Used 2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Most Helpful|
TASHAS RAV4
By cameron

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

So far put 8600 miles no problems to report to date, Awesome fuel economy for the type of vehicle avg 26mpg. Typical Toyota fit and finish and quality. Previous Toyota had 180000 miles without breakdowns and parts from the factory are very reasonable certainly cheaper than our Honda, also lot easier to maintain, don't have to take half the dashboard apart to change the a/c filter like our previous CR-V.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, build quality, styling, flexible interior, standard abs, traction control, stability control.

Suggested Improvements

Needs auto off headlights, outside temp gauge, higher armrest and 5 speed auto.

Love this car!
By Erin

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car for two years now and I can't imagine myself driving any other car! It's one of the safest out there, I can personally attest for its front impact safety, I'm still here and thankfully my car could be completely fixed and its as good as new! I love it, and recommend it to anyone out there! It's awesome for college too! Traveling back and forth on breaks all the time it's easy to fit all I need in this car, it's the perfect size!

Excellent vehicle
By tundyguy

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent vehicle, extreme reliability is what Toyota is known for and the 04 Rav4 does not disappoint. 109,000 miles so far and the vehicle is just as sturdy and tight as the day I brought it home with 12 miles on the odo. I changed the Fan belt at , 52,000 and the brakes at 100,000 miles and thats it , still has the factory headlight bulbs, Toyota's durability really shines through in these vehicles. Its amazing, no rattles and little noises etc. after 109.000 miles. The seats have just been broken in , feel a lot more comfy now than when they were new. The styling is all Toyota, laid back and not flashy.

Favorite Features

The Engine and transmission, the awesome JBL stereo, the removability of the seals for more cargo room, the quality of the material, quality of construction, fit and finish. The dash layout the lighting of the interior, the quality of the carpeting,the firm tight feel of the steering like a eur car

Suggested Improvements

The subsequent models have answered the problem, more room in back, a bigger quieter engine, now lets see if they will be as durable , reliable and tightly built as the 2004 model were.

Comfort, Reliable, Safe and low maint
By djay

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was researching for more than 2 months for buying a nice preowned car. My search ended with finding this gem at a good price. First priority was safety of my family and myself. Full marks to this car for the curtain airbags, anti-skid and all wheel drive. In deep-snow,icy conditions this car feel very safe and secure to drive. Highly configurable interior. the second row of seats comes off giving you a lot of hauling area. Was able to get furniture for an entire bedroom from ikea due to this and saved a lot of $$. Overall fun to drive on weekends with the family. Seats are well supported and interior is luxurious

Favorite Features

SAFETY with AWD and skid control Highly configurable and luxurious interior Looks good with the alloys, roof rack and rear spoiler.

Suggested Improvements

better, more responsive gear box for automatic.

Gen 2 Rav nicer than Gen 1 but -Quality
By Canada Rav

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have two Gen 1 2L Manual AWD Ravs. This one is nicer. More room, more storage space, more comfortable, more power, quieter, better fuel efficiency (~ 500 km @ 50l on the 2l Gen 1's and ~ 560 km @ 50l on the 2.4l Gen2). The extra 0.4L makes a big difference. I especially like the way the engine compartment is laid out. Much more room to work on the motor. My only complaint is the drive by wire accelerator pedal. I find there is no fine control at low speeds so low speed creeping, driving is not intuitive. It is certainly a step backwards to go from cable to potentiometer with respect to feel and man-machine interface. BAD: The transmission vibrates in 5th under load :(

Favorite Features

Better than Gen 1

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas by wire feel