Used 2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

I love my car
By Ravfan4life

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had any problems with my lovely RAV since I drove it off the floor. I can use it to haul anything and it is comfortable and super fun to drive. It is a little light on the ice, but it handles Minnesota winters like a trooper.

I love the turbo engine and how easy it is to load with the cool cargo door.

I wish the back seats folded into the floor - my dogs tend to tear up the backs. I also wish the paint did not chip so easily. The front part of the hood has a lot of dings from gravel on the road. The new model has fixed a lot of the issues and I can't wait to buy a new one!

Fun, Reliable, Well Built
By Gabe

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had almost no problems with my 3 year old RAV 4 after 3 years and more than 60.000 miles. Had a slight rattle on the glove compartment when almost new, easily fixed by a great Toyota dealer service. Mechanically, no problems whatsoever. Also no problems with body or interior components. Only complaint is interior sound insulation which is not "Wrangler- terrible" but could certainly be improved. Some improvement after getting new Michelin highway tires. The engine has good power delivery and reserve for typical use. Highway behavior is excellent and handles more like a sedan. However do not expect the acceleration and torque that comes with much bigger but less fuel effic SUVs

Exterior and interior design, qulity of materials and details for this price range. Handling manners: SUV visibility, cargo space and AWD capabilities (although not for off-road use) with automobile-handling qualities

Better cabin road and engine sound insulation.

Now We Have Two RAVs
By George

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife already has a '03 RAV already that we both enjoy. When the opportunity presented itself to purchase a second we jumped at the chance. These RAVs are the greatest. With a herniated disc, getting in and out of the car is easy. Has loads of get up and go and I love how you sit up high enough to see everything.

It's peppy, easy to handle and just a joy to drive.

A glove box that is a little larger

sporty and fun
By ChiSox fan

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We just traded in our "old man" Malibu for the Rav4 with sport package. It's very stylish and the ride is surprisingly smooth for an SUV. We needed a car that could transport our full-size cornholio (beanbag)game to tailgates outside the ballpark. The Rav didn't come with security/keyless entry, so we went to Bestbuy and had them install the complete keyless entry/security/remote start system which will be nice to have during the Chicago winters. The gas mileage is about the same as we had with the 6 cyl. Malibu. I love this SUV and look forward to many years of driving bliss!

The sunroof, styling, color scheme of gray and silver (very White Sox-ish) and roominess. Also it's easy to climb in and out of.

I wish the rear door opened from the right instead of the left. Lower spare wheel--it interferes slightly with the rear view. A lighted vanity mirror on the passenger side would be nice too.

Good, but could use some improvements
By Eric

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car, and she is enjoying it very much, as its been a good car for us. Has a nice ride,very comfortable, does well in the poor weather, and handles great for an SUV. I find the power to be quite adequate(and I Trans Am fairly often!) for most conditions, the only time it is lacking is on steep inclines when the transmission hunts for gears. The negatives are that there is alot of wind, road, and driveline noise that enters the cabin at highway speeds. Also the car has already developed 2 rattles in just over 2 years of ownership - not what I expected from Toyota. Gas mileage is underwhelming for a small car with a small engine, 25mpg is par for highway drives at 65-70.

37,000 miles and not one problem to be spoken of.

More sound insulation for the cabin, transmission could be smoother. Dealership experience was less than stellar.