Used 2003 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Love my rav4
By palmettosweettea

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchased a 2003 pre-owned RAV4 after owning a 4Runner Sport V8 for over 8 years. I loved my 4Runner and hated to sell it, but it was time to "downsize" to something smaller with better gas mileage. I couldn't be happier!! After one week, I still can't wait to drive it the next day. It's the perfect size for me and fun to drive. I love the large front windshield visibility, tight steering, and turning radius. I look forward to owning this RAV4 for a long long time!! I'm a Toyota fan forever!

Irreplaceable
By seewun

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 7 + years and 82,000 miles. I have replaced tires and battery, but no problems, except starting to get a few rattles. Runs great. I like the styling of this car and it's comfortable ride. I want to upgrade some of the features like keyless entry, variable speed intermittent wipers, fog lights, and some other comfort items, but I don't like the design of the newer models. They lose out on looks and don't have AWD. My choice seems to be enjoy this car until it doesn't run any more and live without the perks, or change to a new kind of car altogether.

Fun to Drive. Great visibility and turning radius. Never gotten stuck in the snow. Perfect size for me (6 foot 3, 225 lbs)

The fabric on the driver's arm rest rubs my elbow raw. The storage spaces in the driver's area seem to be just the wrong size, shallow and narrow. The tonneau cover is great, but there needs to be a light under it.

Shame on Toyota
By KC Cookie

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Our Toyota 2003 Rav4 was very nice. My husband did all the oil changes, rotating tires, brakes and any other kind of maintenance on car. It was fine until about a week ago and our transmission started acting up. We took it to a transmssion shop and they said to replace transmission at $5000. We decided to check out reviews on the internet and found out we weren't the only ones with this problem. I use to trust toyota, but now I feel betrayed. They knew about it and didn't tell the consumer. Besides their Gas pedal problems now they are recalling not the RAV4's, but 2003 Sequoila's. This is for that car's transmission. Go figure ! I'm going to Honda now!

It was very reliable and good in snow, until the transmission started going out.

I think Toyota needs to stop being so greedy. Quit trying to line the pockets of the executives. Don't start putting cheap parts into your cars. If you change your ways you might be able to come out of this not totally losing all of your integrity. You have lost my business though !

Best Car Ever!
By juliev

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Rav for over 4 years, but almost 100,000 miles on it and aside from new brakes, tires and regular maintenance...I've never needed to do anything to it. I love this car, it's perfect for 2 adults and maybe one child and a dog. The only problem I have is the back seat is too small. We have a one year old, with one on they way and we need to upgrade....can't fit 2 car seats in the back unless you want your knees in the glovebox. Aside from back seat, it's a great car with room in the trunk for lots of stuff (including a giant stroller) and it drives great. I would recommend it to anyone!

comfortable, easy and fun to drive, never needed any repairs and I've got over 160,000 miles on it!

Bigger back seat...I know they already did this for the newer versions.

Love this car
By Vinny

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the vehicle used with 15k now at 38K. I keep up with maintenance with battery replacement just done. This has got to be the best vehicle I have every owned, reliable and fun to drive. Just the right size for city driving and parking with excellent gas mileage. I agree with other comments regarding engine underpowered on hills and steep inclines but in total a terrific vehicle. Bottom line I would buy it again. Too bad the new ones are so much larger.

Driving position, control access, fit and finish, reliability.

Put spare tire somewhere else, may be in cargo well, more power for 4 cylinder.

• SUV