2003 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Review: Transmission Problems...don't

2003 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Transmission Problems...don't buy!
By lmarie0211 on

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Rav4 new in 2003. It now has 156,000 miles on it, and the transmission needs replaced. I discovered the problem after trying to merge into traffic with sluggish acceleration. After researching online and reading other reviews on here, these problems are due to a faulty ECM. Toyota extended the warranty to 20 years or 150,000 miles. Of course, my car is 6000 miles over the warranty. Now we're stuck with a $5000 repair. Sure, I drove my car for 156,000 miles, but Toyota built their reputation on reliability. I expected to drive this car another 50,000 miles. Don't trust Toyota. Their only concern is their bottom line, not the safety of their customer.

It used to be the reliability...no problems until yesterday.

Toyota should recall ECMs in all affected Rav4s free of charge.
By bbeek
on 02/26/13 13:30 PM (PST)

If you have a 2001-2003 RAV4 that has had a transmission problem due to a defective ECM, Toyota will pay for the entire repair. Please see this article for details. You can call the Toyota Customer Experience Center in Torrance, CA. to go over exactly what documentation is needed to get a refund. I will be getting $4300 back for my transmission and ECM repair. http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/toyota-extends-warranty-on-troubled-2- 001-3-rav4/

By bbeek
on 02/26/13 13:31 PM (PST)

From above - This includes repairs that were already done at a non-Toyota repair facility.