Used 2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Now We Have Two RAVs
By George

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife already has a '03 RAV already that we both enjoy. When the opportunity presented itself to purchase a second we jumped at the chance. These RAVs are the greatest. With a herniated disc, getting in and out of the car is easy. Has loads of get up and go and I love how you sit up high enough to see everything.

Favorite Features

It's peppy, easy to handle and just a joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A glove box that is a little larger

sporty and fun
By ChiSox fan

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We just traded in our "old man" Malibu for the Rav4 with sport package. It's very stylish and the ride is surprisingly smooth for an SUV. We needed a car that could transport our full-size cornholio (beanbag)game to tailgates outside the ballpark. The Rav didn't come with security/keyless entry, so we went to Bestbuy and had them install the complete keyless entry/security/remote start system which will be nice to have during the Chicago winters. The gas mileage is about the same as we had with the 6 cyl. Malibu. I love this SUV and look forward to many years of driving bliss!

Favorite Features

The sunroof, styling, color scheme of gray and silver (very White Sox-ish) and roominess. Also it's easy to climb in and out of.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the rear door opened from the right instead of the left. Lower spare wheel--it interferes slightly with the rear view. A lighted vanity mirror on the passenger side would be nice too.

Good, but could use some improvements
By Eric

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car, and she is enjoying it very much, as its been a good car for us. Has a nice ride,very comfortable, does well in the poor weather, and handles great for an SUV. I find the power to be quite adequate(and I Trans Am fairly often!) for most conditions, the only time it is lacking is on steep inclines when the transmission hunts for gears. The negatives are that there is alot of wind, road, and driveline noise that enters the cabin at highway speeds. Also the car has already developed 2 rattles in just over 2 years of ownership - not what I expected from Toyota. Gas mileage is underwhelming for a small car with a small engine, 25mpg is par for highway drives at 65-70.

Favorite Features

37,000 miles and not one problem to be spoken of.

Suggested Improvements

More sound insulation for the cabin, transmission could be smoother. Dealership experience was less than stellar.

REAR DOOR OUCH!!!
By Todd

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife overall it is a Toyota (excellent vehicles) however I have been very concerned about the rear door. I have small children and that door is an accident waiting to happen every parent should watch out. What is with the weight of that door? It is a mousetrap and I am concerned that children can be seriously hurt or injured by this poor design. I would keep the car if Toyota could come up with a fix but Iím fearful that children have already been hurt by it. Watch it especially if you live in hilly terrain as we do!!

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the back door. I don't need that huge wheel on the back. Or make it like my 4 Runner.

Best Yet
By Big Pebble

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With a new house I wanted a pre-runner so I could haul things for projects, but it wouldn't fit in my garage so I went with the RAV4 and I've never regretted it. Yeah I can't haul 4x8 sheets of plywood around, but just about everything else. It's been a lot of fun to drive on vacation and business trips (especially with XM on board). From the moment I bought this I knew it was the right vehicle for me. And with gas prices soaring, it's 29 MPG is smart.

Favorite Features

Attracive looks

Suggested Improvements

Flatten the front floorboard to make it more comfortable on long dirve in cruise mode. Make the steering wheel adjustable in length. This would help those with long legs move back a little and still reach the wheel.