Used 2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great 'small' SUV
By Juli

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car as a birthday present from my parents. I am very happy with it most of the time, but there are a few annoying things. My car vibrates constantly, especially in the morning when I am stopped. The gas mileage is a little rough and I have to fill up my tank often. The engine is also very small; not too much power. The back set has minimal leg room. On the up side, the car is easy to drive and I love how roomy it is in the front (I don't feel claustrophobic when I drive). I also love the stereo system and how easy it is to park my car. It it nice that the car is comfortable because I do a lot of driving.

Favorite Features

Set up of entire front of car; 'sporty' look; and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine and gas tank, as well as more room in the back seat. Stop the vibrating windows or whatever it is.

after 20K
By fraczekp

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very nice design inside and outside. The engine is a joke but one can get used to it. The AWD is useless - the car is more uncontrollable than FWD and it is very poor on gas mileage (average 19mpg!). Consolation prize - the value seems to be holding well compared to other cars.

Favorite Features

Practical to drive and park in a big city, roomier than what meets the eye. Awesome feature of adjusting the rear seat back support.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine (2004 got that though!), better gas mileage, part time 4WD.

This Is My Car
By Jenn9919

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far my RAV4 has been extremely pleasant to drive, easy to maneuver, and very reliable. I purchased this as my "dream car"-the one I always wanted, and I have not been disappointed, as we often are when we buy something we thought would be better than it is. The easily removable rear seats have made it perfect for taking my dogs camping, and I always have plenty of room for anything I need. I have moved my entire apartment (including all normal furniture, such as bed and sofa) twice in this "little" car. I'm exceptionally pleased with it.

Favorite Features

Adjustable cup holders, automatic driver's window up/down, grocery bag hooks

Suggested Improvements

I would have enjoyed a sunroof and wish I had shopped for a RAV4 with one before I purchased. The vehicle itself leaves little room for improvement in my mind. It is exactly what it claims to be.

It's a fun car
By webernoot

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've always wanted an SUV and I hit a homerun with this one. For a single person, it's the perfect size, its cute, sporty,comfortable, and so much fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Stereo System, Power package, gas mileage.

Great Little SUV
By Superwoman

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this little SUV! A little slow at first, but once you reach top speed, it flies! Very quiet inside when windows closed. Very stable in high winds and bad weather. Stock Air and stereo/cd package quite good.

Favorite Features

Second row seats easy to remove. Three outlets for accessories. Easy to get out of tight parking spots. Cup holders adjustable to any size container.

Suggested Improvements

For such a small vehicle, you'd think the mpg would be a LOT better. Gas tank too small.