2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Gen 2 Rav nicer than Gen 1 but -Quality
By Canada Rav on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have two Gen 1 2L Manual AWD Ravs. This one is nicer. More room, more storage space, more comfortable, more power, quieter, better fuel efficiency (~ 500 km @ 50l on the 2l Gen 1's and ~ 560 km @ 50l on the 2.4l Gen2). The extra 0.4L makes a big difference. I especially like the way the engine compartment is laid out. Much more room to work on the motor. My only complaint is the drive by wire accelerator pedal. I find there is no fine control at low speeds so low speed creeping, driving is not intuitive. It is certainly a step backwards to go from cable to potentiometer with respect to feel and man-machine interface. BAD: The transmission vibrates in 5th under load :(

Solid Vehicle, Some Issues at 78K
By Jerry on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 2004 Rav 4 has been a very solid performer and been reliable until today. At 78,000 miles (we just learned) the steering unit is leaking, the front brakes need rotors turned and pads replaced (2nd time). Also the water pump is leaking. All told - it looks like Toyota will charge $1200 to get things fixed. These are the first issues we've had, so I can't complain too loudly. Savannah Toyota has exceptional service and sales staff - so we don't mind supporting their business.

Comfort, Reliable, Safe and low maint
By djay on 04/01/10 09:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was researching for more than 2 months for buying a nice preowned car. My search ended with finding this gem at a good price. First priority was safety of my family and myself. Full marks to this car for the curtain airbags, anti-skid and all wheel drive. In deep-snow,icy conditions this car feel very safe and secure to drive. Highly configurable interior. the second row of seats comes off giving you a lot of hauling area. Was able to get furniture for an entire bedroom from ikea due to this and saved a lot of $$. Overall fun to drive on weekends with the family. Seats are well supported and interior is luxurious

One Cute Ute!
By PhredFan on 02/04/10 18:18 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love the style! Of all the cars I've owned (7) this one is the most FUN to drive. Remote no longer opens the driver's door - a pain. The ride is surely not as smooth as my Camry, but I love this Cute Ute! I'm looking to buy one for my mom because it's a great size, has great visibility, and it's FUN.

My favorite car ever
By Kate on 09/25/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In the last ten years I've owned a Subaru Outback, a Volvo wagon, a Honda Element, and now this little Rav, and it is by FAR my favorite car ever. I love the lumbar support in the seats, the Euro-style look of the dash and the way the dash lights dim automatically when I turn the headlamps on, the way my body is situated in the seat in relation to the windscreen and moonroof, the fantastic visibility, the way it maneuvers on the road, and that it can fit my whole family and I can still park in compact spaces in the city. Mine is the automatic L series with leather interior, sea foam green and tan leather, prettier than it sounds. I would buy it again in a second.

Great car
By Runner on 03/03/09 12:37 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Fun little SUV. Handles well in all weather conditions. Perfect size car for kid to learn to drive and be safe. Small but roomy. I get 32 MPG around town.

Excellent vehicle
By tundyguy on 03/01/09 16:41 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent vehicle, extreme reliability is what Toyota is known for and the 04 Rav4 does not disappoint. 109,000 miles so far and the vehicle is just as sturdy and tight as the day I brought it home with 12 miles on the odo. I changed the Fan belt at , 52,000 and the brakes at 100,000 miles and thats it , still has the factory headlight bulbs, Toyota's durability really shines through in these vehicles. Its amazing, no rattles and little noises etc. after 109.000 miles. The seats have just been broken in , feel a lot more comfy now than when they were new. The styling is all Toyota, laid back and not flashy.

Happyowner
By Happyowner on 07/01/08 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Best and smartest vehicle I have ever owned. Very reliable, economic to drive. The size is perfect fit to park in garage and parking spaces. Has great pickup when needed on the highway.Plan on driving this vehicle for long time. Would highly recommend this to any individual or small family.

Satisfied owner
By albino52 on 04/18/07 14:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Vehicle has far exceeded our expectations. I have found this fun to drive and it has excellent cargo space and the side opening makes loading less stressful. I find the driver's seat not deep enough thus doesn't provide adequate leg support.

Buy a RAV4
By Best Vehicle Owned on 04/12/07 21:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

So far, this has been the best vehicle I've ever owned for several reasons. I got rid of a Jeep Liberty for the RAV4 and now I have confidence about easily getting at least 200,000 miles. The engine build is real quality. Nothing beats RAV4 in its class and the proof comes from owning it. Way to go Toyota!