2003 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
OK, just OK
By Russ on 10/30/06 08:20 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car and she loves it except for poor mileage (17mpg in town) and the noise. Good tires would help the noise and ride. Traction is excellent. Seats are good in front and marginal in back. The swing out tailgate with attached spare tire is awkward

Dependable RAV4
By FRAN on 08/28/06 10:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very dependable and comfortable vehicle. Gas consumption is minimal compared to previous vehicles.

Great Car!
By Commuter Girl on 08/01/06 08:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased Nov 2003, I commute 160 miles RT four days a week. This car jams! Does 70-80 mph in carpool lane with no shakes. Tended to be really noisy inside until I got high quality tires. Gas mileage really disappointing for such a small car but handles like a dream, has plenty of power to pass vehicles on daily mountain pass climb, even with the air on! Lots of cargo room with back seats down. VERY stable in scary conditions - quick response and recovery. Tire size is NOT standard - hard to find replacements at decent prices. Just now replacing shocks/struts/brakes at 64K miles. Fun to drive, does very well on 4WD roads, extremely reliable.

I love my car
By Ravfan4life on 03/21/06 12:31 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had any problems with my lovely RAV since I drove it off the floor. I can use it to haul anything and it is comfortable and super fun to drive. It is a little light on the ice, but it handles Minnesota winters like a trooper.

Fun, Reliable, Well Built
By Gabe on 03/08/06 16:12 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had almost no problems with my 3 year old RAV 4 after 3 years and more than 60.000 miles. Had a slight rattle on the glove compartment when almost new, easily fixed by a great Toyota dealer service. Mechanically, no problems whatsoever. Also no problems with body or interior components. Only complaint is interior sound insulation which is not "Wrangler- terrible" but could certainly be improved. Some improvement after getting new Michelin highway tires. The engine has good power delivery and reserve for typical use. Highway behavior is excellent and handles more like a sedan. However do not expect the acceleration and torque that comes with much bigger but less fuel effic SUVs

Now We Have Two RAVs
By George on 01/08/06 12:35 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife already has a '03 RAV already that we both enjoy. When the opportunity presented itself to purchase a second we jumped at the chance. These RAVs are the greatest. With a herniated disc, getting in and out of the car is easy. Has loads of get up and go and I love how you sit up high enough to see everything.

sporty and fun
By ChiSox fan on 11/17/05 21:59 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We just traded in our "old man" Malibu for the Rav4 with sport package. It's very stylish and the ride is surprisingly smooth for an SUV. We needed a car that could transport our full-size cornholio (beanbag)game to tailgates outside the ballpark. The Rav didn't come with security/keyless entry, so we went to Bestbuy and had them install the complete keyless entry/security/remote start system which will be nice to have during the Chicago winters. The gas mileage is about the same as we had with the 6 cyl. Malibu. I love this SUV and look forward to many years of driving bliss!

Good, but could use some improvements
By Eric on 10/11/05 15:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car, and she is enjoying it very much, as its been a good car for us. Has a nice ride,very comfortable, does well in the poor weather, and handles great for an SUV. I find the power to be quite adequate(and I Trans Am fairly often!) for most conditions, the only time it is lacking is on steep inclines when the transmission hunts for gears. The negatives are that there is alot of wind, road, and driveline noise that enters the cabin at highway speeds. Also the car has already developed 2 rattles in just over 2 years of ownership - not what I expected from Toyota. Gas mileage is underwhelming for a small car with a small engine, 25mpg is par for highway drives at 65-70.

REAR DOOR OUCH!!!
By Todd on 08/20/05 21:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife overall it is a Toyota (excellent vehicles) however I have been very concerned about the rear door. I have small children and that door is an accident waiting to happen every parent should watch out. What is with the weight of that door? It is a mousetrap and I am concerned that children can be seriously hurt or injured by this poor design. I would keep the car if Toyota could come up with a fix but I’m fearful that children have already been hurt by it. Watch it especially if you live in hilly terrain as we do!!

Best Yet
By Big Pebble on 06/29/05 15:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With a new house I wanted a pre-runner so I could haul things for projects, but it wouldn't fit in my garage so I went with the RAV4 and I've never regretted it. Yeah I can't haul 4x8 sheets of plywood around, but just about everything else. It's been a lot of fun to drive on vacation and business trips (especially with XM on board). From the moment I bought this I knew it was the right vehicle for me. And with gas prices soaring, it's 29 MPG is smart.