2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
DISAPPOINTED
By mechanic46 on 02/09/14 21:22 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Rav4, AWD about 10 months ago. It is great to drive, ride and handling are good for it's size, power could use lot of help, and the economy has yet to break 25 MPG-it has dropped since we bought it, it is now down to 19 to 21 MPG. I removed the PCM and sent it to a repair facility to get the transmission problem corrected before it actually failed. The man who is repairing is said that the poor economy could be part of the PCM failing, even thought the transmission area had not failed yet. The outcome of this repair will be the deciding factor whether I keep this car or not.

ECM /Transmission Problem
By abamabam1 on 03/25/13 18:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I rarely write reviews online but I want to share my experience with this vehicle...My RAV4 is in excellent condition until I hit 89K on my 2003 RAV 4 last month when it's started jerking on shifting. I'm 3 months passed out of extended warranty as per TOYOTA 10 YEARS/150,000 miles. I took mycar to the dealer but told me I need to pay $$$$ for the diagnostic and repairs because of out of warranty...Even calling TOYOTA Customer Relation is still no help..This is my last TOYOTA ever...You lost one loyal customer...I traded my RAV4 for a 2013 Honda Accord...

Great car
By beanbear1 on 07/19/12 13:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 2003...it is manual shift though. It is peppy and I can fit both my kids in it and all of our junk. It is reliable and I have no concerns whatsoever. The only issue I have had is had to replace the breaks. Love the car so much that we looked this year to replace our mini-van with something more efficient and considered another RAV-4 (ended up going with the corolla after really thinking do we need two mini-SUVs????)

Transmission Problems...don't buy!
By lmarie0211 on 03/22/12 18:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Rav4 new in 2003. It now has 156,000 miles on it, and the transmission needs replaced. I discovered the problem after trying to merge into traffic with sluggish acceleration. After researching online and reading other reviews on here, these problems are due to a faulty ECM. Toyota extended the warranty to 20 years or 150,000 miles. Of course, my car is 6000 miles over the warranty. Now we're stuck with a $5000 repair. Sure, I drove my car for 156,000 miles, but Toyota built their reputation on reliability. I expected to drive this car another 50,000 miles. Don't trust Toyota. Their only concern is their bottom line, not the safety of their customer.

Good car; not for family
By 1999camry on 02/19/12 09:33 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drive a 99 Camry and love it, so when we has our first child and my wife needed a vehicle to replace her 94 accord coupe we went with Toyota. The RAV (sprt pkg)is sharp looking. We now have two kids, and it has become very cramped. We have had the car for a little over a year now and have had the ck eng light on for most of that time due to a failing cat converter, though we've not had any trouble yet. We also had to replace the main computer because it was causing the tran to slip- Toyota covered this pricey repair at no cost to us (thank you!), despite the fact that we are not the original owner and it is outside the orig warranty.

Good second vehicle
By rav4brian on 01/29/12 21:28 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I gave my son my 03 Corolla S to us for college, so I went out car shopping and after test driving the Rav4 is was hooked, it had a very comfortable drive, I knew I was driving a Toyota, . last winter here in Missouri we had several big snowstorms and blizzards roll through the area, my AWD Rav4 didnt have any difficulty getting around in the deep snow, the corolla would have never made it out of the drive way

Great Car!
By allysonb on 09/21/11 12:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Just traded in my 2007 Ford F-150 for the Rav4 to get better fuel economy. I was a little hesitant going from a v8 to a 4 cyl., but this car did not dissapoint! I recently had a spinal fusion and I can drive this car all day without it bothering my back. I am also a single mom of a two year old, this car has room enough for him and all of his "gear" as well as another friend. The gas mileage is great(especialy compared to my F-150).

Toyota will pay for transmission repairs
By bbeek on 12/30/10 15:12 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just found a link to an article that documents that Toyota will pay for ECM failures/transmission rebuilds. Here is the link:http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/toyota-extends-warranty-on-troubled-2001-3-rav4/. You can call the center in Torrance, Calif at 800-468-7814 for more info. I am going to get back my repair costs of $4300 for a rebuilt transmission and ECM module replacement.

Love my rav4
By palmettosweettea on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchased a 2003 pre-owned RAV4 after owning a 4Runner Sport V8 for over 8 years. I loved my 4Runner and hated to sell it, but it was time to "downsize" to something smaller with better gas mileage. I couldn't be happier!! After one week, I still can't wait to drive it the next day. It's the perfect size for me and fun to drive. I love the large front windshield visibility, tight steering, and turning radius. I look forward to owning this RAV4 for a long long time!! I'm a Toyota fan forever!

Irreplaceable
By seewun on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 7 + years and 82,000 miles. I have replaced tires and battery, but no problems, except starting to get a few rattles. Runs great. I like the styling of this car and it's comfortable ride. I want to upgrade some of the features like keyless entry, variable speed intermittent wipers, fog lights, and some other comfort items, but I don't like the design of the newer models. They lose out on looks and don't have AWD. My choice seems to be enjoy this car until it doesn't run any more and live without the perks, or change to a new kind of car altogether.