Used 2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Gen 2 Rav nicer than Gen 1 but -Quality
By Canada Rav

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have two Gen 1 2L Manual AWD Ravs. This one is nicer. More room, more storage space, more comfortable, more power, quieter, better fuel efficiency (~ 500 km @ 50l on the 2l Gen 1's and ~ 560 km @ 50l on the 2.4l Gen2). The extra 0.4L makes a big difference. I especially like the way the engine compartment is laid out. Much more room to work on the motor. My only complaint is the drive by wire accelerator pedal. I find there is no fine control at low speeds so low speed creeping, driving is not intuitive. It is certainly a step backwards to go from cable to potentiometer with respect to feel and man-machine interface. BAD: The transmission vibrates in 5th under load :(

Better than Gen 1

Improve gas by wire feel

Solid Vehicle, Some Issues at 78K
By Jerry

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 2004 Rav 4 has been a very solid performer and been reliable until today. At 78,000 miles (we just learned) the steering unit is leaking, the front brakes need rotors turned and pads replaced (2nd time). Also the water pump is leaking. All told - it looks like Toyota will charge $1200 to get things fixed. These are the first issues we've had, so I can't complain too loudly. Savannah Toyota has exceptional service and sales staff - so we don't mind supporting their business.

The engine is very strong and the vehicle overall is super strong / stout. The style of this year is sportier than other model years.

Passenger seat is most uncomfortable and small. Front seat won't move back far enough. At 6 feet tall (with short legs) I have to move the seat full aft to drive. It now looks like the steering unit and water pump have quality issues.

Comfort, Reliable, Safe and low maint
By djay

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was researching for more than 2 months for buying a nice preowned car. My search ended with finding this gem at a good price. First priority was safety of my family and myself. Full marks to this car for the curtain airbags, anti-skid and all wheel drive. In deep-snow,icy conditions this car feel very safe and secure to drive. Highly configurable interior. the second row of seats comes off giving you a lot of hauling area. Was able to get furniture for an entire bedroom from ikea due to this and saved a lot of $$. Overall fun to drive on weekends with the family. Seats are well supported and interior is luxurious

SAFETY with AWD and skid control Highly configurable and luxurious interior Looks good with the alloys, roof rack and rear spoiler.

better, more responsive gear box for automatic.

One Cute Ute!
By PhredFan

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Love the style! Of all the cars I've owned (7) this one is the most FUN to drive. Remote no longer opens the driver's door - a pain. The ride is surely not as smooth as my Camry, but I love this Cute Ute! I'm looking to buy one for my mom because it's a great size, has great visibility, and it's FUN.

Great style and maneuverability, an easy vehicle to drive.

Bigger center console.

My favorite car ever
By Kate

2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In the last ten years I've owned a Subaru Outback, a Volvo wagon, a Honda Element, and now this little Rav, and it is by FAR my favorite car ever. I love the lumbar support in the seats, the Euro-style look of the dash and the way the dash lights dim automatically when I turn the headlamps on, the way my body is situated in the seat in relation to the windscreen and moonroof, the fantastic visibility, the way it maneuvers on the road, and that it can fit my whole family and I can still park in compact spaces in the city. Mine is the automatic L series with leather interior, sea foam green and tan leather, prettier than it sounds. I would buy it again in a second.

I notice lots of 2010 Volvos, BMW's and Audi's on the road which are slightly higher than a wagon but smaller than an SUV - my 2004 Rav4 is the same height and size, reliable, cool looking, and fuel efficient, and a fraction of the cost.