2004 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

2004 RAV4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Sort Reviews by

I would never give up my Rav
By Roxy82

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my car, that's all there is to it, it's the best car or SUV I've ever owned.

Haven't gotten stuck in the snow!
By mwitkes

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Rav-4 for 2 months and put on 5500 miles so far. The 4-cyl is peppier with the improved 2004 engine and the 4 wheel drive has already proven itself in 2 New England smowstorms. The cargo area fits more than I expected with out having to put down the seats, but the legroom in the the front and back are tight. I used to have a loaded V-6 Accord and I don't miss it, I just wish the Rav had a optional V-6. I absloutely love it... only issues are a rattle in the dash and I had to replace a tire that was damaged and nobody had the Bridgestone tire I needed.

Favorite Features

L Package, controls on the steering wheel, cargo area with fold down seats fits lots of luggage. I don't think I could ever own a car w/o 4 wheel drive again!

Suggested Improvements

Leg room in the back is very tight, front seats could have a little more room also. Rear door heavy to open, should have it so you can open back window like other suv's without opening back door. Power drivers seat should be standard with L Package.

still Loving my Yota after 2 years
By DEZILU55

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Toyota Rav 4 is a fun, stylish SUV that is perfect for a college student or even a mother of three. The exceptional gas mileage and fun interior are it's two main selling points. I extremely recommend the "L" package that is available. Overall, I have enjoyed my Rav 4 more than I thought I would.

Favorite Features

My favorite features include: great gas mileage, fully painted exterior (i.e. no grey plastic bumpers), halogen headlights, orange illumination in the interior, leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvrment that I would have enjoyed would have been a keyless entry. I bought a top-end Rav 4 and it has everything BUT keyless entry.

Wonderful!!!
By Abbey

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It is the best car that you could ever ask for!!! It's just so great. Everything you could want in a car is in a Rav4!!!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature for this car is just how easy you can drive it!! It's like your floating on cloud 9!

Suggested Improvements

This is the best car, however, you could lower the price a little. Because they are in such high demand that it wouldn't really affect you any by lowering the price down to...lets say...16 thousand?!?! I bet you would see a lot more Rav4's if ya lowered it to that!!!

OH!! What A SUV!
By Zacdil88

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Drives like a Mercedes!The best Little SUV on the market today.Try one...you'll LOVE it!!

Favorite Features

The body has a perfect shape. Looks like a rocket. Like a puppy.. it sits pretty!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of.

Happy RAV4 Owner After Doing My Homework
By Anita Casey

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After countless weeks poring over the many conflicting reviews at the Consumer Reports, Power, Autobytel, cars.com, Edmunds, et. al. sites, I finally settled on the RAV. There was no consensus on the quality of any car I looked at--from Acura TSX/TL to Honda Accord to Lexus IS to Infiniti G35 to Nissan Murano. I obviously explored a number of possibilites but found in the end that I didn't want to spend too much money on a car, since I couldn't find one that was head and shoulders above the rest. In all of the consumer forums, car owners aired their problems with their vehicles--even the hallowed Honda Accord. Reasons I settled on the RAV4 are listed below.

Favorite Features

great looks (SUV with an attitude), just enough horsepower for me, excellent ratings by Power and Consumer Reports, AWD, inability to seat a soccer team, ample cargo space, moonroof

Suggested Improvements

satellite radio (although I had a Delphi installed with a custom bracket), rattle-free ride (although the dealer installed a kit to fix cowl rattle)

rav4 suv 2004
By robledocharles

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

fun to drive,and has enough power to get me from point a to b. with no problems. very happy with this suv.

Favorite Features

quick accelleration, and plenty of interior space for a small to medium family. body style is great if you have the L-PACKAGE.

Suggested Improvements

make back seats adjustable like front seats.

RVA 4 all wheel..
By jlhood

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I always purchas a T! After putting al least 250,000 miles on each one! My first Rav4 with all wheel drive...IT IS GREAT!!!! Love it...all little bit of it!! Haul dogs and birds and fun for around town commute as well!! Lots of room for a small SUV!! Comfy on long trips as well!

Favorite Features

leather seats are sooo nice, as well as the 6-CD player!! all just for fun!!

Suggested Improvements

Adjustment for drives seat is a bit tough/tight to use.

Good Commuter
By AlJ

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Good handling, milege, breaks. Vehicle stability control and traction control terrific for this class vehicle. Wold prefer a six, not because it does not have enough pep but because it wouldn't have to work as hard. Interior is a little tight. If room in back is paramont, you can probably make a better choice.

Favorite Features

See above

Suggested Improvements

See above.

Preferred over my Camry and Van et all
By Faith

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love my RAV 4! Easier to enter and exit than cars or trucks. Much more comfortable to sit in for long periods of driving than my Camry or van was. Can actually get out without walking like Grandpa McCoy. Handles great in country on dirt roads, mud, sand, and fields. Easy to maneuver in interstate and freeway traffic and great visibility. Parking is a cinch, even parallel, and even I can back into a parking place with it - no problemo!

Favorite Features

Compact size, seat height,adaptability for cargo, side opening tailgate - no more hitting head or bumping door above, visibility, and maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could use more insulation from road noise. Would prefer built-in radio antenna rather than outside screwed on antenna.