door on 02/03/06 01:01 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my Third Rav4 to lease and at no time did I ever have any trouble with any of the three vehicles. One problem I have had, since I am short, I have a blind spot on rt. hand side of rav4 and had to be very careful when moving to outside lane as I cannot see a car that is moving beside me about even with back door. I still love the rav4 and will continue to drive one as long as I drive. Avery reliable vehickle