2003 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

OK, just OK
By Russ

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car and she loves it except for poor mileage (17mpg in town) and the noise. Good tires would help the noise and ride. Traction is excellent. Seats are good in front and marginal in back. The swing out tailgate with attached spare tire is awkward

Favorite Features

AWD, reliability, superb handling

Suggested Improvements

Better standard tires, better soundproofing, improved mileage

Dependable RAV4
By FRAN

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very dependable and comfortable vehicle. Gas consumption is minimal compared to previous vehicles.

Favorite Features

Quick acceleration and response considering small engine size. Comfortable for long trips.

Great Car!
By Commuter Girl

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased Nov 2003, I commute 160 miles RT four days a week. This car jams! Does 70-80 mph in carpool lane with no shakes. Tended to be really noisy inside until I got high quality tires. Gas mileage really disappointing for such a small car but handles like a dream, has plenty of power to pass vehicles on daily mountain pass climb, even with the air on! Lots of cargo room with back seats down. VERY stable in scary conditions - quick response and recovery. Tire size is NOT standard - hard to find replacements at decent prices. Just now replacing shocks/struts/brakes at 64K miles. Fun to drive, does very well on 4WD roads, extremely reliable.

Favorite Features

I am pretty hard on this car as I drive through mountains, desert and questionable roads daily - It has had NO problems! For such a small vehicle, seats are high and comfortable. Great acceleration, superb air conditioning, hope it will last 350K miles like my previous Toyota pickup!

Suggested Improvements

Rear seats need to fold down FLAT IN BOTH DIRECTIONS for optimum cargo hauling and passenger sleeping. Add an open space between front seats for a purse/bag! Better insulation to tone down inside noise.

I love my car
By Ravfan4life

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had any problems with my lovely RAV since I drove it off the floor. I can use it to haul anything and it is comfortable and super fun to drive. It is a little light on the ice, but it handles Minnesota winters like a trooper.

Favorite Features

I love the turbo engine and how easy it is to load with the cool cargo door.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the back seats folded into the floor - my dogs tend to tear up the backs. I also wish the paint did not chip so easily. The front part of the hood has a lot of dings from gravel on the road. The new model has fixed a lot of the issues and I can't wait to buy a new one!

Fun, Reliable, Well Built
By Gabe

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had almost no problems with my 3 year old RAV 4 after 3 years and more than 60.000 miles. Had a slight rattle on the glove compartment when almost new, easily fixed by a great Toyota dealer service. Mechanically, no problems whatsoever. Also no problems with body or interior components. Only complaint is interior sound insulation which is not "Wrangler- terrible" but could certainly be improved. Some improvement after getting new Michelin highway tires. The engine has good power delivery and reserve for typical use. Highway behavior is excellent and handles more like a sedan. However do not expect the acceleration and torque that comes with much bigger but less fuel effic SUVs

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior design, qulity of materials and details for this price range. Handling manners: SUV visibility, cargo space and AWD capabilities (although not for off-road use) with automobile-handling qualities

Suggested Improvements

Better cabin road and engine sound insulation.

Now We Have Two RAVs
By George

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife already has a '03 RAV already that we both enjoy. When the opportunity presented itself to purchase a second we jumped at the chance. These RAVs are the greatest. With a herniated disc, getting in and out of the car is easy. Has loads of get up and go and I love how you sit up high enough to see everything.

Favorite Features

It's peppy, easy to handle and just a joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A glove box that is a little larger

sporty and fun
By ChiSox fan

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We just traded in our "old man" Malibu for the Rav4 with sport package. It's very stylish and the ride is surprisingly smooth for an SUV. We needed a car that could transport our full-size cornholio (beanbag)game to tailgates outside the ballpark. The Rav didn't come with security/keyless entry, so we went to Bestbuy and had them install the complete keyless entry/security/remote start system which will be nice to have during the Chicago winters. The gas mileage is about the same as we had with the 6 cyl. Malibu. I love this SUV and look forward to many years of driving bliss!

Favorite Features

The sunroof, styling, color scheme of gray and silver (very White Sox-ish) and roominess. Also it's easy to climb in and out of.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the rear door opened from the right instead of the left. Lower spare wheel--it interferes slightly with the rear view. A lighted vanity mirror on the passenger side would be nice too.

Good, but could use some improvements
By Eric

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car, and she is enjoying it very much, as its been a good car for us. Has a nice ride,very comfortable, does well in the poor weather, and handles great for an SUV. I find the power to be quite adequate(and I Trans Am fairly often!) for most conditions, the only time it is lacking is on steep inclines when the transmission hunts for gears. The negatives are that there is alot of wind, road, and driveline noise that enters the cabin at highway speeds. Also the car has already developed 2 rattles in just over 2 years of ownership - not what I expected from Toyota. Gas mileage is underwhelming for a small car with a small engine, 25mpg is par for highway drives at 65-70.

Favorite Features

37,000 miles and not one problem to be spoken of.

Suggested Improvements

More sound insulation for the cabin, transmission could be smoother. Dealership experience was less than stellar.

REAR DOOR OUCH!!!
By Todd

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife overall it is a Toyota (excellent vehicles) however I have been very concerned about the rear door. I have small children and that door is an accident waiting to happen every parent should watch out. What is with the weight of that door? It is a mousetrap and I am concerned that children can be seriously hurt or injured by this poor design. I would keep the car if Toyota could come up with a fix but Iím fearful that children have already been hurt by it. Watch it especially if you live in hilly terrain as we do!!

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the back door. I don't need that huge wheel on the back. Or make it like my 4 Runner.

Best Yet
By Big Pebble

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With a new house I wanted a pre-runner so I could haul things for projects, but it wouldn't fit in my garage so I went with the RAV4 and I've never regretted it. Yeah I can't haul 4x8 sheets of plywood around, but just about everything else. It's been a lot of fun to drive on vacation and business trips (especially with XM on board). From the moment I bought this I knew it was the right vehicle for me. And with gas prices soaring, it's 29 MPG is smart.

Favorite Features

Attracive looks

Suggested Improvements

Flatten the front floorboard to make it more comfortable on long dirve in cruise mode. Make the steering wheel adjustable in length. This would help those with long legs move back a little and still reach the wheel.