Used 2003 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Best Car Ever!
By juliev

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Rav for over 4 years, but almost 100,000 miles on it and aside from new brakes, tires and regular maintenance...I've never needed to do anything to it. I love this car, it's perfect for 2 adults and maybe one child and a dog. The only problem I have is the back seat is too small. We have a one year old, with one on they way and we need to upgrade....can't fit 2 car seats in the back unless you want your knees in the glovebox. Aside from back seat, it's a great car with room in the trunk for lots of stuff (including a giant stroller) and it drives great. I would recommend it to anyone!

Favorite Features

comfortable, easy and fun to drive, never needed any repairs and I've got over 160,000 miles on it!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seat...I know they already did this for the newer versions.

great car
By Don

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car 4x2 model, gets 26 mpg hwy about 23-24 in town. I have had it since new now with 32k miles. Absolutely no problems. If I were to pick one negative issue if would be slightly underpowered with a.c on when in hilly areas. This is my 4th Toyota, i.e tacoma, tundra, yaris, all good vehicles. Paint on all Japenese cars is excellent. Try one, you will be happy.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, handling,

Suggested Improvements

more power in 4 cyl.

Trustworthy Toyota
By Trustworthy Toyota

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've now had our RAV for 4 years and it's still running like new. We had a Corolla before this that had absolutely zero problems. I perform my own mechanic work so I thought I'd give some feedback in that respect. 55,000 miles with no oil leaks anywhere. Oil filter location is the easiest I've ever experienced. The motor has a timing chain, not a belt. Annoying rattle developed around the glove box and finally narrowed it down to plastic grommets that hold plastic panels under the windshield wipers. A design flaw in my opinion. The battery is tucked under this area which makes it difficult if you ever needed a jump start. We invested in a Black & Decker jump starter just in case.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is wonderful. We can make it about 350 miles on a single tank, which translates to about 30-miles per gallon. Removable back seats allows more cargo area than our Nissan XTerra. And most importantly, it's a Toyota, so it'll never leave us stranded.

Suggested Improvements

Auto transmission has sluggish and downright dangerous response. It would actually seem more powerful if the transmission could keep up with the engine. We're always very careful about passing. I've counted up to a full 3-seconds of high rev before the transmission kicks in.

RAV4 rates #1 for me!!!
By C.B.

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Toyota. Let me list all the things I like about my RAV: it is easy to get into (not as tall as other SUVs), easier to see over the hood while driving, the back door swings from the side, the versatility and configurations of the back seats, the gas mileage, its pretty looks (definitely a girl's car), the short radius for turning, the brakes stopping on a dime. This is all that comes to mind, although I know there must be more regarding the motor and things like that. I believe this will be my last vehicle for many years to come.

Favorite Features

Looks, ease of getting into and out of, ability to look over hood while driving, the display panel is no-nonsense, the various configurations of the back seats, trunk space, the back door opens like a door.

Suggested Improvements

An option for having a pet screen in the trunk space while transporting pets. Seats could be more comfortable, and the ride less jarring; smoother.

I love my car
By Ravfan4life

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had any problems with my lovely RAV since I drove it off the floor. I can use it to haul anything and it is comfortable and super fun to drive. It is a little light on the ice, but it handles Minnesota winters like a trooper.

Favorite Features

I love the turbo engine and how easy it is to load with the cool cargo door.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the back seats folded into the floor - my dogs tend to tear up the backs. I also wish the paint did not chip so easily. The front part of the hood has a lot of dings from gravel on the road. The new model has fixed a lot of the issues and I can't wait to buy a new one!