Used 2003 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Most Helpful|
excellent
By erwin

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

fun to drive, easy to handle, nice interior, ergonomically designed

Favorite Features

handling

Suggested Improvements

make a bigger engine

Great 'small' SUV
By Juli

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car as a birthday present from my parents. I am very happy with it most of the time, but there are a few annoying things. My car vibrates constantly, especially in the morning when I am stopped. The gas mileage is a little rough and I have to fill up my tank often. The engine is also very small; not too much power. The back set has minimal leg room. On the up side, the car is easy to drive and I love how roomy it is in the front (I don't feel claustrophobic when I drive). I also love the stereo system and how easy it is to park my car. It it nice that the car is comfortable because I do a lot of driving.

Favorite Features

Set up of entire front of car; 'sporty' look; and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine and gas tank, as well as more room in the back seat. Stop the vibrating windows or whatever it is.

Never thought I'd love an SUV!
By Withbellson

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace my '97 Honda Civic. I have owned Toyotas in the past and I have always loved them. However, I was not prepared to fall in love with this car before I had even driven off the dealer's lot for the test drive! Some have mentioned it being underpowered, but I don't find the manual shift to be underpowered at all. It is a little noisy in the cabin, but this is an SUV, not a Lexus sedan.

Favorite Features

I love the manual shift transmission and the adjustable cup holders. Very comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there was a place to put my purse when I am driving and there is someone in the front seat (I know, this is petty and minor). Other than that I love this car!

Great Car!
By allysonb

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Just traded in my 2007 Ford F-150 for the Rav4 to get better fuel economy. I was a little hesitant going from a v8 to a 4 cyl., but this car did not dissapoint! I recently had a spinal fusion and I can drive this car all day without it bothering my back. I am also a single mom of a two year old, this car has room enough for him and all of his "gear" as well as another friend. The gas mileage is great(especialy compared to my F-150).

Favorite Features

As a single mom as well as full time nursing student and part time worker all I was concerned with was practicality and safety...you moms know how it is! not only was this car spacious and has a great safe feeling, it looks cute too. I have no problem accelerating and it stops on a dime. My two year old is over 3 feet and about 50lbs and he is more than comfortable in the back. loading groceries is a dream with the side opening rear end. Stock stereo is amazing. I got the sport edition and LOVE my sunroof!

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had some "newer" features such as thermometer, compass, and aux port. The visor mirrors are a little small, and my break peddle shakes a bit while driving. other than a few minor improvements, this car is awesome!

Great car
By beanbear1

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 2003...it is manual shift though. It is peppy and I can fit both my kids in it and all of our junk. It is reliable and I have no concerns whatsoever. The only issue I have had is had to replace the breaks. Love the car so much that we looked this year to replace our mini-van with something more efficient and considered another RAV-4 (ended up going with the corolla after really thinking do we need two mini-SUVs????)

Favorite Features

All wheel drive!!

Suggested Improvements

None really.